I.W. Harper

Hedmans Brorsa
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Roger sorry, what is the distillery of manufacture marked on your Harper BIB and when was it made?

Gary

Is there both a Harper's President's Reserve AND a Hancock's President's Reserve? I guess there really is. I had always thought that it was a typo, but now it looks like a good case to take money out of a couple of distilleries pockets and into some lawyers pockets in the Ridgewood/Woodford tradition.

Here is the BT product Hancock's PR, which could easily be/have been SW whiskey. I wonder if that is what Mike Veach meant.

My understanding had always been that Harper and Charter were at the lowest end of rye content of ryed bourbons, but adding wheat whiskey would make an even lower rye content. ;)

Could it....no surely not... but could it be..... that SW AND ET whisk(e)y went into the SAME VAT and made...4-grain bourbon?????????? Shazamm!

Roger

Roger sorry, what is the distillery of manufacture marked on your Harper BIB and when was it made?

Gary

Check out This post. The first "Lousiville" paragraph discusses the Harper.

Roger

PS to Gary: Why are you sorry?

Thanks Roger. Reason I said "sorry" was you said "Shively 354" and I thought, well, if that is where that BIB was made, I shouldn't ask you again. :) I didn't understand the reference to Shively 354 but I see now at any rate that the Harper BIB was made at Bernheim and presumably in a period before the '91 rebuild when it was distilling (since distilling wasn't continuous there). Speaking of DSP No. 1, the old Belmont plant, on the gift Randy gave me of a full bottle of Belmont Bourbon (18 years old, distilled apparently in '99 - that's 1899 folks), the distillery number stated is not 1, but rather 412. The label has the well-known bell logo and appears to be from that original Belmont distillery, it states 5th district, but says "Registered Distillery No. 412, Louisville, KY". The drink itself is very interesting: clearly very old (the lead seal looked completely genuine as did the aged mottled cork), clearly a strong liquor but not tasting of bourbon or whiskey as we know it today. The most prominent taste is caramel-like and the drink is quite mild-flavored but perfumed at the same time. It may have changed in the bottle. It is an amazing artifact to have survived so long and I am very grateful to Randy for gifting it to me in the interests of historical research.

Gary

Here is the BT product Hancock's PR, which could easily be/have been SW whiskey. I wonder if that is what Mike Veach meant.

Roger

Mike Veach is a serious and accomplished researcher of these and other historical matters and I do not believe he would have made such a mistake. And if he had, he would have corrected it, quickly.

Tim

Mike Veach is a serious and accomplished researcher of these and other historical matters and I do not believe he would have made such a mistake. And if he had, he would have corrected it, quickly.

Tim

That's what I think, too. The similarities of the two names still throw me, however.

Roger

i had to laugh, I was doing a search for threads concerning Old Charter and low and behold up pops this thread. Old charter 10 yo is part of something I'm researching right now. Judging by past comments, it seems to be a reasonably good every day pour. Is the 12 yo still available? or the OCPR?

Mark/Nebraska

Is there both a Harper's President's Reserve AND a Hancock's President's Reserve?

And Woodford Reserve Presidents Reserve, maybe Brown Forman could start the lawsuit, I think they came late to this table however.

i had to laugh, I was doing a search for threads concerning Old Charter and low and behold up pops this thread. Old charter 10 yo is part of something I'm researching right now. Judging by past comments, it seems to be a reasonably good every day pour. Is the 12 yo still available? or the OCPR?

Mark/Nebraska

The 8, 10, 12 and PR all seem to still be available, but it may depend on where you are geographically. The 7yo BIB though seems to be a goner.:smiley_acbt:

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite a puzzle. Now for my question. I have a bottle of I.W. Harper 15 year old that was originally from the bourbon heritage collection. it was made in 1995. I found it while vacationing in Florida last year. Where was this particular version made? I have a particular interest in this brand as it is also my last name!

Thomas

Sorry to bump this thread, again, but I was trying to find some info out on where that same bottle of I W Harper 15 year mentioned by Thomas was distilled and found it to be totally confusing!

So Thomas, did you open yours yet and if so how is it? I think I will just open it up here real soon and enjoy the nice looking bottle regardless of where it may be from...

I got to taste a bottle of the Gold Medal I W Harper and was very happy with it , I guess that was why I was so dissappointed when I could not find it . There may be a bottle somewhere I haven't gone looking for treasures lately. It was priced a little steep relatively speaking about $35.00 for 750ml and at 80 proof .

Bobby Cox

I just happened to walk into a liquor store near the place I am living at now and there was 3 bottles of Tax Stamped I W Harper and I think they were the gold medal, but at only $18.99 for liter bottles it just doesn't seem like it could be the same bourbon you are referring to Bobby. Either way I'll probably pick one up and post a picture, if you or anyone else is interested the owner said he has a WHOLE CASE of it in the back. They were tax stamped with numbers so they've been around a while.

Just a clarification, the IW Harper at the store near me is in fact Gold Medal, 86 proof, QUART bottles not Liters. It'd be nice to know what distillery this came from, but from reading all the stuff I did it sounds like knowing is pretty much impossible.

I was going to be doing laundry tonite, but since the laundromat had a last load at 8:00 time, I may instead go to the bank machine and then go pick up on of those Harpers and give it a good sampling... We'll just have to see...

I just happened to walk into a liquor store near the place I am living at now and there was 3 bottles of Tax Stamped I W Harper and I think they were the gold medal, but at only $18.99 for liter bottles it just doesn't seem like it could be the same bourbon you are referring to Bobby. Either way I'll probably pick one up and post a picture, if you or anyone else is interested the owner said he has a WHOLE CASE of it in the back. They were tax stamped with numbers so they've been around a while.

Just a clarification, the IW Harper at the store near me is in fact Gold Medal, 86 proof, QUART bottles not Liters. It'd be nice to know what distillery this came from, but from reading all the stuff I did it sounds like knowing is pretty much impossible.

I was going to be doing laundry tonite, but since the laundromat had a last load at 8:00 time, I may instead go to the bank machine and then go pick up on of those Harpers and give it a good sampling... We'll just have to see...

This is a bump. I want to hear what the experts have to say to Virus' find.

Ed

Hey, Christian. There's actually quite a bit of that 86 proof IW Harper floating around California. I saw a couple of 1.75s yesterday. The 80 proof is even more common but the 86 can be had as well. I LOVE that stuff. Definitely give it a try. My guess is that you'll be going back for more. For quarts that's a decent price. I've been able to get newer metric bottles for a little bit cheaper, but the older whiskey is always more interesting.

Best.

-Mike

Hey, Christian. There's actually quite a bit of that 86 proof IW Harper floating around California. I saw a couple of 1.75s yesterday. The 80 proof is even more common but the 86 can be had as well. I LOVE that stuff. Definitely give it a try. My guess is that you'll be going back for more. For quarts that's a decent price. I've been able to get newer metric bottles for a little bit cheaper, but the older whiskey is always more interesting.

Best.

-Mike

Tried it this past weekend at Jim's place and it was phenomonal! I remember you telling me about it now Mike, and you are right its just more full and rich than most current whiskeys... I will be picking up whatever he has left, it'd be nice to get a good deal on it, but I am not going to hold my breath as he was trying to tell me how great of a price it already was for such an old whiskey! :lol: Yeah like he knew anything about it!...

I have opened my I.W.Harper 15yr. bottle and it isn't bad but not the best I've ever had either. Since my last name is also Harper it is quite a gimmick for me. Since this whiskey is no longer plentiful, I usually get it out every November and have a drink or 2 for my birthday. I really like the gold veined bottle it came and and plan to make mine into a lamp for my bar. As far as the Gold medal 86 and 100 proof, it has been nearly 25 years since I have tasted any. I remember my uncle buying my dad a bottle for a christmas gift because of the name. One night when mom and sis were gone, dad and I had mixed drinks from it. My 1st drink was made with whiskey that had my last name on the label. Someday I'll come across an old bottle of gold medal and try it again. I would especially like to try the 100 proof!

Thomas

I..W. Harper is very popular in Japan and there are a lot of Japanese-Americans in California. I wonder if Diageo is starting to make it more available in California because there is a demand for it in the Japanese community?

Since the Japanese-American community is huge in Hawaii, I wonder if it's sold there? I don't think we have many members here from Hawaii, if any. Must have better things to do, what with living in paradise and all.

Since the Japanese-American community is huge in Hawaii, I wonder if it's sold there? I don't think we have many members here from Hawaii, if any. Must have better things to do, what with living in paradise and all.

Paradise without bourbon? That doesn't sound quite right...

Ed

I..W. Harper is very popular in Japan and there are a lot of Japanese-Americans in California. I wonder if Diageo is starting to make it more available in California because there is a demand for it in the Japanese community?

Have any of you Non-Japanese fans of I.W. Harper had a chance to taste the current expression of Gold Medal 80 proof no age statement that is available in Japan. I quite like it. I would probably like it better at a higher proof and a little older, but then again, I like it for what it is, and sometimes, it is the only perfect pour.

Ed

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if you can buy IW Harper online? I've looked all over the web, but found nothing.

Susieq (does the q stand for quatro, by the way?),

I´m not sure where you are located but this place will ship to the US and many other places. They currently stock two versions of the Harper 12yo. Last time I checked they also carried the gold medal bottling for an exceedingly high price but it seems to be gone now.

http://www.spirituosen-superbillig.de/

• 2 weeks later...

With my new appreciation for older bottles of IW Harper, I have become very alert when in liquor stores and recently (finally) came across a BiB version. There's a little evaporation, but for the very reasonable price of $8.99 + tax, I wasn't complaining. It is tax stripped with a upc on the back, distilled at DSP-KY-1 and bottled at DSP-IN-2, 750ml so it's not as old as the 86 proof versions I found, but probably pretty close. Looking forward to tasting the two side by side.

post-1291-14489812505032_thumb.jpg

post-1291-14489812505426_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
With my new appreciation for older bottles of IW Harper, I have become very alert when in liquor stores and recently (finally) came across a BiB version. There's a little evaporation, but for the very reasonable price of $8.99 + tax, I wasn't complaining. It is tax stripped with a upc on the back, distilled at DSP-KY-1 and bottled at DSP-IN-2, 750ml so it's not as old as the 86 proof versions I found, but probably pretty close. Looking forward to tasting the two side by side.

Just found this forum. DSP-IN-2 belonged to Schenley Distillers and was closed/sold in ~1988 when the bottling operation was moved to Louisville at the Old Fitzgerald Distillery (also owned at that time under the Schemley name). I was QC manager at the Old Fitz plant them. The Bourbon continued to be distilled at the Louisville Bernheim Distillery. In 1992 we built an upgraded distillery on the Bernheim site. In 1999, I had the honor to become the Master Distiller of the Bernheim facility. In 2002, I took another job in Florida.

Looks like that all is in the past now - I don't see any Bourbons in the Diageo portfolio any more.

M

...I don't see any Bourbons in the Diageo portfolio any more.

M

Welcome to the forums.

Diageo owns the Bulleit brand, but it is distilled for them at Four Roses in Lawrenceburg, KY.

I'll echo the welcome sentiments, it is always good to see a new member with your experience and knowledge base.

Welcome to the forums.

Diageo owns the Bulleit brand, but it is distilled for them at Four Roses in Lawrenceburg, KY.

I believe they still own and distribute the I W Harper brand as well as James E Pepper, but both are export only. But the only American whiskey distillery they own is Dickel.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.