Bourbon historians needed!

CL
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My aunt was in town and came over for dinner tonight. I showed her my distillery photos from my recent trip to KY. She began to fill me in on my grandfather's jobs at various distilleries throughout his life. I am somewhat embarrased to say that I didn't know about his life in the time before I was born. Consequently, I didn't know how many distilleries in KY he worked at before my life began.

My aunt and I called my grandmother and asked her to fill us in on the details. Here's what I got from my grandmother in the confusion in getting ready for supper. I will be sure to follow up with her later on, but I wanted to see if anyone here can provide some more info.

My grandfather (Thomas Holman Bryant) began at the Frankfort Distillery in 1933. They sent him to Baltimore for a few years before he returned to reside in Pee Wee Valley (east of Louisville). My grandmother mentioned the brands Mattingly & Moore and Paul Jones at the Frankfort Distillery.

After the Frankfort Distillery was bought by Seagrams, my grandfather left to work for Cummins & Collins at 15th Street in Louisville. He worked there through the death of Mr. Collins, but after the death of Mr. Cummins, he began to work at the Old Joe Distillery in Lawrenceburg, Ky. This was about 1951 or 1952.

I remember my parents having commemorative bottles of Old Joe, but in my adult life, I have never seen anything related to Old Joe. But, tonight, I searched the Internet (thank you Google) and found that it is the Four Roses Distillery.

My grandather worked there for a few years before moving to another distillery in Lawrenceburg. I asked my grandmother if that was Austin Nichols on US 62. She said it was something famous and that it was on Versailles Parkway. This sounds like Wild Turkey to me on US 62 between Lawrenceburg and Versailles, but, of course, I don't know if there were some other distillery in the area in the 1950s.

In 1961, my grandfather moved to Philadelphia to work for JA Daughtery & Sons in Philadelphia. After that, he moved to Linfield, PA to work for Publicker Industries about 1966. I lived with my grandparents for a few months in Linfield in 1968. At that time, I believe my grandfather was the manager of the plant. I do remember the school bus dropping me off at the plant's guard house where my grandmother would pick me up. They lived in a house behind the plant on the Schuykill River. The house was a historic house built in 1740 and served as a post office in revolutionary days.

My grandfather retired in 1977. He and my grandmother moved back to Louisville where she still lives. My grandfather passed away several years ago before I gained an appreciation for bourbon. However, I do remember going to the store for him to pick up some Very Old Barton. ;-)

I will be busy in the coming days looking up details on the Internet to fill in the blanks in my grandmother's description. But, if anyone here has any details, I would be most appreciative of any info you could provide.

Thanks!

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

C.L. let me suggest that you pick up a book entitled 'The Evolution of the Bourbon Whiskey Industry in Kentucky' by Sam K, Cecil. This book has a lot of good information on the history of many distilleries. This is not the kind of book you sit down and read, but it is a great reference if you're willing to do some 'data mining'. It contains references to Cummins - Collins; Old Joe, JTS Brown and Boulevard distilleries. There is enough infomation for you to answer about half of your question. Sam is a retired master distiller from Maker's Mark and if you come to the bourbon festival you can meet him and buy an autographed copy. He's quite a character.

• 9 months later...

I spoke to my Grandmother for over an hour tonite. I have some more info to add to this. I hope to get it written up tomorrow.

One of the more interesting things is that she said she donated alot of things to the Getz after my Grandfather's death in Aug 1998. I don't expect it to be much of anything, but, still, that sounds really cool. :-)

Chuck,

This is great. Please keep us informed. If you would like, once you find out what they donated, I'll go over and shoot a couple of photos for the rest of the group.

It's important to get history recorded before people pass away. Some of the stuff you uncover is much better than 'reality TV'... grin.gif

Bj

Thanks, cool idea. I'll shoot it to you when I get it. Though, I have no idea what was donated or whether it was display worthy.

Here's the latest information I have on my Grandfather who worked in the spirits industry from 1928 through 1977, much of it in KY with bourbon. The information I have here is based on two phone conversations with my Grandmother, the first in July 2002 and the second the other night, April 30, 2003. I can't claim that all of it is completely accurate. As time goes on, I will make corrections and add more details.

My grandfather's name was Thomas Holman Bryant; he went by his middle name. He was born on 1/1/11. I remember that he had referred to his birthday as the Five Aces. In his latter childhood, up until he graduated from high school, he lived at 1945 Deerwood Avenue in L'ville. I mention this because I found out from our own Bettye Jo Boone that her grandparents, Harry Milburn Beam and Josephine Rogers Beam, lived at 1832 Deerwood, apparently for part of the same time and that they attended the same church, St. James. (Small world, huh?)

My grandfather graduated from high school in 1928 and went to work for Frankfort Distillers. In 1933, he was sent to Baltimore, MD, to open a plant. He returned in 1936 to marry my Grandmother, Carolyn Klapheke (born 11/5/15). My Mom, Mary Barbara (aka Babs), was their first born in 1937.

After the Frankfort Distillery was bought by Seagrams (1940 something), my Grandfather went to work for Cummins-Collins in L'ville. After the death of Mr. Collins (year?), Cummin-Collins was dissolved (?). Mr. Cummins started the Louisville Distillery on 15th Street and my Grandfather began to work there.

After Mr. Collins died (year?), my Grandfather worked at a couple short jobs before he began to work for Old Joe Distillery (now Four Roses) in Lawrenceburg, KY. At first, my Grandfather commuted weekly to Lawrenceburg, but in the summer of 1952, he moved his family from L'ville to L'burg. If I heard my Grandmother correctly, my Grandfather was the plant manager at Old Joe.

My Grandfather worked for Old Joe for a few years before moving over to JTS Brown on Versailles Parkway (US 62), which I believe is now the Wild Turkey Distillery (I will verify this later).

In the summer of 1955, my Mom moved back to L'ville to work and lived with an Aunt/Uncle. She married my Dad, Donald G. Logsdon, in July 1960, in that same St. James church near Deerwood Avenue. I was their first born in April 1961.

In November 1961, my grandfather moved to Philadelphia to work for JA Daugherty & Sons in Philadelphia. In March 1962, JA Daugherty & Sons was sold in a silent auction won by Publicker Industries. A court battle ensued for some reason and lasted 15 months, during which my Grandfather went to work each day not knowing if he would have a job or not. In 1966, Publicker moved the bottling facility to Linfield, PA. My Grandfather was the manager of this bottling plant.

I lived with my Grandparents for a few months in Linfied in 1967 with my Dad who had just started a job with RCA in Camdem, NJ. I started 1st grade in Linfield. I do remember the school bus dropping me off at the entrance to the bottling plant at the guard house. The guards would call my grandmother to come pick me up. My grandparents lived in a house behind the plant on the Schuykill River. The house was a historic house built in 1740 and served as a post office in Revolutionary days.

After my parents' house in Ft. Mitchell, KY, sold, my Mom and my three younger brothers moved to Linfield in December 1967. In February 1968, my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ. Side note: Though we were in a middle class neighborhood, my next door neighbor was Big Cherry (aka Cherry Hill Fats), a semi-famous swindler (Sylvan Scolnick) who weighed over 700 lbs. and was in jail at the time. Around the corner, about three houses away, was a house built and owned by Al Martino (remember Johnny Fontane in The Godfather?). In an interview, Al said Muhammad Ali was so in love with the house that he tried to buy it away from Al.

Ok, ok, back to my Grandfather. He continued to work at Publicker until he retired in 1977. My Grandparents moved back to Louisville to the house where my Grandmother still lives. My Grandfather passed away passed away in August 1998. But, before then, I was old enough to go to the liquor store on Hikes Lane and buy him some Very Old Barton. :-)

After my Grandfather's death, my Grandmother donated several items to the Getz. (I just found out about this this past week.) In the coming weeks, I will get the list of donated items from her. Our own brendaj (Beej, as Bobby calls her!) has offered to see if any of them are on display at the Getz and take a photo to post here at SB.com.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

My Grandfather worked for Old Joe for a few years before moving over to JTS Brown on Versailles Parkway (US 62), which I believe is now the Wild Turkey Distillery (I will verify this later).

I don't remember the name of the liquor store. It was at the end of Hikes Lane on the block next to the old roadbed for Bardstown Road. (Nearby is where Six Mile also runs into the old roadbed for Bardstown Road; also, Bashford Manor Mall is nearby.)

Across the street from the liquor store on Hikes Lane is a shopping center that has seen better days, but it has a Chinese restaurant that has received Best of L'ville awards in years gone by.

Okay that is Skyway. Nice shop, Not a fancy place, Near the White Castle also. Around the corner on Old Bardstown road they put an Antique mall in an Old High School building, I spent a little time there one day. Found an old Trivet , cast with a flying Duck.

You da man, Bobby. cool.gif After my next visit to my Grandmother, it's Skyway for me while my wife hits the antique store. I wonder which one of us will spend more? confused.gif Actually, that's no contest. Without a doubt, it will be me. crazy.gif

It is a small world...

I have a extensive collection of the history of bourbon...In particular. My Beam family heritage...The documents don't stop there...My family of Beams have worked in nearly all the major Distilleries in Bourbon History past...It's a difficult task trackin them... because they were in nearly all of the Distilleries...Maker's Mark, Seagrams, Heaven Hill, Jim Beam, Stitzel Weller etc.---

They (My great-grandfather and all of his seven son's worked for Julian P. VanWinkle)---One of my favorite letters (in my collection) is from Mr. VanWinkle...He coined the phrase "The Dean Distiller of his age"...When a man of his calliber makes a statement as such...I truly consider it the highest compliment a Distiller can accomplish grin.gif ...

Sorry Chuck,

I get ta driftin away alot blush.gif I have been trying to find out if one my relatives, cousin Charles L. Beam worked with your grandfather...He wrote to my Aunt Jo that, the lab picture (that he sent) was taken in 1947 in Baltimore MD (you mention that your grandfather was in MD)...and that he was a plant superintendent at Joseph E. Seagrams Brands...His exclusive brands were Eagle Rare, Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey...

I was trying to find someone you could talk to...not read about...I think that Charles is "da man" grin.gif ...

I have also spoke with you about the letter that I have on stationary from The Frankfort Distillery....

This is just a small part of that letter...David Beam lived to be 104 years old. He was the grandfather of J.L. Beam present directing authority of distilling operations in Frankfort plants, and the great grandfather of Roy M. Beam, Frankforts chief operating distiller an his six brothers...Sooooooooo by this letter I know that one of my folks probably worked with your grandaddy...

I have a great Aunt Bert Beam (96 years old)...She lives in Louisville, her health is failing but her mind is keen...I wonder if she knew your family...Hell, she probably lives near your grandmother grin.gif Let me know if you would like to talk to her...

Bettye Jo

Thanks, Bettye Jo, for the info. I am very grateful for your interest and help in this situation.

I'm having alot of fun investigating my Grandfather's past. It's even more fun when you find out it may intersect with the family of another Bourbonian. Wouldn't it be cool if my Grandfather and one of your relatives, e.g., Charles, had tipped back a few together? cool.gif

I started doing some Internet research last night. I searched for "Frankfort Distillery" in Google and came up with an article that mentioned the brand spanking new rye distillery that Frankfort Distillers built in Dundalk, MD, right outside of Baltimore. The article says that the plant opened in 1933. This information matches up with what my Grandmother has told me - my Grandfather was working for Frankfort Distillers and was sent to MD in 1933 to work at a new plant. grin.gif

I didn't believe Boulevard (i.e., Wild Turkey) was ever JTS Brown but according to Cecil, it briefly passed from the Ripy family to Bob Gould, who ran it as JTS Brown before selling it to Austin Nichols in 1972. That seems odd, but I'll take Sam's word for it. Maybe that accounts for why the warehouses at Four Roses are actually owned by Wild Turkey and the Four Roses warehouses are over at Lotus, near Bardstown.

The JTS Brown name is primarily associated with Old Prentice, which is the original name of today's Four Roses, although it was also operated as Old Joe for a time. The "real" Old Joe Distillery is around the corner, virtually adjacent to Four Roses. There's not much left of it today, but Old Joe Peyton started distilling there in 1818.

Thanks for the info. I haven't really dove into the Old Joe / JTS Brown years yet of my Grandfather's career, but what little I have read of Sam's accounts of the distilleries in Lawrenceburg is complex and will take some more reading for me to sort them out.

CL,

... will take some more reading for me to sort them out.

I really admire Boone, Cowdery, you, and any others who catalog, and in some cases commit to memory, so many details of the history of the bourbon industry.

I guess I'll dig a little further, I do have in Bluegrass Belles and Bourbon pictures of JTS Brown Trucks etc, Alvin Gould was involved and the picture of the distillery is a nice shot and the warehouse that burned at Wild Turkey is there and Intact, I have an Almost identical picture from the Courier Journal Except the warehouse is in Flames. By the time Kroll had got there for his book Creel Brown had sold out for 10 or 15 years.Creel had sold to the Goulds in 1955 and they moved the label to what is now Wild Turkey.

• 2 months later...

Wouldn't it be cool if my Grandfather and one of your relatives, e.g., Charles, had tipped back a few together?

I found another connection (besides the possible one with Bettye Jo's cousin) between my Grandfather and some well known bourbon industry folks. I found out from one of my uncles back in May of this year, that my Grandfather & Grandmother, while in Anderson County in the late 50s, were good friends with the Ripys.

I am going to a wedding this weekend in L'ville and will have access to all my aunts and uncles on that side of the family. I hope I can get more research done.

I also found out from my uncle that my Grandfather had been a taster during his career. Again, I will seek more details this weekend.

• 2 months later...

If you've not toured the Old Joe or Four Roses distillery I think you'd really enjoy it. The building is quite pretty and they still have an Old Joe sign. If you are attending the Bourbon Festival you can pay $15 on Friday and get in on 1) a talk about bourbon by Jim Rutledge, Master Distiller at 4 Roses (and super nice guy), 2)a tour, and 3) a lunch. And since the Ky Headhunters are playing at the Festival this year I bet they'll be at the lunch.

I look forward to your latest updates after your July Trip.

Thanks for the info on FR. I am going to make a point of going there next time I am in the area (which, unfortunately, won't be the Bourbon festival).

As far as the family update, things didn't work out as planned. The get together I had picked to collect the info was held in a small clubhouse (actually, it was normal size, but we had LOTS of family there). It was too hard to get the aunts and uncles together.

I was going to follow up with them after the wedding via email, but three days after the wedding is when the episode with my father began. Life hasn't settled down any since. (Though, Dad is doing well in the nursing home.)

• 3 years later...
Here's the latest information I have on my Grandfather who worked in the spirits industry from 1928 through 1977, much of it in KY with bourbon. The information I have here is based on two phone conversations with my Grandmother, the first in July 2002 and the second the other night, April 30, 2003. I can't claim that all of it is completely accurate. As time goes on, I will make corrections and add more details.

My grandfather's name was Thomas Holman Bryant; he went by his middle name. He was born on 1/1/11. I remember that he had referred to his birthday as the Five Aces. In his latter childhood, up until he graduated from high school, he lived at 1945 Deerwood Avenue in L'ville. I mention this because I found out from our own Bettye Jo Boone that her grandparents, Harry Milburn Beam and Josephine Rogers Beam, lived at 1832 Deerwood, apparently for part of the same time and that they attended the same church, St. James. (Small world, huh?)

My grandfather graduated from high school in 1928 and went to work for Frankfort Distillers. In 1933, he was sent to Baltimore, MD, to open a plant. He returned in 1936 to marry my Grandmother, Carolyn Klapheke (born 11/5/15). My Mom, Mary Barbara (aka Babs), was their first born in 1937.

After the Frankfort Distillery was bought by Seagrams (1940 something), my Grandfather went to work for Cummins-Collins in L'ville. After the death of Mr. Collins (year?), Cummin-Collins was dissolved (?). Mr. Cummins started the Louisville Distillery on 15th Street and my Grandfather began to work there.

After Mr. Collins died (year?), my Grandfather worked at a couple short jobs before he began to work for Old Joe Distillery (now Four Roses) in Lawrenceburg, KY. At first, my Grandfather commuted weekly to Lawrenceburg, but in the summer of 1952, he moved his family from L'ville to L'burg. If I heard my Grandmother correctly, my Grandfather was the plant manager at Old Joe.

In the summer of 1955, my Mom moved back to L'ville to work and lived with an Aunt/Uncle. She married my Dad, Donald G. Logsdon, in July 1960, in that same St. James church near Deerwood Avenue. I was their first born in April 1961.

In November 1961, my grandfather moved to Philadelphia to work for JA Daugherty & Sons in Philadelphia. In March 1962, JA Daugherty & Sons was sold in a silent auction won by Publicker Industries. A court battle ensued for some reason and lasted 15 months, during which my Grandfather went to work each day not knowing if he would have a job or not. In 1966, Publicker moved the bottling facility to Linfield, PA. My Grandfather was the manager of this bottling plant.

I lived with my Grandparents for a few months in Linfied in 1967 with my Dad who had just started a job with RCA in Camdem, NJ. I started 1st grade in Linfield. I do remember the school bus dropping me off at the entrance to the bottling plant at the guard house. The guards would call my grandmother to come pick me up. My grandparents lived in a house behind the plant on the Schuykill River. The house was a historic house built in 1740 and served as a post office in Revolutionary days.

After my parents' house in Ft. Mitchell, KY, sold, my Mom and my three younger brothers moved to Linfield in December 1967. In February 1968, my family moved to Cherry Hill, NJ. Side note: Though we were in a middle class neighborhood, my next door neighbor was Big Cherry (aka Cherry Hill Fats), a semi-famous swindler (Sylvan Scolnick) who weighed over 700 lbs. and was in jail at the time. Around the corner, about three houses away, was a house built and owned by Al Martino (remember Johnny Fontane in The Godfather?). In an interview, Al said Muhammad Ali was so in love with the house that he tried to buy it away from Al.

Ok, ok, back to my Grandfather. He continued to work at Publicker until he retired in 1977. My Grandparents moved back to Louisville to the house where my Grandmother still lives. My Grandfather passed away passed away in August 1998. But, before then, I was old enough to go to the liquor store on Hikes Lane and buy him some Very Old Barton. :-)

After my Grandfather's death, my Grandmother donated several items to the Getz. (I just found out about this this past week.) In the coming weeks, I will get the list of donated items from her. Our own brendaj (Beej, as Bobby calls her!) has offered to see if any of them are on display at the Getz and take a photo to post here at SB.com.

I remember your Grand Father Mr Bryant I worked at Kinsey right out of High school in 1966. You are right the House is down by the River at the end of the Plant road. I remember a young girl living there at one time also. Your Grand Father was a nice man and came up from Phila to run the place and to get the Bottling operation running right. The worst days were When Sy Neiman the Chairman came to ride around the Place in his Bently. Do you remember seeing that? The House was beautiful then, it is in ruin now. I remember your Grand Father came suddenly as the man running the Place named Bill can't remember his last name has died. I worked for my first years on the yard crew mowing the Lawns hauling stuff to the dump which was up between the house and the old steer Pens. Dave z

Dave z,

It's been several months since CL (Chuck) has posted here. I hope he sees your reply, but I wouldn't count on it.

You might want to click on "CL" to the left of his post and send him an email message.

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.