Tasting a Mini Bottle of Vintage Paul Jones Rye

dave ziegler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well a couple of years ago I picked up a vintage 1/10 mini Bottle of Paul Jones 90 Proof Rye tonight I opened it and gave it a taste. I figure it is from the late 1950's as has a 1 1/2 cent tax stamp on it and a old embossed bottle. Distilled & Bottled in Maryland! It is strong and very flavorfull with a bit of bite going down but all in all remindes me of the old Ryes of the days I worked at Kinsey . There is one more shot or almost one left in it which I will have tomorrow. I had never had any Paul Jones and have heard their later products were not that great but this Rye is very nice makes me wish I had a big bottle! Most times I do not open Mini bottles but this was just to temping, and I am glad I tried it. If anyone else has had this at one time let me know your thoughts on it and their products in the old days!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

======================================

That's a good taste note, Dave.

Does it remind you at all of any of the current straight ryes such as Rittenhouse or Old Overholt? If not, how does it differ?

Gary

Gary it is different then any of the New Ryes I have had, Rittenhouse or Old Overholt a stronger presence in your mouth sort of intense. A strong Rye taste and a bit warm going down. It does remind me of the stuff when I was young way more then todays Ryes more small batch like redish color slight smell of wood. It also had a sweet sort of finish going down! For 90 Proof it seemed allot stronger the minute it hit my mouth I felt its flavor I would say it is closer to the Rittenhouse Rye of the Continental Distilling days then anything today not exactly the same but of the type! It makes old Overholt seem like rye flavored water in comparing it. I had never had any Paul Jones and just could not resist since Rye is an old Favorite for me. If you ever come across any get it and give it a try. It seemed more like a 100 + proof then 90 to me. I sort of wish it was a Pint or more for better testing but glad I bought it a couple of yrs back just for the fun of it! BE WELL Gary-!

Dave Z

Old Hickory America's Most Magnificent Bourbon

======================================

Thanks Dave, and best to you as well.

Gary

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.