Top Five vs. Desert Island Five

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The desert island idea comes from a recent post that suggested lashing oneself to a barrel of Russell's Reserve in the event of a shipwreck. The top five is from an old, very interesting thread.

In both contexts there was at least one suggestion that Wild Turkey products might satisfy one's every need. Now I'm probably as big a WT as anyone, but I wonder whether I'd take five WT brands with me to a desert island, even if they were my five favorites.

Isn't there something to be said for variety? Doesn't perfection depend on the time, the place, and the mood?

I think I'd replace one of the Wild Turkey products (please don't make me pick one!) with Virginia Gentleman 90 proof, for those afternoons when I want my bourbon on the rocks.

As a backdrop for a serious discussion of man's place in the universe I'd be tempted to replace another one with the Old Rip Van Winkle ten year 107 proof that I tasted for the very first time a week or so ago.

Then there's the Elmer T. Lee that I sampled from the bottle the day my Sam's shipment arrived. I still haven't given it a serious tasting, but damn, it surely was good -- kind of like a Blanton's with oomph, and not at all like Wild Turkey.

And so on ...

How about it folks? Does your Desert Island Five differ from your Top Five?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Okay, I am probably the guy who said I could make a complete top five with all WT products. But I DID say I was just joking in that post. And, as I mentioned earlier today, I really do have three WT products in my honest top five.

With that said, I do tend to agree with your point about needing variety if stranded on a desert island. So, here is a shot at it:

Kentucky Spirit

Rock Hill Farms (I've never tasted it, but it is currently at the top of my wish list - I can't find it at any of my Alabama ABC stores, even though they have Blanton's and Ancient Age).

Woodford Reserve

Knob Creek

I'm having trouble picking the fifth one. Let's see, how about Rare Breed. I just can't leave it out.

So, I still have three of my top five and four of my top six. It was thought provoking, though.

Tim

Deserted Island 5 :

Russells Reserve 10 Year

Ancient Ancient Age 10 Year

Evan Williams '90

Woodfords Reserve

VA Gents/Maker's Mark

Variety and Quality, and a Bourbon for almost every mood grin.gifgrin.gif

TomC

Ah hah! I found a web site for the Alabama ABC. On the web site, I found a complete price list. I searched it for "rock" and discovered that they do, indeed carry Rock Hill Farms.

Now, all I have to do is go to my local store and fill out a request card for them to stock it. Then, in two or three months, I too will be able to buy a bottle of RHF. grin.gif

Tim

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip.

That started from this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailin' man, the Skipper brave and sure.

Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour, a three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed.

If not for the courage of the fearless crew, the Bourbonia would be lost, the Bourbonia would be lost.

The ship set down on the shore of this uncharted desert isle, with Linnigan grin.gif , the Skipper too ( that's Jim!) cool.gif , Insert your name here and your wife (unless you'd rather have her drown) smile.gif , a moviestar (insert favorite sexpot here) tongue.gif , A Lawyer named Chuck smirk.gif , and Bettye Jo wink.gif here on Linnigan's Isle!

>Adapted from the original 'Ballad of Gilligan's Island by Schwartz & Wyle 1964<

Let's see here, what would Linnigan stock for the passengers of the S.S. Bourbonia for a three hour tour? A case of A.H. Hirsch 16 year old; A case of Pappy Van Winkel 20 year old, A case of Rock Hill Farms, a case of Kentucky Spirit, and a case of Wathen's. There that's five, but wait a minute we have seven stranded castaways, and that calls for two more cases. A case each of Knob Creek and Woodford Reserve will do nicely thankyou.

So join us here each week my friends you're sure to get a smile, from seven stranded castawys here on Linnigan's Isle! grin.gif

My desert island five would match what I drink at home. That includes different types to match my mood and the season.

Old Rip 15 yo (full flavor)

Old Rip Family Reserve Rye (zest)

Evan Williams Single Barrel (summer)

Knob Creek (winter)

Actually, I have four regulars. Any number of bourbons can take over the number 5 spot. That's the experimental slot where I try different bourbons. It's not that none of them are good enough to become a fixture, it's just that the top four do everything I want. If i had to pick a fifth (pun intended), I'd probably go with Bookers for those times that a huge charcoal-grilled steak washes up on the beach. ;-)

I will gladly take the role of Thirsty Thurston Howell the Third, and my wife Lovey safely makes it to shore. Let's see since we're the millionaires ( but we didn't bring any money) we'll need currency. Ah yes the cases of hirsch and Pappy will do fine . Linnigan , Skipper I'll trade each of you a fifth of hirsch or Pappy for three fifths of Wathen's and 4 fifths of Woodford! Linnigan I've contracted with the Professor to build a distillery we'll be making bourbon from coconuts we need a little manual labor. Skipper we need the boiler from the ship. stay tuned folks. grin.gifgrin.gif Lovey is going to help with the bourbon , Ginger ( Nicole Kidman ) and I can be found on the other side of the island. ( I'm told there's a nude beach there)!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.