In praise of Limoncello

Jono
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This Italian lemon liqueur is one of my favorite summer sippers....either straight on the rocks or even mixed with a little lemonade etc.

http://cocktails.about.com/od/liqueurscordials/g/lemoncello_lqr.htm

I have not tried that many brands...just the Toschi and Petrone..with a nod to the Toschi. Some other brands to try:

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&client=opera&rls=en&hs=EZN&resnum=0&q=limoncello+liquor&um=1&ie=UTF-8

Any favorites out there? I will be looking for the Pallini

Lemoncello good. I will even add it to a little sparkling wine with a wedge of citrus. Enjoy

What little I know about Lemoncello is that, in Italy, it is often homemade using fresh lemon juice, and given as a gift.

We've made a couple of batches of Limoncello. Slice some lemons, soak in vodka for a few weeks, and a simple syrup, bottle and age for a few months. The trick is getting the amount of sugar just right, otherwise it ends up cloyingly sweet. Makes a nice Christmas gift.

I would think originally it was made with grappa.

Gary

I keep a bottle of this stuff in the freezer along with a couple of limoncello glasses. Perfect after a meal on a hot summer night. Not sure if the spirit base is vodka, grappa or something else. I'll see what I can find out and get back to ya.

Chin-chin!

Funny deal ..... last year a friend was getting married and wanted to make some. In Ohio, one can not obtain grain alcohol and since Emily was living in Indy, we asked her to pick some up. When she called the store and asked if he had six handles his first question was, "Who you trying to kill?"

Turned out to be very tasty. :cool:

I keep a bottle of this stuff in the freezer along with a couple of limoncello glasses. Perfect after a meal on a hot summer night. Not sure if the spirit base is vodka, grappa or something else. I'll see what I can find out and get back to ya.

Chin-chin!

It is way tooo easy to drink .......about 35% alcohol by volume....any ice dilutes it more.....you could polish off the whole bottle before long....

I hear ya. That's why it's served in these little flute type glasses.

In Italy I've had limoncello that was so cold it was almost slush, and that is the way to go.

My wife and I polished off the last two drinks left in the bottle tonight. It was very nice, but not as nice as the stuff I've had in Italy. I'll have to investigate this stuff some more, it really is a perfect way to end a fine dinner. I'd be hesitant to mix it with anything, as it's perfect just the way it is. But who knows, it may be just the thing to put in some ice cold green tea.

Cheers to ya!

PS - A little research indicated that the source of the spirit base can be grappa or possibly grain spirits, it varies.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.