Lagunitas

NorCalBoozer
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I've recently regained an interest in beers and "found" Lagunitas. I've really been impressed with the few I've tasted. The brewery is located in Northern California (Petaluma).

http://www.lagunitas.com/

I was sort of surprised that when I did a search here nothing really came up since there are quite a few Bay Area members.

They make some seasonal beers that I've very interested in trying, especially Cappuccino Stout. Also one that sounds really interesting is IPA Maximus which is supposedly a super hoppy ale.

I also like the fact that they have a couple 22 OZ bottles with Frank Zappa on them since I'm a big Zappa fan.

So far I have tried the Censored Ale, Lumpy Gravy and We're Only in it for the Money and I've liked them all.

Just wondering people's thoughts on Lagunitas and which brews they like.

Greg

It is on Tap at my local Yardhouse. I have visited the IPA twice and although the Hops are at the forefront, there are others among the IPA's that are available there that I enjoy more. Stone being one of the ones off the top of my head.

The local liquor stores here have many of their products in bottles. I am going to try some soon and will let you know.

I've had Stones Ruination IPA...it was excellent and hoppy.

Have you had the Oaked Aged Arrogant Bastard?? That one looks really good.

I am headed to a Lagunita's beer dinner this evening in Leesburg, Virginia. Great beers that really work well with food. They always bring out a few special brews along with the ones on the menu. Here is the menu lineup...

MENU

Greeter

Czech Pils

Grilled Mahi Mahi

basted with Papaya Chili Sauce

Jicama Salad,

Pale Ale

Barbecued Shrimp

Wrapped with Peppered Bacon,

Grilled Buttered Corn

IPA

Baby Bell Peppers stuffed

with Smoked Duck Sausage,

Chipotle Cream

Imperial Red

Pulled BBQ Short Rib Slider

with Hill House Coleslaw

Hairy Eyeball

Sichuan BBQ Baby Back Ribs

Pickled Daikon and Carrot Salad

Brown Sugga

Roasted Mission Figs

Studded with Hooks 1 Year Blue,

Toasted Almond Cream

Gnarlywine

wow awesome, looking foward to hearing your review. I'm kinda surprised to hear they distribute that far east, cool.

I am headed to a Lagunita's beer dinner this evening in Leesburg, Virginia. Great beers that really work well with food. They always bring out a few special brews along with the ones on the menu. Here is the menu lineup...

MENU

Greeter

Czech Pils

Grilled Mahi Mahi

basted with Papaya Chili Sauce

Jicama Salad,

Pale Ale

Barbecued Shrimp

Wrapped with Peppered Bacon,

Grilled Buttered Corn

IPA

Baby Bell Peppers stuffed

with Smoked Duck Sausage,

Chipotle Cream

Imperial Red

Pulled BBQ Short Rib Slider

with Hill House Coleslaw

Hairy Eyeball

Sichuan BBQ Baby Back Ribs

Pickled Daikon and Carrot Salad

Brown Sugga

Roasted Mission Figs

Studded with Hooks 1 Year Blue,

Toasted Almond Cream

Gnarlywine

Great dinner.... outstanding beers. My favorite of the night was the Brown Sugga closely followed by the Imperial Red.... both were big and rich with a great finish. At the end of the evening we enjoyed the 2006, 2007 and 2008 Gnarlywine ...... just plain fantastic high alcohol brews. This brewery just continues to do a great job.... wish it was closer!!!

Great dinner.... outstanding beers. My favorite of the night was the Brown Sugga closely followed by the Imperial Red.... both were big and rich with a great finish. At the end of the evening we enjoyed the 2006, 2007 and 2008 Gnarlywine ...... just plain fantastic high alcohol brews. This brewery just continues to do a great job.... wish it was closer!!!

I'm going to do some hunting and see if I can find some of the other iterations like Brown Sugga is supposedly a seasonal brew available from Oct-Dec so I don't know if it's in distribution yet. Was reading a review and it's ABV is listed at 9.9%!

Greg

Was out to the Yarhouse last evening and had the Lagunitas IPA. The server told me that this beer was to be discontinued by the chain shortly. The reason was unclear.

I've had Stones Ruination IPA...it was excellent and hoppy.

Have you had the Oaked Aged Arrogant Bastard?? That one looks really good.

not a bad beer by any means but not worth the price upcharge to me....on the east coast it retails for 16 to 17 bucks a six pack.

Once in a while you'll also spot a giant magnum of Arrogant Bastard...pretty impressive visually as the thing stands almost three feet high and comes with a small chain and padlock (brilliant marketing) around the cap.

retails for around seventy bucks and when you do the math you'd be much better off buying a bunch of bombers of it. Still, an impressive bottle of beer.

Lets see I purchased a few brews this weekend.

Stone's Ruination Ale

Stone's Arrogant Bastard Ale

Rogue Mocha Porter

Lagunitas Sirius Cream Ale

Let's see....well this confirmed I really love Ruination. hops hops and hops. well done.

Secondly the Rogue Mocha Porter was really great. A nice smooth porter with nicely layered coffee and chocolate notes. Will buy this again!

Arrogant Bastard hmmmm it was good but possibly having it after Ruination was not a good idea. I paid $5.99 for a 22 so I'm not so sure I am going to want to try it again soon.

Sirius Cream....interesting initial flavor but really just drops out for me after that. Not much to keep me interested. The cream is nice but I think I'd much rather have a top notch Cream Soda if I want that flavor.

Greg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.