A good Bourbon to start with

Guest **DONOTDELETE**
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I just discovered this site and I have to say that I am quite impressed. Now for my Question.... I'm going to be buying my first bottle of bourbon Mon. or Tues. and was looking for some suggestions on a good one to start with. I was considering Maker's Mark until I stumbled across this site. After reading some posts, I now think I might go with Evan Williams Single Barrel. Or maybe Elijah Craig (any versions of this brand I should look for, or stay away from?) As for availability, I live in a city with a population of about 140,000 in No. IL(Rockford), so I should have quite a few brands stocked here, although I haven't looked yet. I also don't want to spend over @30 bucks for a bottle. So if anyone could point me in the right direction, or give me some tips it would be greatly appreciated.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Hunter,

Welcome to the discussion. Any of those are fine bourbons, but don't, <u>DON'T</u> buy just one bottle! You'll either like it or not, but you'll never know why. You need at least three to even begin to understand: By noticing what they all have in common you'll learn what real bourbon flavor is. By noticing the differences among them you'll have something to compare to when reading the ENORMOUS amount of personal opinion (mine certainly included) that you'll find here :-)

-John Lipman-

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

John:

> You need at least three to even begin to understand: By noticing what they

> all have in common you'll learn what real bourbon flavor is.

Wise words. Lately (including this past weekend, in fact) I've taken to taking three widely varying bourbons along with me when visiting someone who's interested in trying bourbon. After a little experimenting, I've settled on a steady assortment of Old Fitzgerald 1849 (wheated), Old Charter 12 YO Classic 90 (big, rich, oaky) and either Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 1990 or Basil Hayden (lighter, less woody). These seem to do the trick of zeroing in on people's taste preferences. Let us know what you try and what you thought, Hunter.

Stotz

I would be inclined to start a beginner at the beginning, with the better "standard" bourbons, i.e., Wild Turkey, Old Fitzgerald, Evan Williams, even Jim Beam. That will give you a baseline from which to go on and explore the better expressions.

However, if you want to start at the higher end, staying within your $30 budget, I would recommend Woodford Reserve or Knob Creek.

--Chuck Cowdery

greetings from another (relative) beginner! i've been reading this board for a few months and would like to offer a blanket "thanks" to the regular contributers: you've taught me a lot...

i'm wondering whether Chuck's post could be expanded a bit by the veteran palates here to become a snapshot overview of what to expect in the world of bourbon.

i'm imagining a grid of sorts, with general "types" along one edge (wheated, high-rye, etc.) and "quality" (cost?) along the other. something i could print out and take with me on my next trip to the store. :)

if this sort of guide is already available somewhere, i'd appreciate a pointer.

thanks!

-ez

thanks! that's a great starting point for me...

BTW, i originally discovered the straightbourbon site through a link on your (Chuck's) site (which i found through a search engine). things fall into place a bit better after reading your articles a second time with a bit more, um..., "experience" under my belt. :)

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I think you would be better off not purchasing an entire bottle at this point in time.

Go on a reconnaissance mission to the bars in your area. Check to see which one has

the most brands at a fair price. After dinner walk there, sit down. Order a shot of Wild Turkey and a glass of ice water.

Sip the shot. Sip the water when you must. Try some of the other "starters" recommended by Mr. Cowdery.

Not too many now. Go home. Try it again with a couple of the same you found most enjoyable and

a new one or two. Do this a few times and you'll begin to get a rough idea what you like or dislike.

I learn so much here it's kinda' scary.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

I found the replies to the inquiry "A Good Bourbon To Start With" most interesting yet feel these really haven't dug as deeply as they could. Delving deeper of course is a realm safely trod by only educated and experienced individuals so I cannot offer worthy comment myself.

The best bourbon is very different for one individual than it is for another, personal likes and dislikes (tastes) play a major role.

However, upon pondering 'ones' favourite bourbon, I believe these may not necessarily, especially for many, be the best so to speak, at least in technical sense. What makes a particular whiskey dear to ones heart could be many things. Tradition of course plays its role, the distillers heritage and such can make one feel proud to consume their product. Similar alliances can be forged due to heritage of a personal nature. For example, I always keep a ottle of Jack Daniels on hand. This is always drunk with a very good friend for old times sake and naturally for old times sake, other whiskeys simply will not do. And course likewise, I shall always find a bottle of Jack Daniels when I visit them. I have many fine memories of Jack Daniels and while I may have since discovered and even preferred others, I consider Tennessee whiskey mighty special and enjoy it equally so. If 22 years ago my bourbon options had been as vast as they are today my memories may have been built upon something other than Old Grand Dad of which I remain so fond. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the best bourbon, in perhaps a technical sense, ain't necessarily the best and the best tasting ain't necessarily the favourite. Whiskey drinkin', to me at least, is a pretty special thing, and a bourbon can bring with it many memories and re kindle old relationships. Things such as there can make a whiskey doubly special.

I like the advice offered you here at this forum to visit a well stocked bar and explore your options. Its always a treat to discover something special in another bottle, although you will not always do so, the hunt they say is the reason for the chase :-)

Now I reckon thats Great Mate - woof!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Glenn said... I found the replies to the inquiry "A Good Bourbon To Start With" most interesting yet feel these really haven't dug as deeply as they could.

Actually, you've come to *exactly* the right source for your answer; you're just not looking in the right spot yet. You can only get a superficial, "down-and-dirty" answer from the responses to your post; the real answer is found in the whole of all the posts that have gone before; you'll need to read them. And even then you'll only have the answer that was true yesterday. You'll probably leave out Glenn's contribution...

... Delving deeper of course is a realm safely trod by only educated and experienced individuals so I cannot offer worthy comment myself.

Of course you can, and you did. And now your own contribution (personal history as a valid criterion) is part of the knowledge. See? We're not going to quote that to the next person who asks "What's the best bourbon?"; probably you won't, either. But it's here in the forum. And months (or years) from now, someone reading your old post from back in July 2000 will change the way they compare whiskey at least partly based on what they learned from you.

Cool, ain't it? Just say, "Thank you, Jim" to Mr. Butler (JBUTLER), whose forum this is.

-John Lipman-

http://w3.one.net/~jeffelle/whiskey

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.