The BTECs List - what is next??

Vange
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1st Release - Fire Pot, French Oak, Twice Barreled

2nd Release - Chard

3rd release - Zin

4th Release - Cab Franc

5th Release - Does anyone know what it will be??

On the chat recently I referred to it as BTAC, justified seemingly by its age, but Randy B. corrected me, and rightly so it would seem going by this note from John Hansell. I am not sure why it is experimental since the rum is a vatting of two barrels of aged rum but otherwise would seem to be rum made in a traditional way (not e.g., stored for a time in a non-traditional barrel for rum).

Anyhow, whatever it is or should be called, it's nice to see this new release and I assume it will be very good. I look forward to more product information on its release, e.g., where the rums are from, distillation method, etc. Buffalo Trace seems clearly to be only the bottler.

Gary

I guess I should add that aging rum in a new barrel does not strike me as non-traditional, ditto aging rum in a used barrel. As for Scotch whisky, all kinds of cooperage have been used to age rum. For bourbon it is different since until recently bourbon has only been aged in new charred barrels and not "finished" in any way.

Gary

Maybe Trace meant simply it is experimental in the sense of forming part of a line that previously focused on bourbon.

Anyway, I am not one to get preoccupied (really) with terminology; as always, it is the taste that counts!

Gary

Here's another post from John about the origins of the BT "experimental" rum:

http://blog.maltadvocate.com/2008/01/17/buffalo-tracerum/

(I'm on the BTEC mailing list and haven't heard an official announcement yet.)

Here's a link to a similar product -- aged in BT casks (but not in Kentucky warehouses!)

http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/product.asp?pf_id=0400000002873

I love rum, although laltely I've really been turning to rhum agricole, but I definitely want to try this one.

2nd Release - Chard

3rd release - Zin

4th Release - Cab Franc

5th Release - Does anyone know what it will be??

I missed the Cab Franc! Darn.

I only got the Twice Barreled from the first run...so I only have 3 of 6.

I need to pay better attention.

• 4 months later...

(I'm on the BTEC mailing list and haven't heard an official announcement yet.)

How'd you manage to get on the BTEC mailing list? I'd like to be there too.

Thanks!

(This is my first post btw. Looking forward to becoming an active part of sb.)

2nd Release - Chard (6 and 10 yr)

3rd release - Zin (6 and 10 yr)

4th Release - Cab Franc (6 and 8 yr)

5th Release - Blended Rum (2 barrels 17yr blend with 1 new and 1 old oak)

I have not had the rum yet, but the 6yr Cab Frac was the best to me, but that was because the bourbon was so good in that barrel. Very hard to tell how good or bad these could be with a single barrel... I would not want to bet my products life on any one randome barrel

• 3 months later...

Is 6th BTEC possible White Dog Mash #1 Corn, Rye & malted barley at 125 proof?

White dog can be good stuff, my late Uncle Gorden used to say he wouldn't drink a whiskey unless he knew the man who made it.

While on a recent distillery tour, we sampled the white dog at a tasting. It was interesting to follow the flavours from white dog through 15 yo as you lost the corn and picked up the oak/barrel influences. I would love to have a bottle from each of the mashbills for samplings/tracking flavours at home. tim

BT has produced a "white dog" in those cute little .375 L perfume bottles. It's already showing up on fleabay. I think I'll pass on expensive white dog.

Randy

post-379-14489815463134_thumb.jpg

post-379-14489815463134_thumb.jpg

I saw that the other day on Ebay, but thought it was just a special release, not a BTEC product.

It would be excellent if they made that white dog available at retail as a learning tool.

Thanks Tom. It's a great idea. I'll def. be buying one of those. It will be fun to show it to people, see, this is what your drinking started out as.

Hmmm...I wonder who the leach is at BT and who took pictures on the line as it was being bottled and sells them online...

• 1 month later...

BT "white dog" in .375 L bottles has been available in the Louisville area at the Liquor Barn locations for three or four weeks.

I was shopping for Derby Festival supplies and passed on the wd. Might get a bottle for guest to sample at our tastings.

• 3 weeks later...

According to John Hansell, the next releases will be Fine Grain Oak and Coarse Grain Oak... should be interesting to taste the difference between these two...

Chuck Cowdery has a blog entry about the two, including the tasting notes provided by BT.

• 3 weeks later...

These have begun landing as early as Friday of last week. I got the call on Tuesday saying that they were in. I was able to pick up two of each of the fine grain and coarse grain, looking forward to trying them out in a few weeks.

I'm looking forward to see if the boys at bt start using fine grain for some bourbons in the future. Perhaps we're in store for a golden age of bourbon in a decade or so. How about Handy, and Stagg aged in fine grain?

I'm looking forward to see if the boys at bt start using fine grain for some bourbons in the future. Perhaps we're in store for a golden age of bourbon in a decade or so. How about Handy, and Stagg aged in fine grain?

Would definitely be interesting to say the least!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.