PDA

View Full Version : When you're having more than one

cas
10-19-2008, 15:46
When you are sitting down to have a few glasses of bourbon do you usually have several glasses of the same kind or do you switch from glass to glass? I find I usually switch from one to another with successive glasses, trying to discern the differences. Though I'm not very good at it. What about others on the board - how do you usually sip your bourbon?
Craig

bluesbassdad
10-19-2008, 15:53
Back in the days when I wasn't taking meds with a no-alcohol caution on the label I would often have two drinks at one sitting. (Having a third usually caused me to lose count.)

When drinking solely for enjoyment I usually stuck with one bottling. Only if my first pick didn't hit the spot would I switch.

Rarely I would set out to do a comparison so I'd have something worthwhile to post here. However, even with small pours and the best concentration I could muster I usually found myself losing my frame of reference. I have what it takes to be a drinker, but not a serious taster.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

spun_cookie
10-19-2008, 16:00
I usually stick with one unless we are doing a comparison... over a long period of time I may roll through a couple, but if I start with X, I end with X unless I empty the bottle...

Tonight I oured the last 1-2 oz from my WTRR1010, I an not sure what I will have next... something that is open I am sure...

ggilbertva
10-19-2008, 16:16
There's no hard and fast rule. I normally do not have more than 1 pour in an evening so the question is moot for me...typically. Last night though, I bounced around between Ancient Age BIB, Balvenie Doublewood 12 yr, Johnny Walker Blue and Cherry Coke.

barturtle
10-19-2008, 16:19
Johnny Walker Blue and Cherry Coke.

Does that work? Not sure it sounds like something I'd like.

In an attempt to stay on topic for a change:

If I have bottles sitting around open, I tend to cycle through them, having several different ones as the mood strikes me.

Special Reserve
10-19-2008, 16:20
Craig,

Usually I mix it up, but I have no hard and fast rule.

With the advent of diabetes, I'm drinking a smaller volume (I typically only drink on Friday nights and Saturday) but I've been leaning towards the better quality. I'll get in a grove in time.

Will

ILLfarmboy
10-19-2008, 16:22
More than half the time I stick with one bottling. When I don't, I break it up by waiting a while before switching.

TBoner
10-19-2008, 16:54
I like to move from one bottling to the next (on weekends, which is the only time I drink more than one pour). Coke Zero or Cherry Coke Zero or ginger ale break up the session so that I don't wind up drinking a bunch of bourbon without a break. These sodas (and water) cleanse the palate a bit.

Regards,

StraightBoston
10-19-2008, 17:31
I usually have more than one (up to 4) in a tasting setting, or switch through the evening when simply drinking. Only recently -- in my quest to empty some bottles -- have I followed one pour with another from the same bottle.

smokinjoe
10-19-2008, 18:25
Very seldomly, do I have 2 of the same back-to-back. I may revisit one later in the evening, but I like to compare and contrast the different offerings first.

ThomasH
10-19-2008, 19:02
Except on Thanksgiving, when the drink is limited to Wild Turkey, I usually never drink the same thing twice. Variety is the spice of life!

Thomas

callmeox
10-19-2008, 20:56
I rarely have the same pour twice in the same night. I've got so many open that I now try to compare/contrast different expressions.

Stu
10-20-2008, 00:32
I usually only switch when doing comparisons. The other time I switch is when I go from bourbon to that stuff from across the water. Tonight, for example, I had a drink of Kentucky Spirit but my wife was drinking Ardbeg Renaissance. So for my 2nd drink I had a glass of water, got a clean glass and poured from her bottle.

Vange
10-20-2008, 08:43
As with many others in this thread I typically stick to one bottling unless comparing. What I like to do is pop open a bottle and not let it sit open for too long. Over the course of the next few months I like to finish it off. Currently I am halfway done with my WT tribute. I will be very sad when its gone. A great pour. I do hope WTAS can fill this void for me.

birdman1099
10-20-2008, 11:12
I rarely have the same pour twice in the same night. I've got so many open that I now try to compare/contrast different expressions.

I see we share more than just a name.

I rarely go back to the same bottle in the same night. I too love variety !!!

ThomasW
10-20-2008, 13:19
Usually one bottling, but never more than two.