Mellow Corn BIB and JW Corn Online Availability

gothbat
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I just got confirmation from Heaven Hill that these 2 bottles are not available for sale anywhere in NJ, the only similar thing they are selling here is Georgia Moon which I have already tried. Neither brand appears to be available in PA either, NY I am not sure about yet. I've also done quite a bit of searching online for this whiskey but couldn't find any stores that sell it using google after checking with all of the major online retailers. Just wondering if there was a place I missed that has Mellow Corn BIB and/or JW Corn for sale. Anyone? I've been wanting to try both of these (Mellow Corn moreso...) for a while now.

I've never seen JW Corn, even in TN/KY. A couple years ago it was difficult to find Mellow Corn even in KY. Last year when I was down I saw it in all the major stores.

Mellow Corn is worth trying, it is very nice and unique. Flavors of corn and corn oil. Nothing at all like Georgia Moon. (A ton better) Excellent palate cleaner when switching between very different whiskies.

I have to say I finally found a bottle of Mellow Corn in Kansas. I really hope you find some - somewhere it truly worth finding and drinking! Right now trying to get some Platte Valley that is BIB - I figure the current stuff on the shelf might not be as good as this older stuff. Good luck with the hunt for Mellow Corn and JW ; if I see any online I will post back here.

I'm not familiar with JW Corn but I saw Mellow Corn just yesterday at the Hurstbourne Road Liquor Barn in Louisville. Strangely, although it was on the shelf with Georgia Moon and Platte Valley (in a stoneware jug), they were next to grappa on one side and American Blended Whiskey (i.e., Seagram's Seven) on the other.

That store now has two entire facing shelving units devoted to bourbon, as God intended, and so they have moved the American blends into a nearby but noncontiguous unit with Canadian blends on one side and brandy on the other. Grappa is a form of brandy. Not sure why the corns were there. I would argue that they should be with the ryes, which occupy a small part of the bourbon section, since corn is straight whiskey, like bourbon and rye and unlike the blends.

Also interesting: they have eliminated their small "bonds" section and integrated the bonded bourbons with like or related non-bonds.

I just got some more information from Heaven Hill about Mellow Corn distribution that I thought I would share in case anyone else was looking for this bottle, this is a product that is only distributed in GA, KS, KY, and TN. I did some checking and these are all states that most stores will not ship to so I assume there will be no online retailers selling this. I don't know anything about the distribution of JW Corn but it looks like we won't be finding this online anytime soon.

I've never looked for Corn Whiskey before until I found and tried a dusty bottle of Stillbrook Corn Whiskey BIG. I saw this thread and read it as well.

So, I went into one of my local VA ABC stores today and what did I find on the shelf? Mellow Corn BIB and J.W. Corn 100pf. The JWC was only available in .375, but for $6.50 I figured, how could I go wrong? It's not a BIB, despite its proof, but it is 4 years old, and very dark for a corn whiskey. I'll be trying it later and post my impressions.

Ok, I opened up the J.W. Corn. It's another Heaven Hill product.

When I first tried it, I was very surprised. It was very bourbon-like. Rich, nice intensity, good mouthfeel and decent finish.

The color is not as red as a bourbon, more the color of watered down coke.

The nose is caramel and a bit of wood, which I wouldn't normally expect for a 4yo.

For taste I noted caramel, banana, a little anise and a hint of spearmint and menthol. It had some char on finish, and right at the tip of the tongue a kind of acidity, but not unpleasant, with honey.

I recommend this whiskey without reservation. Very good stuff.

I buy Mellow Corn here in Kansas at 11 per 750ML. Havent seen any JW Corn - but after reading the notes in this thread will ask my favorite store if they will try and get some! I can get Mellow Corn thru the same store now have 1 opened bottle and 3 put away for later (never know when a shortage could arise).:cool:

Thanks for sharing, Mark; they're good notes and they make me want to try it even more! Be sure to let us know your impressions on the Mellow Corn BIB when you get around to it.

I just got some more information from Heaven Hill about Mellow Corn distribution that I thought I would share in case anyone else was looking for this bottle, this is a product that is only distributed in GA, KS, KY, and TN. I did some checking and these are all states that most stores will not ship to so I assume there will be no online retailers selling this. I don't know anything about the distribution of JW Corn but it looks like we won't be finding this online anytime soon.

I just saw it on a shelf in Oklahoma City on Tuesday.

I just saw it on a shelf in Oklahoma City on Tuesday.

Maybe that's a good sign since I guess it's possible that the person from HH who told me that had some out of date information. On the other hand maybe it was just left over from a time when that whiskey was distributed in that state. Seeing as how you're the second to find it in a state that is not GA, KS, KY, or TN maybe it's possible I'll find one in NJ or in my travels to a neighboring state someday.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.