What did George Bush drink?

WineGuy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Does anyone know what his favorite drink was in the 1970's and 1980's? I thought I heard Jim Beam, but that does not make sense. He was a rich guy and could afford better than a bottle of Jim Beam White.

An article say Bush describes his drinking as the four B's: beer, bourbon and B&B...money can't buy taste, nor does it make one an expert in every subject. I would not doubt that he was drinking Beam White, it's a huge brand everyone knows, in most company pulling out Beam would be considered perfectly acceptable, it wouldn't make you look cheap (especially 20+ years ago).

My favorite gag about George Bush's drinking was the comedian who pointed out that George Bush was busted for drunk driving in the 70s, "and do you remember how drunk you had to be to be arrested for drunk driving in the 70s?"

An article say Bush describes his drinking as the four B's: beer, bourbon and B&B...money can't buy taste, nor does it make one an expert in every subject. I would not doubt that he was drinking Beam White, it's a huge brand everyone knows, in most company pulling out Beam would be considered perfectly acceptable, it wouldn't make you look cheap (especially 20+ years ago).

I guess that makes sense. I figured if someone has millions of dollars in the bank they won't buy the $10 bottle when they can get a $40 bottle that is just as popular.

When I was in college Jack Daniels was the most popular hard drink for those who could afford it. I don't remember anyone drinking Jim Beam.

Remember, there was no such thing as premium bourbon in the 70s nor, for that matter, even premium scotch except for overpriced blends.

The pot was a lot cheaper too.

My favorite gag about George Bush's drinking was the comedian who pointed out that George Bush was busted for drunk driving in the 70s, "and do you remember how drunk you had to be to be arrested for drunk driving in the 70s?"

Hahaha. That's a good one!

Chuck,

You (or he) got that right!

In 1973 a co-worker was arrested for DWI in his own driveway.

By his own admission he was an accomplished drunk driver. This particular evening was like many others up until the last half-block of his trip. After he closed down his favorite bar, he found his car with only a little difficulty. On the trip home his car would have looked very suspicious in L.A. as he drove more slowly than the speed limit and came to a complete stop at all stop signals.

Then he turned the corner onto his block and saw fire trucks ahead. Just before turning into his driveway he ran over a fire hose, which set off a series events that led to the loss of his license.

He considered the whole epsiode nothing but bad luck, saying "Hell, I drove home drunker than that lots of times with no problem."

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I guess that makes sense. I figured if someone has millions of dollars in the bank they won't buy the $10 bottle when they can get a $40 bottle that is just as popular.

Well one way to keep millions in the bank is to not spend it needlessly.

And how drunk was he in 1976 when he got the DUI...drunk enough to get his license suspended until 1978!

Remember, there was no such thing as premium bourbon in the 70s nor, for that matter, even premium scotch except for overpriced blends.

Did Jeam Beam taste better in the 1970's than today?

I assume you mean the one to piss in :rolleyes:

How about the window to throw it out of? Was it cheaper to :slappin:

I assume you mean the one to piss in :rolleyes:

How about the window to throw it out of? Was it cheaper to :slappin:

Nah, I think he was referring to the cast iron variety...have you seen what Lodge is charging for some of it's stuff these days?

I am sure it was. I never drank JB White in the 70's but I can tell you that it was much better than today in the 80's. There was a glut of bourbon in the warehouses and the stuff they bottled was older that the stuff they bottle with a white label today.

Ed

There's an accurate saying about the wealthy and how they got there......they spend less money!

And don't be so fast to put JB White and Bush together. He spent a lot of the '70's in Texas.....and the "well" bourbon back then was more than likely Weller Special Reserve. It still is in many bars here and untill recently was well priced too. Weller's biggest market has always been in Texas and they have promoted the brand/pricing hard from the beginning.

Randy

I have a bottle of Bonded Beam that was made in 1964 and bottled in 1972 and it is much better than any 7-8 year old Beam made today. Even the Bonded Beam from the 1980's was better than todays Beam!

Thomas

I recollect reading somewhere that Reagan's favorite bourbon was Maker's Mark.

G W Bush is no Ronald Reagan.

JB WL? Yeah, I can believe that.

Isn't it also possible that since he is a politician Jim Beam was the "correct" choice? It would make him appear to be like the average American and appeal to more voters...

Isn't it also possible that since he is a politician Jim Beam was the "correct" choice? It would make him appear to be like the average American and appeal to more voters...

In the 70's I would imagine he was more interested in getting loaded than garnering votes.

Randy mentioned Weller as having been/is popular in TX. I had originaly figured he had been a TW man but Randy has a good point.

Give me a break. After the first pour, did [does] anybody really care what JB [white/black] tastes like, now, or 30 years ago?

Beam white was a much better Bourbon in the 70s, but then so were most other name brands.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.