Georgia Moon Quality

BrownMan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Greetings, My question is about "Georgia Moon" corn whisky made by the Johnson Distilling Co, Bardstown, KY. Can anyone familiar with this product tell me what quality controls are in place there. Unless I am very much mistaken the product is essentially "first run" with extremely high levels of adehides, ethers and other nasties. Is there a quality standard in the industry that must be met?

The producer is Heaven Hill, a major distillery. The Georgia Moon product is meant to resemble moonshine but don't confuse it with the illegal spirit to which it pays homage. Georgia Moon is made to the same standards as any other commercially-made distilled spirit.

I will add however that Georgia Moon does have a kerosene smell to it that real White Lighting has.

I've always wanted a bottle of this - more for the nostalgia factor, not to drink...

A question, does the jar bottle seal as well as a normal cork or screw top bottle of bourbon? I'd be trying to transit it from the US back to Australia in my checked bags.

It is in a faux fruit/canning jar, very wide mouth lid, I'm sure it is sealed very tight.

Mellow Corn is quite interesting, it is good to try for the experience of young whiskey and it does have it's own charm.

Of the corn whiskeys I've tasted, Mellow Corn is the most enjoyable. It's actually quite drinkable and doesn't taste like a young bourbon. It's its own thing. Both Mellow Corn and Georgia Moon are Heaven Hill products, so it's the same basic distillate. It's just that Mellow Corn is aged (in used barrels) and Georgia Moon is not. Also, Georgia Moon is 80 proof. Mellow Corn is 100-proof BIB, although they may also sell a lower proof version.

There's also a much harder to find 100 proof Georgia Moon.

The best corn whiskey I've had was some old stock AMS...that was some tasty liquor. But Mellow Corn is fairly nice too.

Both products, Georgia Moon and Mellow Corn are available in 80 and 100 proof. We run the most GM in 100...It's (GM) a novelty kind bottling.

Cam, make sure you hand tighten the lid (fruit jar) :grin: :grin: Let me tell ya, if that stuff gets all in your luggage you'd be "smellin" for quite awhile! I hate it when we run Georgia Moon...I don't care for the smell of of raw product. The capper that we use is ancient...must have belonged to the original Mason jar folks :lol: J/K...Its my job to set the capper/filler in all the line changes at Heaven Hill...The fruit jar is challenging...I reek of Georgia Moon all night long...It (the old machine) will flip them out in a heartbeat if it's not set "exactly" right. Takes a entire line of jars to make a test run just to see if you are "close" :bigeyes: :smiley_acbt: :lol:

There's also a much harder to find 100 proof Georgia Moon.

The best corn whiskey I've had was some old stock AMS...that was some tasty liquor. But Mellow Corn is fairly nice too.

Sounds to me that an investment in some plastic wrap would be in order for Cam when he gets in. I'm trying something this year, got some waterproof bags from the camping section in walmart I'm going to wrap up my Gazebo fare in after a good padding. Should be less cumbersome than the boxes and styrofoam I used last time I flew in.

• 9 months later...
Are there good corn whiskies out there? I've never had one.

About a year ago I drank my way through a bottle of Mellow Corn 100 proof. It wasn't bad at all. If memory serves, I was drinking it side by side with OGD BIB, and it was pretty close in both quality & taste. And dirt cheap. Worth a try just for the sake of comparison.

Georgia Moon is a totally different story. Mellow Corn is aged, where Georgia Moon is not.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.