A bourbon oasis on the road...

jburlowski
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I travel a fair amount for business. Not nearly as much as some, perhaps. On average, it's once a month (although not necessarily evenly distributed).

Traveling these days sucks; with all the hassles of security, flight delays, over-booked flights, rental cars, etc, etc.

And, at the end of a long day of windowless-conference-room meetings and endless wanderings in rush hour traffic in a strange town, it's time to unwind. Basically you end up (more often than not) in a JBW / JD world. If it's a better than average bar, they may also have MM or (better yet) WT.

Well, tonight I hit the road-warrior's version of Nirvana... a bar with all the above, and the Beam "small batch" group, and JB Black, and Blanton's, and Jefferson's Reserve 15, and ER SB, and 1792, and Old Pogue, and... for god's sake, Bernheim Wheat! And what's that on the top shelf: OFBB 2004? (I finished that bad boy off.)

Perhaps not the greatest selection in the world for some of you but, for those of us who roam from airport to Marriott to airport, pretty much the mother lode. And live jazz and great food too.

FWIW, it was the Sage Woodfire Tavern in Alpharetta (Atlanta), GA. And they do a rightious pour...

I'm back in my hotel room, cruisin' the net, with a quality buzz....

Wow John, that does sound like a great spot! Glad that my home area can offer you a nice watering hole. I have heard of Sage, but never been there. How's the food? Please tell me it's good, so I can use that as a reason to get my wife to go. Of course your rec on the bourbon selection will be my secret. :D You in town for long? If I remember from an earlier post of yours, you have been this way before. A regular area for you on your travels? If yes, you'll have to let me know. Would love to hook up, and toss a few back. As the President-elect of the Georgia Bourbon Society ;), I'm sure I can convince the lame-duck President (Troyce), that we could tap the entertainment budget for out-of-town dignitaries! Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the rest of your stay here!

JOE

I feel your pain. I am out of town a lot and I always end up drinking MM or KC. I've yet to find a good bourbon bar in my travels.

Anyhow, congrats on a great find !!!

I'm flying out to Atlanta tomorrow. I'll have to check this place out, thanks for the tip!

John,

I too feal your pain. How I have overcome it is I go and pick up a bottle of something at a liquor store and go back to teh hotel room and sip on a little while I work.

I find I get much better bourbon, save money and I drink less.

I am even know for bringing a bottle with me for trips (200-750) and just sipping on them while I am gone.

I used to travel 200,000+ miles a year on business and found that a flask or two where the only way to go to insure quality spirits on the road. Given that it was acceptable to take them in your carryon years back made life much easier. One of my favorites to take along (and I still do) was a high end pre-mixed Manhattan.... just pour over ice....

John,

I too feal your pain. How I have overcome it is I go and pick up a bottle of something at a liquor store and go back to teh hotel room and sip on a little while I work.

I find I get much better bourbon, save money and I drink less.

I am even know for bringing a bottle with me for trips (200-750) and just sipping on them while I am gone.

I hear you but, for me, hotel rooms (almost irregardless of the brand or cost of the room) and uniformly lifeless and boring. I spend as little time in them as possible... mostly with the lights out.

I remember a number of years ago I was stuck in some budget hotel in some unknown city. I called my wife to say hello. She inquired: "So what's your room like?" My reply: "It's a great place to stay if you're contemplating suicide... and don't want to break the mood."

I have stayed at those hotels as well. Now with thig hspeed net and the upgraded rooms... they are quite nice.

After spending the second half of 2006, all of 2007 and first 1/2 of 2008 on the road (all but 10-12 weeks anyhow), I get tired of going out all the time. Once over 4 days is plenty.

I can get more work done this way and slow down all the food intake..

So, John, was this place close to the airport? I'm in Atlanta all the time and it would be great to get a quality meal and pour next time I'm there.

Cheers!

So, John, was this place close to the airport? I'm in Atlanta all the time and it would be great to get a quality meal and pour next time I'm there.

Cheers!

It's about 25 miles from the airport, near where I was working. One on my other (perhaps hopeful) criteria is that, at the end of a long day in a strange city, I don't have to get in my rental car and drive a long distance at night. Especially if I'm going to be drinking.

Hey, I just spent 8 days in Alpharetta, from 4/22-4/30.

There's a nice steak restaurant at (IIRC) the corner of Alpharetta Highway and Holcombe Bridge Rd. called "Stony River", where I enjoyed a great steak and a couple of pours of Bookers.

whilst in ATL, make sure to enjoy at least one meal at The Varsity. It's at the corner of Spring St and North Ave, just across from Georgia Tech, right off I-75.

My favorite place to eat. No bourbon to be had there. Unless it's game day, and then you can find more than a few people with a flask on hand. :)

There's a Five Seasons brewpub east of 400 on Milton Highway. I don't know about the bourbon selection there, but the food and beer are great.

I'll check out this place the next time I am there. I end up spending a couple of weeks a year in the Hyatt Place on Windward. I drive into Atlanta to see my nieces and up to Gainesville to see my grandmother every visit, but there's always a night or two of going out with the work guys.

Glad to hear all your tips, guys, thanks a lot. The road gets lonesome when your stomach (and flask) are empty.

Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I will be meeting a client of mine, and his wife, tonight at Sage. Looking forward to the bourbon selection that John wrote about. That's the good news. The better news is I get to expense it! :D Thanks for the rec!

:toast:

JOE

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.