Bourbon As a Diet Aid?

bluesbassdad
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, I can hope, can't I?

Seriously, folks, I've been getting steadily fatter since I retired back in 1998. I was around 225 lbs. then, and I had been telling myself that if I could stay under 250 lbs, I wouldn't worry about it. (My post-USAF weight in 1966 was 180 lbs.; I don't think any of the gain since then has been muscle. wink.gif )

Today I did my quarterly weigh-in and got the bad news: 253 lbs, an increase of eight pounds in three months, which is just about the length of time I've been getting acquainted with bourbon with the aid of this forum. Now I have to reverse the trend, at least enough to get below one-eighth of a ton and then hold it there.

Question: Have you ever successfully lost weight without restricting or eliminating alcohol intake?

I figure it would be really tough to do so for two reasons. First there's the number of calories that come from alcohol (about 150 per shot?); second I assume there's a slowing of the overall metabolism rate, the flip side of what happens when the body adjusts to regular exercise.

All suggestions welcome, except maybe that I switch to Diet Wild Turkey. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

Dave I would suggest that you start smoking. Tobbacco is very healthy for your spiritual well being. Instead of eating junk food simply envelope yourself in tobbacco smoke and drink bourbon. You will loose those few little pounds and feel so much better! cool.gif

I don't think bourbon is the solution, but I also doubt it is the culprit, except in as much as the bourbon calories are essentially "new" calories, if you weren't drinking comparable amounts of something else before. You simply have to reduce your eating to make room for your drinking. (It's all about priorities.)

Here is my experience:

I am on the Atkins Diet for the past three years or so. High protein, high fat, and low carbohydrate. I started at 238 and went as low as 187. I stayed around 195 for about 2 1/2 years. But, I broke down between last Halloween and New Year and gained about 15 lbs. Ever since, I have been bouncing around between 200 and 210. Still a lot better than 238!

Bourbon and other dry spirits have not been a problem (for me, anyway). Sweet liquors, wine, and especially beer really send my weight up. But, although alcohol is very closely related to carbohydrates, it technically is not. So, on my particular diet, bourbon has not been a problem.

Tim

And here is my experience...

I have been on Atkins since early March. I lost 25 lbs in the first two months. I had no alcohol during that time.

After the 25 lb loss, I added wine and bourbon back into the diet. Since then, the weight loss stopped, but I have not gained any back.

I will confess that I do have a bourbon (or two) or a glass of wine (or two) most nights of the week. So, the quantity may well have something to do with the lack of continued weight loss.

I was about to drastically cut back again, but then I went to KY and I also found this forum. That hasn't done much for my plans on cutting down the bourbon, but it has done wonders for cutting back my wine consumption. ;-)

Another one who's on Atkins here. Hmmm...could it be that a lot of us are on Atkins 'cause it allows a man to eat a steak and have a shot or 2 of bourbon of an evening and still lose some weight? Well, that's one of my main reasons. (By the way Linn, the reason I need to lose weight now is because I finally quit smoking those slimming cigareets. But I spend my cigareet money on better bourbon.)

What the Atkins wallahs tell us is that we'll slow our weight loss if we include alcohol after the initial 2 week 'detox'. Without many carbs to use as fuel your body burns alcohol before it burns the fat that we're trying to metabolize instead. Slow but steady, and meanwhile I'm less cranky. That's a trade off I can live with. If you're interested, here's a website you should look over:

Atkins

Did someone really rate this thread as Four Pair of Pants?

Never mind the tasting notes from the Chucks and the Linns of the world; I want some of whatever you are drinking. grin.gif

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

That was the deal when I was dieting ( which is no more, and it shows) its just about moderation and being willing to give up one for the other (have a bourbon for dessert instead of the triple chocolate cake, and not both). One of the biggest things to overcome was that when I get a little buzzed I craved greasy food, so I figure that the bourbon didnt hurt my waistline as much as the supersized fries that followed! shocked.gifblush.gifgrin.gif !!! My wife didnt understand how I could lose weight while still drinking alcohol and non-diet soda all the time, but those were the worst things I was eating.

TomC

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.