Visiting Kentucky

VERITAS
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My Wife and I are finally taking my dream trip that I have been planning for about 3 years now.

We will be headed out to Kentucky the last week of May to visit a number of the distilleries.

We have tours set up at:

Maker's Mark

Heaven Hill

Buffalo Trace

Labrot & Graham

Jack Daniel's

In addition to these we will be doing the self-tour at Jim Beam on Sunday ( I hear they are closed the rest of the week)... We are also trying to work Wild Turkey into our trip...

Being our first trip to KY, outside of the distilleries and the Shaker Village that my wife wants to visit, we really are not sure what there is to do...

If anyone has any suggestions of place to go, restaurants to eat at, etc. it would be greately appreciated. We are staying in Louisville.

Thank you!

Kevin

This has all been covered many times before, mostly in the thread called "Distillery Trips," where you will find this thread, which is merely the most recent example.

While visiting Jack Daniels (which, I assume you know, is not a day trip from Louisville) you should also visit George Dickel.

Jim Beam doesn't really have a tour, self-guided or otherwise, they have a visitor's center and a few other things you can see, but no production. Coming soon, but not now. I don't know why they would be closed Monday-Saturday, you might want to check that.

You might also get some better suggestions if you tell us what sort of things you like.

Good for you, Kevin. I'm sure you'll enjoy your trip. If you have the time, want to see some natural beauty, like to hike, or just want to relax, try Cumberland Falls State Park. It's about 75 miles South of Lexington, off of I-75. Big waterfall, trails to hike, cabins, horse back riding, etc. My wife and I have been going every Summer for 25 years (she's been going for 35). It's mega-beautiful, and very remote. I believe they have a website you can visit for more info. My tip, if you decide to go, would be to not stay in the Lodge, as it's rather out-dated. The cabins, however, are very nice (particularly in "Cabin Group 1"). Or, the "Woodland Suites" are very nice, rustic, duplex type rooms. If you are interested in this, shoot me a PM, and I'll get you more details.

Cheers!

JOE

Don't forget to visit Louisville Slugger while you're in town. There is also the Louisville Redbirds baseball team. It's AAA, but still good baseball. Churchill Downs and Fort Knox are a couple of more options. Have fun. Joe

Go to the bar at the Seelbach Hotel downtown. Great bourbon selection, served by knowledgable, talented, bartenders and a great, historic atmosphere. It's what great bars used to be! (Admitedly, some also like the Makers Mark Bourbon House a half block down the street as well.)

Thanks everyone for your ideas! I am sure this trip is going to be a blast!

If you have time in the evening on the 31st you are quite welcome at my little shindig here in New Hope- check out the post in the socials under memorial day bonfire.

Bill

Kevin, I just got back home to Australia from my first trip to Kentucky (and the USA.)

One of the items that was a big help to me was the Bourbon Trail map.

There's a web site -

www.kentuckybourbontrail.com

There used to be a .pdf map to download, but I can't find it at the moment. If you'd like a copy, pm me with an email address and I'll email it to you as I have one on my computer.

Also, look for distillery openning times. We got to Woodford Reserve only to find it didn't open on Mondays.

If you are thinking about Wild Turkey, Four Roses is only 5 minutes away and is also worth the visit. It might be good to work them in with Buffalo Trace as they are all (sort of) out near Lexington.

I don't know why they would be closed Monday-Saturday, you might want to check that.

The Jim Beam Outpost is open 7 days a week.

The outpost is open, however from what I was told by my Beam rep was that the tours of the actual distillery are not available this week...

The outpost is open, however from what I was told by my Beam rep was that the tours of the actual distillery are not available this week...

I've not known Beam to do actual distillery tours for the general public.

I work in the industry for a large grocery chain, which is why I was going to get the tour (I was stoked!)... but unfortunately its not gonna happen - d'oh!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.