going to lewwy ville KY

spun_cookie
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Did not mean this to seem so cryptic… it read better last night…

My question really is, since I will be there on a Sunday, is there things I can see. Are the local attractions open on Sunday for tours?

From what I have found most things are closed (distilleries that is) on Sunday.

Anyone recommend what I could do for a full day on Sunday?

Dinner plans are at the Bourbons Bistro, but other than that I have no plans yet.

I will be there June 7th (very late) and the leave on Monday and do not have a lot of time on Monday before I fly to Boston….

Sunday, as I can tell you from some recent experience, is pretty dead in the "Fourth Street Live" entertainment district downtown. I'm going to assume you will have a car, since without one most advice won't be of much value to you, as public transportation there is not very useful.

I find it interesting to drive out to Shively, down 7th Street Road (an extension of 7th Street in Louisville, hence easy to find), where all the distilleries used to be and one (Brown-Forman) still is. Stitzel-Weller is there as well, though a little harder to find (use Google or MapQuest), and Diageo is using the warehouses, so the place isn't completely dead.

I like Main Street along the river, which is where the distillers, rectifiers and wholesalers all had their offices in the old days. Assuming you are staying downtown or going downtown, you won't need a car for all this stuff.

Main Street has the largest collection of cast iron facades outside of New York City. The Louisville Slugger Museum, Frazier International History Museum, Louisville Science Center and Muhammad Ali Center are all in that same small area, and it's fun to go up on the Belvedere to just watch the barges on the river. Just across the river is the Falls of the Ohio state park.

The neighborhood around Bourbon's Bistro also is very nice to just walk around in. Frankfort Avenue runs along a ridge and it's interesting how quickly it drops off on the side streets. River city topography is frequently very challenging.

And they may still be running at Churchill Downs.

Churchill is running on Sunday the 8th. (gate open 11:30 first race 1:15)

Slugger is open noon to 5 that day. Ali center same hours. Louisville Science Center noon to 6.

Louisville Bats play Indy at 6:15

Lunch Cruise w/ Bluegrass band on the Belle of Louisville 1:30 to 4:00

Current plans have me home then, so I may be able to meet you and act as a tour guide.

By the way, it's pronounced lew-uh-vul, like you have a mouth full of marbles. But my favorite local pronunciation is for the Indiana town of New Albany, which is pronounced nall-bnee. Mumbling is a good way to approximate any local pronunciation.

Thank gents... Tim... that would be great... I will touch base as we get closer...

I will have a car. I rent enough national cars in a year that I put more miles on their cars than my own....

Churchill Downs and the museums would make up a pretty decent Sunday. I also second the suggestion about the trip to Shively to see all the history.

As noted, pronouncing it lewwy-ville would mark you as an outsider, not that there aren't plenty of those around. I'm a newcomer, myself, but I've got the "LOO uh vuhl" down. It's sort of the way the English pronounce Worcestershire.

Just so y'all know... I know it is "LOO uh vuhl" . My wife is from "Masura" and my roots are in the south

This may have been a poor spot to be a "smart"... but, definitly appriciate the words of protection... :)

Was on a Southwest flight last week, and saw this in their Spirit Magazine:

http://www.spiritmag.com/2008_04/features/ft1.php

Maybe you'll find some ideas in it.

Cheers!

JOE

If you look under "mostly B" you'll see the "Text Rain", a really neat little piece in the art museum that is attached to Proof On Main, a downtown restaurant and bar. Ed, Patty, Randy, Val, Leslie and myself had dinner there last September. Really neat place and really fun to go to the restroom:lol:

I seriously recommend spending a bit of time at the Derby Museum (even after being there more times than I can count, I still get chills) at Churchill Downs and taking in some races while sipping on mint juleps. (Try to get them at an actual bar rather than the freestanding ones; otherwise you're getting premixed early times). If horseracing isn't your thing, the Muhammed Ali museum is truly incredible. If you're staying downtown, stop by the Old Seelbach bar for a drink. Ask to see the Rathskeller. It's the only room of its kind in the US. It used to be a functional bar but now its only used for parties. I imagine once you get to Bourbons Bistro the rest of your night is set. You won't want to leave. Enjoy!

BTW-if you're driving and end up having too much to drink, you can use a service called City Scoot. They will pick you up and drive your car for you. It's cheaper than a cab!

Nice thank you Jane.. We will be staying a the Seelbach... THe Brown had a three night Min.

By all means, see the Seelbach's Rathskeller, but you don't have to ask. It's in the basement, impossible to miss. The doors are always open and the lights are always on, dimly. I never miss a chance to just stand in there for a few minutes. Great room.

• 1 month later...

Great trip. I will post the Bourbon Crusade in the next post. Had the Rath Bourbon and Rye... good stuff

It was a great time. For the band in the Bourbon Crusade ... here are our adventures – warning, long story:

I landed about 2:30PM on Saturday and meet Bucc58 at the airport. We rented a big old Jeep Commander and met Birdman and Barturtle at the Seelbach.

At that point we shared in Birdman's FR120th & and newly possed FR Super Premium, Barturtle's WTKS Bourbon Society bottle, and my WLW Centennial Julio’s Version. About 2-3 drinks in we moved to the Seelbach bar downstairs.

At the Seelbach we have 1-2 drinks each, got to try a couple new ones - Rathskeller Rye and Bourbon. Bucc had his PVW 23, bird hit a couple as well as our trusty tour guide BarTurtle.

Now this is where the walking (and whining) started. icon_mrgreen.gif

We hot footed it over to the Jockey Silks Bourbon Bar and had quite a few half drinks to taste as many as we could (it was a crusade you see).... I think I "shared" about 6 drinks with bucc (the official Bourbon Crusade Dump Bucc'et knocking them down for the final count). A couple that I had that are not on the BE list were the Original Barrel and Bear BIB. I posted reviews of the others. Lots of Older bourbons here. But many of them had the taste of older bourbons. Open way to long... A must visit though. The towns best selection of older bourbons.

Then it was on to dinner at the Park Place on Main. Good selection where we had the 05 Fall Staggs. Last of the bottle and hit was quite harsh, but they gave me a phat pour that dump bucc'et nailed at the end for me. Bucc had the Vintage Bourbon flight 17. 21. and 23yr. Good selection and a good value for the bourbon. May have been the best per pour value of the trail. We had a great dinner that was extremely filling. Damn near slowed us to a crawl we were so stuffed. A nice bonus was the near full (missing one drink) bottle of Stagg Spring 05 KY only Stagg, that they sold me for $75 (whoo-hoo).

On our slow way back toward the Seelbach, we hit Proof on Main. Nice bar, ritzier crowd. Great bar tenders though. Fun chatting with them for 1-2 drinks.... I started to slow at this point (no drinks) so that I could be "legal" to go and get Devin. After that feast and an extra hour, definitely below the limit…

Our Journeys then took us to the Maker's Mark Bar. Bucc and company will have to fill y'all in here, this is when I left to go get Devin and took him on a trip around Louisville by accident... dee-dee-dee. The GPS I used had a hiccup and took us the right direction, then took us off to the outskirts, before taking us back... 10 min ride turned into 40... we saw a lot of the back area of Louisville though .. err icon_redface.gif - MM has a very loud crowd down on 4th, but this is not the 4th street story yet... that comes later, much later.... Toght the remaining Crusades said the guy next to them got a double shot of VB 23 in a shot, hammered it back and proceeded to share it with the Knights hahah-hahaha sorry I “missed” that experience

After I picked up Devin we drove rather that walked to the last two of the night... folks were whining big about the distances.. so off to the Bar at BLU. Now this is a must visit place, but skip the bourbon if you can. Highest price, least value per pour, but you have to see the art in this place. Can't wait to take my wife. The whole damn place is a trip. Very, VERY yuppie... but a must see for your stamp in the Urban Bourbon Trail and the craziness..... we bailed here early after a $24 tab for 1 Knobb and 1 FRSB...

Then over to the Brown. Nice place. Very small bar.. very small. 4-5 people deep for the smallest bar in town. We found their ER101 on the shelf they did not have and we (DZell, Birdman, BarTurtle and I) got a glass - $10 a pop - ouch and Bucc got a pint of JB Black - for $10... now that was a value (no kidding a pint glass with ice and JBB to the top)... this is where the bucc really kicked in.

After those, we headed back to the Seelbach, had a few glasses of the above mentioned bourbons until about 3:15AM when security came and told us that we were being a tad bit loud... like the entire floor was pissed at us.. .opps... so we went down for a last call.

This is where the 4th street live fun started. There is a night club above the 1st floor bars. Since the close doors at 4:15, I talked the bouncers into letting us in for free... good folks.. then we had some WT 101 and hit the dance floor (at least Bucc and I did - the others are voyeurs)... out of no where, this drop dead HOTTY icon_drool.gif came up to Bucc, grabbed him and proceeded to fornicate omg.gif (just about) on the dance floor with him (Devin has pictures flash.gif ... no kidding) for about 10 min. Then after she stumbled off, another came up and did the same thing for 2-3 min... AMAZING... we then danced until 4:15 when the kicked us all out.

The crusade then took us to White Castle. Barturtle took his leave and the four remaining true Knight's of the Bourbon Crusade proceeded over and got a suitcase of white Castle Burgers and some chicken... headed back to the room and mowed through those 34 burgers... until about 5:30AM when Bucc and Bird moved on to sleep time... Devin and I cleaned the room a little and crashed around 6AM to start the tour process about 10:AM...

Long trip out to MM. Grabbed some Arby's and continued the long, slow (or not so slow icon_twisted.gif ) trip down single lane roads (that 2-ways of traffic travel) that twists back and forth, and back and forth, and back and forth, and up and down, and back and forth... pour icon_rolleyes.gif Bucc in the far back where it is the highest and hottest in the car did the speaking in techni-color puke.gif discussion back in the forest at MM before the tour....

Short story for the tours is we went to MM (do not go on Sunday's - just don't do it), dipped some bottles and headed to HH. Got some goodies and headed out to the Seelbach to pick up Everman.

We met up with Ryan from Julio's and his crew, Everman and we were 10 deep in the joined Knighthood on the way to the Bourbon Bistro. We meet up with Sir BourbonV and had a wonderful mean and lots of good bourbon. We have a great “supper” picture to share where our Devine Veach is center stage … angel7.gif … We then sat out on the back porch and consumed many-a-bourbon, told stories and had a kick ass time...

Headed back to the hotel and this is where your humble narrator’s story ends... I caught a 6AM flight to Orlando for Work and the rest of those dirty bastards had a blast tasting 20 barrels at BT along with a killer tour of the facilities... lucky-dogs icon_mrgreen.gif

Left to Right:

Spun_cookie, Everman, DZell, Birdman, BarTurtle, BourbonV, Bucc, Havoc (Ryan From Julio's), Stagg Party, Unknown (Ryan's Guest), Unknown (Ryan's Guest)

post-2939-14489814257731_thumb.jpg

That picture is blasphemy I say! Blasphemy!

But I'll bet Mike V. didn't turn the bourbon into wine.

That picture is great.

So does the picture at that fourth street live bar (is it the one next to CVS?) confirm that the girls were hotties, or did it just seem that way after a night of drinking?

There's a cooler full of nothing but Red Bull just inside the door of that CVS. I imagine they get a lot of after-midnight Red Bull business.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.