BOTM, 6/08: Bulleit

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

...At 12 we started getting Old Crow from a local scoundrel and drank it on hot days when fishing...In the 50's I began buying bourbon, of many brands, that cost a few bucks more. In those days, no one that I knew considered lushing it up much of an art form! So, I can't recall any details...But, while I like a smooth bourbon now, a glass of Bulleit sparks my younger days.

Thank you -- bona fides established and accepted! If you might recall just a few details from those '50s-era days, what were some of the "brands that cost a few bucks more"? And, what kind of prices are we talking about in that era? Any favorites? What brands might relate to today's Bulleit?

...I looked into your history, via your profile, and am in awe. I wish you were my neighbor...

Awe, shucks! (And, if you were my neighbor, and we were not communicating on such a public forum, I might use a more scatological reference in lieu of "shucks"!)

Thank you -- bona fides established and accepted! If you might recall just a few details from those '50s-era days, what were some of the "brands that cost a few bucks more"? And, what kind of prices are we talking about in that era? Any favorites? What brands might relate to today's Bulleit?

Awe, shucks! (And, if you were my neighbor, and we were not communicating on such a public forum, I might use a more scatological reference in lieu of "shucks"!)

Hello, again! There is a lot to be said about writing things down. It is unfortunate that my once good memory for details has blurred into just "one song". If you kids will just print what you post, you'll be grateful someday. These posts are just cobwebs waiting for someone's broom, please know. My written journals of those days are filled with family adventures that will never leave my memory and needed no chronicle. Those things which I did not see as important have faded into the mire. I have always been a price-noticing man and I can remember that when I started earning more money I moved up to an "upper shelf" and that $1.50 to $2.00, or so, seemed like a lot of money. I really never took notice because, in the moment, it was all about trying anything new. Nothing in those days, except, Makers Mark left much of an impression. There was a nunnery in Loretto where a distant cousin, a nun, was infirmed. I visited and did magic shows for the old girls, as that was a hobby. Makers Mark, in my mind, became the standard for a refined spirit. But, in those days it was not as gentle. I am sorry that my mind is more pooh than platinum! (honoring the scatological!)

I recently had my first taste of this bourbon. There is a very, very nice steak house in The Landing shopping center in Branson. We stopped there for dinner while visiting over Memorial Day weekend. While deciding what I wanted to drink I saw a bottle of Bulleit on the shelf behind the bar, with about enough in it for 3 nice drinks.

I ordered a double on the rocks since I had not yet tried Bulleit. I was very pleased at what I got. This was a nice bourbon; full flavored without being harsh. I found the nose rich and the follow smooth.

The interesting thing was the young bartender had to ask her manager what to charge...I got it for the "well" bourbon price. She said the reason was this is not a bourbon they normally carry. It was purchased for a special event, that was all that was left and they needed to get rid of it.

I told her if they really needed to get rid of it, and since there was only one shot (roughly) left, she should just pour it in my glass and I would take care of it for her. She waited a moment, then poured tha balance of the bottle in my glass at no charge. I got a very nice drink with dinner, and she got a very nice tip. Then I gave her manager one...I told him they should keep this brand on hand all the time.

I have yet to buy a bottle for myself, but I do plan for it to be my next purchase.

Bulleit is my everday mixer bourbon. Not a fan of it straight but do enjoy it with 7. It is a little rough and spicy for me on its own.

Here in Wichita we have a brew pub that we get used Bulliet barrels for them once a year and they brew a Porter that they age in the barrels and tap for their birthday celebration. It is a fantastic brew that is deep and rich with just the right amount bourbon flavor to it.

We have had Tom Bulliet in my market several times for this party. He is just a really great guy in my book. Takes the time to get to know you and will talk to you as long as you want to sit and listen to him.

Interesting note I believe Bulliet is the base for Prichards Double Barrel. We had Mr. Prichard in for a meeting back in September of 07 and he told us the base was from a Diageo bourbon but would not tell us which one it was.

Also if you like this bourbon be sure to stalk up before August 1st as there is a large price increase coming for this brand at least here in Kansas. But I'm sure it will be nation wide as Diageos fiscal year ends in June.

• 1 month later...

Had a bottle of Bulleit for about 2 years now. First thing I did after buying it (was swayed by the packaging, it was this or £5 more for Woodford, with Beam White being £2 less I think) was pop a good slug of it into a rocks glass with some ice. First impressions were that it tasted like firewater, so back on the shelf it went. Dug it out the other night for some cocktails (figured use the least favourite for mixing) and it impressed me. I'll give it another chance on the rocks this week.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!