PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Western Ky!

DukeB
09-15-2008, 10:07
After hearing about StraightBourbon.com for many years at the Bourbon Festival, I finally decided to visit the site and sign up. I live in Owensboro Ky, am married, and have two wonderful boys. I am part owner in a Ford, L/M, Mazda dealership and enjoy traveling with my family. My wife and I started coming to the Bourbon Festival about 8 years ago. Because of the great friends we've met and the wonderful time, we've been back every year since! Our first year my wife and I took a picture in Rip Van Winkle's display and you could see Pappy in the picture over our heads. Everyone who got our Christmas card that year thought he was a distant relative. We enjoyed meeting Julian his wonderful family and look forward to seeing them every year.
I always enjoy stopping in to various distilleries and I must admit, my favorite is Maker's Mark. I am an avid collector and enthusiast! I've been collecting Maker's Mark since 1993 and have been an Ambassador since the programs introduction. As you can see by my Avatar, I have a few bottles on display in my house.
I look forward to meeting the StraightBourbon community. We're really excited about the Bourbon Festival this weekend! I'm lucky enough to get a Ryder Cup ticket on Friday, so I'll be headed to Bardstown right after that. GO USA!
Duke

mozilla
09-15-2008, 12:38
Welcome to the board!

You are close to the new Angostura distillery in Owensboro. It will be on the tour, eventually. Hope you enjoy all that the site has to offer. Sorry, I don't dig on Beam products...so I'll toast you arrival with some Louisville Old Charter 10/86.

Cheers!

DukeB
09-15-2008, 13:44
Yes, I am actually in Owensboro. And we're excited about the re-opening of the old Distillery here. I hope they do it right and make the Distillery worth visiting. Of course, I hope the Bourbon is good too! One bad thing is we're pretty far "off the trail" in Western Ky. But I'm sure true bourbon hounds will make the trek.
By the way...Beam Brands? What's that about? Surely you're not comparing MM bourbon to Beam are you? :lol:

mozilla
09-15-2008, 14:14
Fortune Brands...the owner of Beam Global...ownes Makers Mark.

I don't support Beam Global. Doesn't affect my enjoyment of bourbon in the slightest. I really enjoy Barton and Wild Turkey products. When I make it to Ky...I buy every Bottled in Bond that I can find....especially Dowling Deluxe from HH.

If you don't usually venture very far from the Beam stable...then I recommend you try some of the others available.

Cheers!

fishnbowljoe
09-15-2008, 14:19
Welcome Duke, Glad to have you aboard. Maybe we'll see you at the KBF. The wife and I are headed out in the morning. :woohoo: Joe

DukeB
09-15-2008, 14:23
Thanks! I saw your picture online earlier of your orange Pontiac. I'll look for ya. I'll be in a red Lincoln MKX. I like your fishing pic, I put a similar picture on my signature line of me "fishing hard" for marlin.

DukeB
09-15-2008, 14:24
Funny..I don't really think of Maker's Mark as a Beam brand. I've been enjoying way before Beam was involved. I don't have a taste for any of the other Beam brands. I do like Van Winkle, Woodford, and Wathen's. Hope to meet a few of you all at KBF!

mozilla
09-15-2008, 15:01
I also, really like all of the Four Roses products. They are some of the most flavorful whiskies on the market, IMO.

Do you enjoy other types of liquor? Rum, Scotch or Canadian?

DukeB
09-16-2008, 09:39
I can't stand Scotch or Canadian. I'll enjoy some good Rum in a mixed drink...but I usually don't do that unless I'm on a beach somewhere or fishing in the deep blue! My wife and I enjoy good wine and visiting wineries.