Are you a cheap beer host?

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Whenever I have a party I always like to provide good food and drink...I cannot count the times I have been to a party and the beer selection is crap....of course...some view drinking as just a means to getting drunk so no reason to buy good booze....but I drink what I like for the taste experience...any buzz is secondary. I don't like being left with extra beer I don't really enjoy. If I serve liqour, it is of good quality as well.

With that in mind...I will usually provide what I know my guests prefer and then some....many just want Miller or Bud Light....but I don't drink them...so I always have either a higher shelf beer...be it something from Sam Adams, Molson Golden, various regional beers...Goose Island, Lienenkugel in their specialty bottlings....I have always preferred Michelob products for the domestic mass produced....will drink MGD. In addition to domestic, I like various imports...Harp, Bass, Guinness, Dos XXX etc.

So, are you a cheap beer host?

Cheap beer host?

Not sure about that. But I'm sure I'm not a bad beer host.

There are good beers out there that don't cost $10 for a sixpack. When I lived in Florida, I could get Yuengling, which was priced in the same range as Bud or Miller but far better brew IMNSHO.

Here in OR we have lots of great beer from small-to-medium producers, but it's often expensive (and the rising price of hops doesn't help). We look for sales.

When we expect guests that we expect to want beer, I'll buy a good one, but still try to save money if I can. As for those who want light beer, I'll buy Sam Adams.

Quality and price do not perfectly correlate. This is true generally, not just for beer.

OK Because I think Budweiser is a perfectly decent beer I'll chime in here!

First off, I'll say you can keep your Guiness - worst stout I've ever tasted, yeah go ahead and go off about it I don't care I can't stand the shit. If you ever in Oregon try Terminator Stout at McMenamins and then give me your opinion - Or even Descutes Obsidian Stout. And the same goes for Bass, can't stand it! If you want to talk good imported beer I'll take something from Belhaven in Scotland, Twisted Thistle IPA is about as good an IPA - beer period - as I've ever tasted. As for what I have around for get togethers it is most typically Bud, Bud Light, maybe Corona and maybe another premium such as something from Deschutes or Rogue in Oregon or something similar that I can actually get in Cali maybe Stone. Now if I could get it here, Dogfish would always be in my fridge and when I move back to Oregon just like my best friend up there I'll keep a 1/4 Keg of either Bridgeport or Deschutes in the keg fridge at all time.

Jono mentioned Michelob, I agree wholeheartedly that is a damn good mass produced beer! And I personally prefer Miller High Life light to just about every light beer except Michelob Light. I think too often people rip on mass produced domestic because it is en vogue to do.

First off, I'll say you can keep your Guiness - worst stout I've ever tasted, yeah go ahead and go off about it I don't care I can't stand the shit. If you ever in Oregon try Terminator Stout at McMenamins and then give me your opinion - Or even Descutes Obsidian Stout.

I am not a big fan of American micro brews ales and lagers, (one with lunch at a bar on tap is good), I prefer Europeans like Czechvar, Grolsh, Hacker Pschorr and Stella Artois.

But when it comes to porters and stouts you cannot beat a fresh American micro brew. They are all good.

When inviting people over...I've learned that some guests require something that they have heard of and seen a commercial for. A mixture of Bud, Bud Lite, and Mic AmberBock have never treated me wrong along with a bottle of MM. Then I leave it up to the guest...bring what you want and we might share! ;) That's how we all become enlightened...

All-Yuengling usually does the trick for me. Premium, Chesterfield Ale and Yuengling Porter or maybe Black and Tan. I also try to have Straub's available, if I can find it.

I can't believe y'all buy beer.

Whatever happened to serving guests homemade stuff.

I bet y'all cater your food too!!!!

(LOL, this thread was getting way to snobbish)

Right now, the Pepcycle Household is serving homebrewed double brown ale, aged in a 14 year old FR bourbon barrel for 60 days.

That's the ticket.

Mr. Ed...please do a tasting note on your intriguing brew!

Next time I am in KY there may be a knock on your door...ha!

Christian...I agree you can find many many fine microbrews and other imports....I like Theakestons Old Peculiar...there are many fine Belgian, German, Czech etc. beers to choose from....my point was that to just have a couple of kegs or barrels filled with light beer is pathetic. Usually, around Chicago, you find Old Style, various Miller products or Bud. As a host, I think it is important to treat your guests as you would like to be treated...don't shortchange them with inferior product.

For parties, my fridge is usually stocked with Piels and Schaefer and maybe a few 40's of Ballantine. If you're bringing beer, which is recommended, Miller High Life and Schmidt's are both welcome. Bud and Bud Light are discouraged. If you bring Coors Light you have to drink it out of the toilet. That's the only way I'll allow it on the premises. I would stock an assortment of microbrews, but I always wind up getting stuck with a few bottles of some thick, disgusting sludge that nobody likes.

OK Because I think Budweiser is a perfectly decent beer I'll chime in here!

First off, I'll say you can keep your Guinness - worst stout I've ever tasted, yeah go ahead and go off about it I don't care I can't stand the shit.

To each there own man. I wonder if you have ever had a proper pour of fresh Guinness.

Most that hate it have had it at places that do not know how to pour properly. They say it tastes like bad coffee or worse.

A perfect pour is as smooth as milk with no bitter taste at all.... Guinness is a very temperamental beer (bruises very easily)

You make it to AZ, I'll pour you a good pour... if you don’t like it... you can have your money back :grin:

As a side note, when it is poured wrong, I don't like to either... it taste terrible.

I have not tried most of the beers on this list:

http://www.ratebeer.com/RateBeerBest/table_2008.asp?title=Best+Beers+of+the+United+States+2008&file=usa_beer_2008.csv

#24 is interesting : http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/goose-island-bourbon-county-stout/8909/

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

"2006 bottle sampled at Chicago Whiskey Fest 2008. Very thick black pour with sparse tan head. Lots of big aromas including bourbon, sweet caramel, licorice, vanilla, a touch of soy from age. A sip takes over the tongue with the same flavors flooding the palate. I previously had not enjoyed this beer much... foolish of me tos ay the least."

"Black bodied without even a hint of head formation. Hardly any noticeable bubbles rise to the top. The aroma is rich with caramel bourbon notes, slightly sour soy sauce, and bit of chalky cocoa. Flavor is rich with chocolate, sweet smooth bourbon, a chocolate mousse similarity, and a light roasted finish with a floral hop note. The body is quite nice and silky smooth. Wonderfully complex but just too much bourbon character overpowering the other subtleties."

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/lost-abbey-the-angels-share-bourbon-barrel/72798/

Lost Abbey The Angels Share (Bourbon Barrel)

I'll be honest here. If it's a get together that I am hosting than you can rule out cheap right off the bat. I'm paying for the food and the beverages and not asking guests to bring their own. That rules out cheap in my book.

Having said that, this is what you can expect any time you come over to my place for a get together.

Sam Adams

Pabst Blue Ribbon, which is my everyday beer now.

Maybe I'll have some local Wachusett Brewing varieties available but that's not a guarantee. I try to support the locals a little here and there.

If I know my best friend Myril is coming I'll try to have some Bud cause that's all he drinks. It's hit or miss that I will have it so he always comes with his own cooler.

None of my friends really drink hard liquor so that's not an issue.

As far as I'm aware, no one has been disappointed. The occasion is usually more about good family, friends and food anyways.

Chris

Chris...PBR was one of my first beers due to family...it was ok COLD. Has it changed over the years? I have not had one in a long time.

Finally,

Someone who understands a party

Its about the people!!!!!

Thank You!!!!

I'll be honest here. If it's a get together that I am hosting than you can rule out cheap right off the bat. I'm paying for the food and the beverages and not asking guests to bring their own. That rules out cheap in my book.

Having said that, this is what you can expect any time you come over to my place for a get together.

Sam Adams

Pabst Blue Ribbon, which is my everyday beer now.

Maybe I'll have some local Wachusett Brewing varieties available but that's not a guarantee. I try to support the locals a little here and there.

If I know my best friend Myril is coming I'll try to have some Bud cause that's all he drinks. It's hit or miss that I will have it so he always comes with his own cooler.

None of my friends really drink hard liquor so that's not an issue.

As far as I'm aware, no one has been disappointed. The occasion is usually more about good family, friends and food anyways.

Chris

Most of the get togethers I've been involved with are with family and close friends. Most of the beer that shows up at these places is Bud Light. Sometimes, if I'm in a beer mood, which isn't often, I'll take some Killians Red or Rolling Rock. Many people take to the Killian's but I get mostly moans and groans and stories of splitting headaches when people see the Rolling Rock. When the get together is at my house, people see whats in my bar and abandon the beer rather quickly. When I go to someone elses place for a get together, I usually take a decent bottle of bourbon. Whoever wants a drink is welcome to it!

Thomas

I always try to have beer on hand in case someone stops by and that's there drink of choice, and of late it's been Red Stripe. It reminds me of my first beer, Rainier.

A friend and I put on a retirement party for another buddy last night. I went to Mac and Jacks and got 4 Growlers filled with each of their beers they had on tap. There IPA was the one most enjoyed.

:toast:

Ya mon....cool runnin...Red Stripe.

We are going back to Jamaica this June....taking the kids this time...we honeymooned there....I recall downing a few Red Stripe bottles at that time...will probably drink quite a few more along with the usual tropical choices.

Jono, I don't know if it's any different than it was before. It's probably kind of weak to most folks. There are so many better brews out there but I keep buying this one.

Kind of like there are so many excellent coffees to choose from but I always come home with Maxwell House. My mother gave me a Christmas blend from Starbucks a few months ago. I thought it was really good but when it was gone I went straight back to what I've been accustomed to.

Creature of Habit when it comes to things like this. I'll experiment a little but usually end up with the old standby.

Chris

Beer selection at my place always includes Samuel Adams lager or ale, plus a stout, usually Bell's Kalamazoo stout with a Guinness extra stout backup.

A good host provides what his guests will enjoy...

I've found that my beer-drinking friends & neighbors seem to want and enjoy Bud or Miller Lite (as do a plurality of patrons at most public bars). So that's what I provide for them.

Not my personal choice but if it makes my guests happy and want to return, it's fine with me.

A good host provides what his guests will enjoy...

I've found that my beer-drinking friends & neighbors seem to want and enjoy Bud or Miller Lite (as do a plurality of patrons at most public bars). So that's what I provide for them.

Not my personal choice but if it makes my guests happy and want to return, it's fine with me.

John,

You nailed this. Provide what someone will enjoy.

Will

I will do the same but from time to time I find that the Miller or Bud drinkers take advantage ( not in a negative way ) of my Microbrews and other specialty bottlings. It is the cost of doing business, they are invited guests in my home and what I have is available.

Except my Pappy23 or my lone WT Tribute.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.