Kirsch?

Sijan
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Anyone know much about Kirsch? Right now I just know what I read on wikipedia. Seems to be a sort of cherry brandy, but isn't sweet?

What's a good brand to get for someone to see if they like it or not? (Ideally high QPR - affordable, but good.)

How best to serve and drink?

I have a bottle... I use it mostly for cooking. Also makes a great addition to other drinks to ick up the heavy sherry touches.

You can get the mid level E&J Brandy. About 25-35 a bottle.

I know from selling it in Australia (we only have a couple of brands) that people tend to make Champagne cocktails with it. That is simply mix it with Champagne.

Chambord is becoming very popular here also, it is a French black raspberry liqueur. Again some mix it with Champagne, some people simply drink it with Lemonade.

Scott

Kirschwasser: Cherry water in German, is just a cherry brandy. It is not a sweet drink and is usually consumed after dinner as a digestif. My favorite brand is the Kammer Black Forest Kirschwasser. About $40 a bottle give or take.

Kirschwasser: Cherry water in German, is just a cherry brandy. It is not a sweet drink and is usually consumed after dinner as a digestif. My favorite brand is the Kammer Black Forest Kirschwasser. About $40 a bottle give or take.

This is the one I would recommend as well. I have only used this for cooking. Have sipped it but not my cup of tea:cool:

I've had the Kammer. It's good, but I feel the Clear Creek is better. It's about $25 for a 375ml bottle.

There are some Dutch cherry brandies on the market that may be cheaper and are available in the States:De Kuyper cherry brandy

Bols cherry brandy

Boomsma cherry brandy

These are the most common ones in the Netherlands.

Eric.

Another fan of Clear Creek in Oregon. Their Kirschwasser is wonderful stuff, and due to the quality of their products I think it's good QPR. The website has some info on finding their products locally. (Note - their apple brandy is great as well)

http://www.clearcreekdistillery.com/

If you just want some kirsch for cooking (a 'secret ingredient' in good fondue) then Hiram Walker kirschwasser is fine. I try to reserve my clear creek for dessert. It's not sweet, but it is a fine 'digestif'.

Talking about using it in the kitchen,in the 70`s&80`s there was a French cheese on the market called Gourmandise which was a very young cheese like Port Salute only there was put Kirsch in it during preparation,a nice sweetish taste it had,i only saw it once about 10 years ago for the last time when i was passing trough Paris.

Eric.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.