George Dickel shortage

ricksaunders
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Perhaps this has been covered already but I didn't find it in a search...and this is my first post so please be gentle. Also I know that Dickel isnt bourbon but this seemed the most likely forum for my Q which is:

Where the heck is all the Dickel?

My local store tells me the distillery burned down but there is nothing online referring to that. The only clue I find is from last december:

"One item may be missing from holiday parties this year: George Dickel Whisky No. 8. It's scarce because the Dickel distillery shut down production from 1999 to 2003, trying to reduce inventory of the Tennessee sippin' whiskey. It worked. And since whiskey must age, it's too early for a new batch."

All the stores near me in N.FL are out and a friend in Seattle can't find any either. I want my #8! waaaaaaaaaaa! There is just a subtle sweetness that I like about #8 that I havnt found in other whiskeys.

So...any idead where the Dickel is...and any recommendations for a Dickel-esque replacement?

Thanks y'all.

-Rick

If you are in Florida, you should be able to find the new Dickle Cascade Hollow release. It is 3 years old and has been released to fill the gap until more #8 hits the market. Try an ABC liquor store if there is one in your area!

Thomas

Howdy,

I bunkered away a 5th of Dickels 12 yr old last Summer. I found two bottles in "the 'hood" here in Shreveport after reading about how rare it was becoming.

I drank one and wasn't terribly impressed. The remaining unopened bottle sits in a cabinet collecting dust.

Eggman

Eggman- I don't care for #12 either. One can do better. However #8 is another story. Give it a try if you get a chance.

-Rick

Eggman- I don't care for #12 either. One can do better. However #8 is another story. Give it a try if you get a chance.

-Rick

When Dickel makes whisky...it is all Dickel whisky. There is no difference between 8 and 12 when it comes off the still. IIRC, the only difference is the proof and maybe a little age.

While in Houston this weekend, I saw plenty of Dickel. If there is a shortage...it was not apparent.

Yeah, there's still a lot of Dickel here in Houston.

All I've ever tried was the #12 and the two bottles of it that I have are older bottlings (one of them tax-stripped), so maybe their taste (which I thought was pretty darned good) may not be very representative of current offerings.

• 1 month later...

Sam's has #12 and Binny's has #12 and Barrel Select on their websites.

Saw plenty of #12 in Austin this last weekend. The clerk said it had been on the shelf without fail. No #8 to be seen.

The #12 has been in steady production. It is older, thus the available whiskey -- the distillation hiatus began in 1999, nine years ago -- matches its profile, though even it is getting long in the tooth.

The problem originated when the available whiskey for both the #8 -- which usually is 4-5 years old -- and the #12 was the same whiskey. In c. 2005, the last whiskey distilled was of an appropriate age for both bottlings (actually, a bit old for #8, but they didn't have anything younger). Thus, distilling had re-ignited, but did no good, marketing-wise, for 3 years.

Heck, you figure it out -- if you're bottling the same whiskey for the #8 and the higher-priced #12, which one are you going to continue?

Alas, my experience with the new distillate isn't up to par. Let's hope that John Lunn (who I covered as a high-school footballer) gets up to speed.

I toured the Dickel distillery this past April. They're cranking out the barrels and the neighboring hills are filled with aging Dickel (so said the tour guide). They were also selling #12, a Barrel Select, and one other limited Dickel in the gift shop.

No shortage of #12 in Oregon.

a4066_2.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.