Wrigleyville Twisted Spoke Space Empty.

cowdery
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Many of the Straight Bourbon folks who have made their way to Chicago over the years, as well as many of us locals, were fans of the Twisted Spoke in Wrigleyville. Although that location (they had two) was doing fine, the lease ran out and the landlord wanted a big rent increase. In the midst of opening a small chain of wine and spirits store, and with the original Spoke needing major remodeling, they decided to let the Wrigleyville location go.

The landlord had another tenant, another bar, standing by and in they went. Now they're gone and the place is standing empty. That intersection of Clark and Roscoe, under the elevated track, seems to mark the end of that Clark Street strip by Wrigley Field. Nobody did as well there or lasted as long as Twisted Spoke.

I hope the building owner is losing his ass.

I've only been there once but it was an experience I'll never forget.

Joe :usflag:

Randy 2 and I walked by it during last year's WhiskeyFest following the Cubs-Astros game. The bar there was already closed then. I too always enjoyed a visit to the Spoke and talking to Mitch there.

Randy

Do you mean last year's WhiskeyFest or spring of this year? You don't mean spring of 2007, do you? Mitch hasn't been out of there that long, has he? (Time flies when you're drinking.)

I noticed it was empty some time ago but only thought to post it yesterday. I go by there all the time.

For anyone who remembers the opening scene of the 1987 Untouchables movie, that's the bar they blow up.

It was the 2008 WhiskeyFest. I should have said the last one, not last year's. I can't recall the name on the door, but it didn't matter since it was closed.

Randy

I asked because in my dotage I find that things I remember often turn out to have happened longer ago than I think they did.

I think it was "Buck's," or something like that. Brody's?

I like that location and would like to have a bar in there that I like.

I asked because in my dotage I find that things I remember often turn out to have happened longer ago than I think they did.

I think it was "Buck's," or something like that. Brody's?

I like that location and would like to have a bar in there that I like.

Chuck, I think you have found your next calling. Your BAR. That site has your future in it. Like the movie..."Build it..and they will come."

:toast:

JOE

Just don't buy the cheap mystery "whiskey" behind the bar at Chucks place. It may just be a cruel mix of vodka and assorted flavorings. :grin:

Shall we have a contest to name the new Cowdery watering hole? Maybe Chuck's Cubby Hole since it's in Wrigleyville, or send a message to the dumbazz landlord and call it Chuck U Slumlord Tavern....

Hell, I'm looking for a job. Let's buy the place on a LP. We can call it whatever you want.

I'll be in Chicago Fri 8/29 and Sat 8/30 when the Phils meet the Cubs (I don't have high hopes for these games the way the Phillies have been playing lately) Since the Twisted Spoke is closed and Chuck's place isn't open yet, Is there a bar near Wrigley that has a good bourbon selection, or one on the EL route between Wrigley and my hotel near Midway?

-Joe

Chuck U. Farley's seems like a natural.

:lol::lol::lol:

I just "got" this...:grin: Further proof that I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

:toast:

JOE

I'll be in Chicago Fri 8/29 and Sat 8/30 when the Phils meet the Cubs (I don't have high hopes for these games the way the Phillies have been playing lately) Since the Twisted Spoke is closed and Chuck's place isn't open yet, Is there a bar near Wrigley that has a good bourbon selection, or one on the EL route between Wrigley and my hotel near Midway?

-Joe

Delilah's is where you want to go. It's not by Wrigley but easily reached from there. From Midway you'll take the Orange Line downtown, then switch to the Red to get to Wrigley. To get to Delilah's you need to get off the Red Line and get on the Brown Line. It's easy, you just get off one, turn around and get on the other one. If you're going south change at Belmont, if going north change at Fullerton. The Brown Line exit you want is Diversey. Walk west on Diversey to Lincoln, turn left on Lincoln and Delilah's is right there, on the left.

You really don't want to drink in Wrigleyville on game day unless you are between the ages of 21 and 23 1/2.

LOL, I can almost understand. However I was in the Gas Lamp last wek for a Padre v Phillie game. No shortage of adult bars to chose from. A good time was had by all and we barely scratched the surface. Beers on Tap! Yes!

Delilah's is where you want to go. It's not by Wrigley but easily reached from there. From Midway you'll take the Orange Line downtown, then switch to the Red to get to Wrigley. To get to Delilah's you need to get off the Red Line and get on the Brown Line. It's easy, you just get off one, turn around and get on the other one. If you're going south change at Belmont, if going north change at Fullerton. The Brown Line exit you want is Diversey. Walk west on Diversey to Lincoln, turn left on Lincoln and Delilah's is right there, on the left.

You really don't want to drink in Wrigleyville on game day unless you are between the ages of 21 and 23 1/2.

Thanks for the advice and the directions. I'm well past 23 1/2 so I'll check Delilah's out...and when you do decide to open Chuck's Place, I'll come up for the Grand Opening!

-Joe

Don't get me wrong. Delilah's is not a geezer bar, but it's friendly to anyone who loves American whiskey, and it's out of the Wrigleyville sphere, though still convenient for your purposes.

Don't get me wrong. Delilah's is not a geezer bar, but it's friendly to anyone who loves American whiskey, and it's out of the Wrigleyville sphere, though still convenient for your purposes.

Chuck, I went on the web to check them out... some very impressive photos... and with 300+ whiskeys and the best bourbon selection in town, I'd say you've picked the right place, Thanks again!

-Joe

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.