Shopping Trip to Louisville

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I made use of a quick trip to Louisville for some shopping at Liquor Barn (formerly Liquor Outlet). I don't see any difference other than the name change. How nice to see a liquor store with a sign in the window that says "200 bourbons." Prices are about the same as Chicago, so I just use these trips to buy things I can't get here, like Very Old Barton, Old Charter and Four Roses. I also picked up some Buffalo Trace and Knob Creek because the prices were a little better than here.

Very Old Barton, which is not available here and not generally available outside the South, is very popular in Louisville. Liquor barn had more facings of it than any other brand, even Jim Beam. They had it in 80 proof, 86 proof, 90 proof and 100 proof, in the full range of sizes.

The only disappointment. They had a display of Pipkin beers, and a shelf label for the bourbon barrel stout, but that flavor was out. It's probably the most incredible beer I've ever tasted. If you can get it, do. One pint will last you the whole evening.

Chuck, The Liquor Barn is quite a store indeed. The 90 proof Barton is hard to get in Ky except there. I think you can get or used to an extra 5% if you dropped over $250.00 there . I've spent a lot there but haven't crossed that threshold.

Does anyone know whether Liquor Barn can ship to California?

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Chuck,

I had already looked at their website, noting no mention of mail order sales.

Concurrently with my question to this forum I sent them an email asking the same question. Their answer arrived today, as follows:

"Mr. Morefield,

I regret that the current laws prohibit us from shipping alcohol. I commend you on your choice of bourbon. [i had inquired about Very Old Barton and Ancient Ancient Age.] I welcome your visit the next time you are in the bluegrass (and bourbon) state. We have no limit on what you can carry with you!

Thank you,

Drew Murphy

Liquor Barn-Hurstbourne"

They sound like nice folks. Maybe someday I'll get to visit.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

I suggest that you inquire of Sam's, or even better of your local mega-store, if they can obtain these precious nuggets. Why shouldn't they be able to do a special order? If they sell Ten-High, they are dealing with Barton's local distributor. If they sell Blanton's, they are dealing with Ancient Age's local distributor. Encourage your local outlet to meet your bourbonic needs.

I hope you have better luck with your local (large) liquor stores than I have in Vegas. There are only two liquor wholesalers that do business in Nevada. Both are headquartered out of California. They simply will not bring items into the state without a very large volume commitment. Perhaps they have to do some paperwork for the state for each item they bring into our state?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.