New Georgia Moon Expressions

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Did you ever expect to see that headline? Yep, Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey has apparently been going great guns and Heaven Hill is bringing out two line extensions, Georgia Moon Peach and Georgia Moon Lemonade.

Both will be classified as flavored whiskey, so they will be 70 proof and sweetened. The only other examples of flavored whiskey that I can think of are the Philips Union Cherry and Philips Union Vanilla.

I hope this doesn't touch off a Bacardi/Absolut like frenzy of Coconut Whiskey, Currant Whiskey, Jalapeno Whiskey, etc.

I guess pretty soon Georgia Moon will be in a can with some cola and shipped of to Aussieland.

...Coconut Whiskey...

My wife, who likes both bourbon and coconut rum, would fer sure want to try that.

I'm surprised that they haven't followed the the beer industry and flavored some with lime!

Thomas

I hope this doesn't touch off a Bacardi/Absolut like frenzy of Coconut Whiskey, Currant Whiskey, Jalapeno Whiskey, etc.

Yep! I can see it now, Georgia Moon Eggplant/Arugala Whiskey. Yum Yum!

One of the whisky shooters I've seen is based on corn whisky, I can't recall the name now. It is sold here, I'll look for it.

Gary

Did you ever expect to see that headline? Yep, Georgia Moon Corn Whiskey has apparently been going great guns and Heaven Hill is bringing out two line extensions, Georgia Moon Peach and Georgia Moon Lemonade.

Both will be classified as flavored whiskey, so they will be 70 proof and sweetened. The only other examples of flavored whiskey that I can think of are the Philips Union Cherry and Philips Union Vanilla.

Yet again I leaped to the wrong conclusion upon reading a subject line.

I expected the NAS version to be joined by aged versions (not in oak, of course, per the regs -- maybe a 55 gal. drum) of, say, 10, 12, 15, 20 and 23. Of course that would be days, not years. :grin:

Yours truly,

Dave Morefield

Heaven Hill is the only major distillery that makes corn whiskey to sell. (Others make it for blending.) They sell several brands. Georgia Moon is the leader, mostly because of the moonshine/mason jar gimmick, They also make Mellow Corn, and Mellow Corn bottled-in-bond, which is aged. Corn whiskey can't be aged in new charred barrels. It doesn't have to be aged at all but if it is aged, it has to be in used or new but uncharred oak barrels. To be straight it has to be so aged for at least two years. To be BIB it has to be so aged for at least 4 years.

Part of Georgia Moon's brand image is that it isn't aged and part of Mellow Corn's brand image is that it is. I could, however, see them changing that and bringing out an aged Georgia Moon if they thought it would sell. The mason jar is just too good of a plus to sacrifice. In other words, if it seems that the category can support more entries, they might do them under the Georgia Moon banner.

I could say they are the category, but in the markets where corn sells at all, there are more and more little distilleries making corn, and it's such a small segment that the little guys and Heaven Hill are on a pretty equal footing in a given local market.

Actually I have examples of GM in both pints and 750s that are not in Mason Jars...though these are at 100 proof, I have yet to see the 80 proof in anything other than the jars. Yes the jar is quite the gimmick and many people will turn up their nose before attempting to drink it or do it on a dare only. I'm not sure this evens out, but HH seems happy enough with the results.

Georgia Moon is an interesting animal. The mason jar is of course brilliant. Also interesting is that I have seen varied reactions to it. Some people run in fear thinking it will be nasty, harsh, and cause hair loss. I have also seen it received with great excitement.

A while back I set up an informal after work party where everyone was encouraged to bring along, share, and explain their 'vice'. I brought a lineup of whiskey, mostly bourbon, but including one scotch and a mason jar of GM. Another co-worker brought a nice spread of Cognac. Although the Cognacs were very good and the higher end Bourbons I brought were also very well liked, I have to say the most popular 'bottle' there was the jar. People really liked the flavor.

:)

Georgia Moon is bottled on nearly all the lines at Heaven Hill-- 200 (FL), 375, 750 ®, 750 (fruit) 1.00 (L) the only exception is 1.75...It's not a run on my line.

We bottled the new Georgia Moon, Peach and Lemonade a little over a month ago...in the fruit jar only. Unusal...I guess testing the market before they send it across all lines.

I had some friends request that I bring Georgia Moon to a 4th of July event, as they had uncovered some cocktails that called for corn whiskey. Everyone tried it straight, and more than a couple of them came back for more.

I like the jar, but I'm more fond of Platte Valley's jug.

Regards,

I had some friends request that I bring Georgia Moon to a 4th of July event, as they had uncovered some cocktails that called for corn whiskey. Everyone tried it straight, and more than a couple of them came back for more.

I like the jar, but I'm more fond of Platte Valley's jug.

Regards,

Tim, Have you had Virginia Lightning? It and GM are the only two unaged corn whiskeys I have had. I rate the Virginia Lightning a good step up from GM.

Brad, nope, I don't know if it's available in TX, but I've never seen it. I said several people came back for more of Georgia Moon; I wasn't one of 'em. :grin: I would like to taste a corn whiskey that's a step up (or just an aged version: Mellow Corn BIB is on the short list of things to buy should I get to KY before bonded products vanish entirely).

Regards,

I got to try some AMS corn from the 60's I think...don't know where those notes are...and it was really fine. Possibly the finest drinking corn I've had...but the Mellow Corn is nice as well.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.