Bourbon Logos on Home Page

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I finally tried to satisfy my curiousity about the bourbon images that appear on the home page. I had been vaguely aware that the image is not always the same, but I wasn't sure how many images may appear and how often they change.

Today I hit the refresh button about 20 times (I'll bet that puts a kink in someone's stats!) and noted the results. About 12 times it was Pappy Van Winkle's logo. About six times it was a bottle of Jefferson's Reserve. The remaining times it was Sam Houston's logo. How strange that the frequency is so skewed in favor of PVW.

Now I'm wondering whether these companies support StraightBourbon.com financially. If so, then maybe I should throw some business their way, not that my arm is all that strong.

For all I know, the bourbons they represent could be Jim's favorites, or maybe they were selected by a vote of the people. Please enlighten me.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Retiree, Musician, Dog-Lover, Whiskey-Drinker

Dave,

Here's my respnse to your ? about why these paticlular labels are featured on Strght. B .com:

Some years ago I came upon Jim's bourbon site and sent him a few corrections concerning some of our brands (Old Rip Van Winkle & David Nicholson 1843).

He promptly made the corrections. Then I noticed that the featured "Bourbon" label on the site was "Early Times". Well, we here in Kentucky, and some places elsewhere, know very well that Early Times is not bourbon now. So I suggested that he put our Van Winkle bourbon label on his site, and he very kindly obliged. Since then, Trey Zoeller who owns Jefferson Reserve and Sam Houston and who has these small boutique brands like mine, has had Jim add his labels to his site. I think Jim promotes those brands who contribute to the site, although I have not seen any respnse on the site from Trey for some time.

My brand is a hand sell product and any publicity I can get is well worth it for me, especially when it is a bunch of bourbon aficonados(freaks) like those who contibute to this forum. (I'm looking forward to seein you guys and girls again in September at the Bourbon Festival in Bardstown in the Gazebo Saturday night).

Regards,

Julian Van Winkle,III

Hi Julian,

We look forward to seeing you in September as well.

I'll be bringing a bottle of Very, Very Old Fitzgerald 12y to share at the gazebo. I'd really like to get your opinion of this bonded relic, from DSP #16, Ky.

Omar

Dave,

There are actually only four labels that can be displayed. 2 are Trey's brands, and 2 Julian's. A piece of javascript randomizes the images when a page request is made of the server.

All of what Julian says in his response to your question is true. I made a gentlemans agreement with Julian that I would display his labels in return for his participation in this forum. So a few years later here we are; I'm showing his labels, he's answering your questions. A good deal for everyone involved.

A cut a similar deal with Trey Zoeller. I don't know if Trey is just shy or what. He assures me of his future participation when I speak to him, but doesnt show. Trey does supply me with bourbon upon request however, and I'm not one to complain about that sort of thing.

I deal with Julian and Trey because I can't resist rooting for the underdog. They are both fine people, and are pushing fine products. That's really what America is all about, isn't it? So the answer is yes; give them your business, I (and they) would appreciate it.

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

I don't mind seeing VanWinkle labels displayed here, the thing I like better is to see them in the admittedly small frequency that they show up in my collection. If there was ever a brand to get hung up on .......... Wouldn't it be nice to be affluent enough that if you wanted you could drink VanWinkle and nothing else unless you just wanted to ? I am a member of The Episcopal Church of the Ascension in Bardstown , recently our Preist retired and I gave him a bottle of 12 YO lot B . I felt at the time it was the best I could do and still do. It was received warmly. I will pay Julian VanWinkle to select a drink for me as often as I can, Thanks Julian , I don't know what it takes to do what you are doing but whatever it is you've got it! I don't have all of them yet but I will fill out my collection with Zoeller's brands . I have Kentucky Pride and Pure Kentucky , need to get Noah's Mill, Rowan's Creek, Jeff Reserve, Houston, I think there are a couple more.

Bobby Cox

Bobby,

Trey Zoeller (Mclain & Kyne) has but two labels; Sam Houston and Jefferson's Reserve. Makes 'em easier to collect!

Cheers,

Jim Butler

Straightbourbon.com

I got confused that will be easier to get I've had Jeff REserve in my hands a few times but sit it back down and picked something else. Those 40 dollar bottles of whiskey , I have a few but I get a little nervous about them everytime.

Bobby Cox

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Jeff's R is fifty smackers here in Virginia Bobby. You're getting a bargin at forty. I wish Trey would come online and shoot the breeze with us the way good ol' Julian does. Now there's a man that knows more about bourbon than I ever will. He told me so himself!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

It's a little over forty but that's still in that"realm of expensive whiskey" I can pay that much from time to time but have a hard time opening them up. My son gave me a RHF for fathers day last year still sealed . As far as Van Winkle goes I think you get what you pay for and they are a little pricey but they are always good.

Bobby Cox

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I do agree with you there Bobby. You've got a sealed bottle of Rock Hill Farms?! Zounds man! Go crack that suckah open and read my tasting while enjoying a full five pants bourbon!

NOOOOOOOOOO Wait! Don't do it!

That is the perfect bourbon with which to grace your table for your Firday evening Straight Bourbon cook out!cool.gif

{What the hell was I thinkin'? Shooooooooo Wheeeeeeeee Doggies!}

Pants Away!

Linn Spencer

Have Shotglass. Will Travel.

Actually I was thinking of a 1.75 of Knob Creek , We'll see . I am looking forward to it . I started my vacation at 5:00PM yesterday and don't go back till after the 1st of July!!! We have a lot to do to get ready for Garden tours at the end of june. After that I will count the days till September. Just to be safe since your coming over I think I'll exchange the contents of a bottle of Pappy VanWinkle and a bottle of Old Crow! (Sorry Julian)

Bobby Cox

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.