View Full Version : This is Unusual: Old Bottles In A New Store?

09-30-2008, 06:27
I was headed to my evening class at the University last night with a heavy heart. It was the start of Rosh Hashanah and for a number of reasons I could not miss this class. That is a long story. I pulled out of work and headed to the end of the block that I usually do not pass by and noticed a new liquor store had opened. So, I stepped in. Low and behold I noticed a few bottles of Old Charter 8 year old (very rarely seen in these parts) and a bottle of I.W. Harper 80 proof (never seen in these parts). The Old Charter turned out to be about ten years old and the I.W. Harper had a date of 84 on the bottle. Well, I took the Harper home, along with some other stuff I will post about in another post. I intend to go back for the Old Charter soon. Why do you reckon a brand new store in an upscale Latino suburb with almost no demand for Bourbon would stock or even be able to obtain these older bottles? I was surprised to see the 1984 dated bottle in that brand new upscale store. Very unusual.

09-30-2008, 06:47
My guess would be that they bought the inventory of a closing store.

09-30-2008, 06:58
Sometimes store owners sit on products that are special for one reason or another. Neither of those two products are worthy of much admiration, to be honest. The Harper is a little bland and the OC is only 80 proof and pales in comparison to the 10, 12 and 13.

Maybe, the warehouse was sitting on them for some reason?

09-30-2008, 07:12
My guess would be that they bought the inventory of a closing store.
This is my guess too but I still don't see why they would move bottom shelf Bourbons into a new upscale store to sit next to the Van Winkles they had on the shelf. I, cough, cough, took those home too.:grin:

09-30-2008, 07:14
It may be possible that the "new store" was likely just a new location for an old store, maybe he lost his lease at his old spot and got a new one there.