Hirsch 16 v. 20yo

Blackkeno
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This week, I've been drinking only rye based bourbons (not cask strength). This gave me an excuse to open my Hirsch 16yo and compare it with my almost empty frown.gif 20yo.

I'm not sure which I like best. The 16yo seemed more malty and had a more traditional profile. The 20yo seemed to be more elegant and less traditional.

What do you guys think?

• 5 months later...

I am going on memory. I have had 2 bottles each of the 16 & 20yt Hirsch. I remember liking the 16yr a little better than than 20yr. I have 2 bottles of each still in my collection more like a hoard than a colection. I can tell you this from what my sources tell me the 20yr Hirsch is all bottled and once it's gone it's gone. I am not 100% sure but do believe there is still some 16yr waiting to be bottled. I have 3 more bottles waiting for me in Ky this coming summer that will bring my total to 5 bottles of 16yr Hirsch. laugh.gif Hirsch is kinda of a special ocassion bourbon for me. I have had it on my borthday the past couple years and plan to do the same this coming April. grin.gif Creggor.

Guest **DONOTDELETE**

John I did a blind taste test between the two and I've got to say the 16 year old is the hands down winner to my palate. The 20 year old was over aged in my book and not worth buying or drinking.

Having sat them side by side (and knowing the astronomical price difference between them) I can easily say the the 16 year is the far better value. I may even choose that one if they were the same price!

TomC

A H Hirsch-16yo versus 20yo-Hard for me to say as I like them both, but I think I prefer the 20yo because it has a huge body, very thick with carmel & oak and a hint of mint that peppers the tongue that makes the angels dance on the "old taste buds". The finish is also very long. They are both hard to describe to just how good this bourbon really is-very complex.

Cheers,

Marvin

Marvin,

I agree about the 20 year being a 'bigger' tasting bourbon... I think they are both phenomenal bourbons, but the 20 just has that little bit more that i guess is right at the limit of being 'too much' sometimes... I like to think of the 16 as a 'top shelf regular (drink it whenever i want to) bourbon', with the 20 year as a 'special occasion only (drink sparingly, because when it's gone, that's it) bourbon'... I hate the idea of not being able to get any more when it's gone...

-Chris

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.