BOTM, 6/08: Bulleit

jeff
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Maybe some Canadian Club 15yo.

Trying a 3:1 of the CC:Bulliet right now. Not real sure if this works all that well. The CC on its own is a very smooth, mellow sip, and the addition of the Bulliet adds a bit of discordant note. Since I also like the Bulliet just fine on its own, I don't think I'll repeat this.

Back on Christmas Eve 2005 I did a review of this. Take that under consideration if you want to read it here.

Very entertaining.

So were some of the responses. #17, in particular.

Indeed Scott the CC 15 is only intermittently available, and not currently in Ontario. It is an excellent expression of the CC family, as was the 20 (also not seen here for some time but available I think at some Duty Free).

Your taste notes are very good.

With regard to adding Bulleit, it's an interesting idea. It might work with much less Bulleit added, however my inclination would be to add a straight rye or bourbon of an age closer to the age of CC 15.

Something toasty and full but round flavored might work, say, Sazerac rye 18 years old. I'd add just a little (maybe only 10% to start with and go from there).

To CC 10 the EW 1998 or 1997 would be perfect. To the CC 6 (i.e., regular CC) a touch of Rittenhouse BIB or Templeton might be perfect.

Gary

My son (he's 24) suggested Bulleit. (He even pronounced it right!)

Joe,

So how IS Bulleit pronounced? A la Steve McQueen?

Cheers,

Mark

Joe,

So how IS Bulleit pronounced? A la Steve McQueen?

Cheers,

Mark

Yep, just like the movie title but I'd suggest no drinking when driving a Mustang on the streets of 'Frisco at top speeds.

Bulleit was the second step in my journey in to Bourbon (after Maker's). I think I saw an ad for it in a magazine and it looked intriguing, so I bought a bottle and it had a real WOW factor. It was my standard home pour for quite a while and I only went away from it after breaking the bank at Binny's and stocking up on all the stuff that I can't get in Ohio.

I don't have a bottle of this in the cabinet (no room for it), but I do switch between Bulleit and ER10 when I head out to my favorite local independent restaurant for a few drinks.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that it was pronounced "Boo-lay". Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Joe

Yep, just like the movie title but I'd suggest no drinking when driving a Mustang on the streets of 'Frisco at top speeds.

Well, you're no fun.

extra verbage to reach 24 characters - disregard

My bad guys. Thanks for the correction. Joe

Based on a very small sample, I would also put Bulleit above Jim Beam Black (which I like.)

I tried Bulleit for the first time a couple months ago when I discovered that I preferred rye-heavy bourbon in Manhattans. The rye "rawness" that people keep mentioning makes for a great Manhattan. At $16 for 750ml (in MD)

you can't beat it.

I like Bulleit... a lot. It's always in my regular "rotation". As others have observed here, its the rye spiciness / cinnamon notes that are the attraction.

Packaging and marketing? The bottle's kind of nice looking but that sort of thing doesn't influence me a whole lot.

Bulleit is one of my top 3 Bourbons. I love it with just a splash of water. My mouth seems to explode with flavor. It definitely gets your attention. the strong Rye content kicks up the pepper flavor, but the carmel - vanilla flavors are still strong. The price is right, the color is great, and the bottle isn't bad either.

Bulleit is one of my top 3 Bourbons. I love it with just a splash of water. My mouth seems to explode with flavor. It definitely gets your attention. the strong Rye content kicks up the pepper flavor, but the carmel - vanilla flavors are still strong. The price is right, the color is great, and the bottle isn't bad either.

Hey ranwill, I see this is your first post but you joined in April of 2006.

Welcome, we have a lot of Michigan people here.

We have to get everyone together sometime.

Sometimes here in eastern kansas we can get this at 15.99 a bottle. The whole prodcut line seems to be available here 50ml, 200ml, 375ml, 750ml, 1L, 1.75L. This isnt a bad bourbon, raw and somewhat unpolished good mixing especially and occasionally straight.

ranwill,

Welcome to the board. Yet another MI guy. How's life in Bay City? I grew up on the other side of the thumb (many years ago now).

Will

See, I'm pretty new to tasting and reviewing, but I know when I like something and I like this bourbon. Others refer a "raw" charcter and I agree that it is somewhat untamed. But, in that remark I hope to convey unadulteration and respect to whiskey's past. Thank you for drawing my attention to this great product.

...But, in that remark I hope to convey unadulteration and respect to whiskey's past...

Not a criticism, mind you, but a curiosity: how old is the oldest bourbon/whiskey you've ever tasted?

I find it an excellent choice when I want something the exact opposite of Maker's Mark-- something dry, spicy, and oaky. I'll be the first to admit that it is a little rough around the edges. But, when you want a Sazerac cocktail and your bar doesn't have a Straight Rye, then this is the one I look for.

It's also great in a Manhattan.

boss302,

Interesting you should mention Maker's Mark in relation to Bulleit. I'm pretty new to all this, but for now MM is my "benchmark" bourbon--the standard I measure others by.

Picked up a bottle of Bulleit a couple of days ago and tasted it straight up last night. Bulleit falls well short of MM to me. It is sweet, hot, earthy and dry. And a little rough. Doubtless there are other things going on, and as I get experience maybe I'll alter my appreciation. Tonight I'll try it over ice and see what happens.

Cheers,

Mark

Well, I dropped a shot of Bulleit over one ice cube last evening and it was, as my Tennessee grandpa used to say, "tolerable", which meant better than tolerable and not bad at all. I taste sweet corn.

The old timey bottle is pretty cool, looking like an overlarge version of the little opium bottles used by Oriental sugar cane workers here a century and more ago.

Cheers,

Mark

Well, I dropped a shot of Bulleit over one ice cube last evening and it was, as my Tennessee grandpa used to say, "tolerable", which meant better than tolerable and not bad at all. I taste sweet corn.

The old timey bottle is pretty cool, looking like an overlarge version of the little opium bottles used by Oriental sugar cane workers here a century and more ago.

Cheers,

Mark

through a splash of a wheatear bourbon on it and watch it blossom

I tried hard to like Bulleit but it never really got to me. It's good bourbon, I love the bottle, but I never found much in Bulleit to hold my interest. I bet it'd be better on the rocks than neat, but I always drink neat.

It sure was good splashed over some sauteed mushrooms, though. Not assertively sweet, just the right amount of corn and alcohol to enhance the flavors of the mushrooms.

All that said, I didn't dislike it enough to not give it a second chance.

Cheers!

Not a criticism, mind you, but a curiosity: how old is the oldest bourbon/whiskey you've ever tasted?

Hello, friend! When I was 8 (1930 or so) we pilfered mooonshine, weekly, from my friend's dad, a farmer. When I was 10 I had Napoleon cognac at a wake and continued to nip at it , because my rich aunt preferred it, for a couple of years. At 12 we started getting Old Crow from a local scoundrel and drank it on hot days when fishing. Mind you, there were 5 of us and we tippled all day from a pint! From then on, through the war, I drank countless, nameless brands which were ALL cheap. In the 50's I began buying bourbon, of many brands, that cost a few bucks more. In those days, no one that I knew considered lushing it up much of an art form! So, I can't recall any details. In 1967, I bought a bottle of Napoleon and was, frankly, disappointed. Too, refined, I can only say. I found a stoneware jug of Henry McKenna and was hooked. Please forgive me for venturing an opinion which sounds as though I have a refined, defininng palate. I am truly a lug! I may not have added much to the discussion. But, while I like a smooth bourbon now, a glass of Bulleit sparks my younger days. That's my best way to describe it. I looked into your history, via your profile, and am in awe. I wish you were my neighbor. I could pick up a lot from you!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!