PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Northern Ireland

Guinness Guy
11-05-2008, 07:08
Hello guys and girls, i have been looking through the forums for about a month now, and thought it was about time i introduced myself, my name is Gareth and i am from Belfast, Northern Ireland . I have been really impressed with the knowledge of all the users. I am just starting out on the bourbon trail, and am keen to find out more about the different types and brands of bourbon. Straight off the bat i am going to ask a question, my local liquor store doesnt have a great choice of bourbon, the last time i checked they had, Jack Daniels, Jim Beam white & black and Woodford Reserve. Are any of these worth buying? And finally, is it acceptable to mix bourbon with coke or other mixers, or is that considered ruining it? Thanks for accepting me into straightbourbon and i look forward to your reply...

smokinjoe
11-05-2008, 07:41
Welcome, Gareth! I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here. I look forward to hearing your thoughts and ideas during your journey on the bourbon trail, as it's alway nice to here perspectives from folks from around the world. Yes, you're right, that's not the greatest selection of bourbons and Tennessee whiskey (Jack D) you have there. But, it's a fine place to start. If it were me, I'd get 'em all!:D I would rate the Beam Black and Woodford as the best. Beam white is rather pedestrian, but OK nonetheless. The Jack is OK (OK, so I'm a little biased against Tennessee Whiskey ;)).
Around here in Bourbonia, it is entirely acceptable and encouraged to drink your bourbon any way you like it. Neat, over ice, mixed with coke. Heck, if you enjoy snorting it up your nose, then have at it! It's all about what YOU like!

Again, welcome and have fun.

NeoTexan
11-05-2008, 09:20
Welcome to the family. Hope you enjoy the journey.

As a wise man once said (and to paraphrase here), " You know what you get when you mix the best bourbon in the world with Coke? .... The best bourbon and Coke you will ever drink." :cool:

Try everything and drink what YOU like. May I suggest finding a local tavern with a good selection and let your wallet be your guide.

Jono
11-05-2008, 10:20
I know this is in Dublin but it is a source:

http://www.celticwhiskeyshop.com/asp/category.asp?objectid=1082&mode=0&recordid=56&t=262387406

Some very good selections...Buffalo Trace, Weller, Handy.

BourbonJoe
11-05-2008, 10:28
Welcome Gareth.
Joe :usflag:

Guinness Guy
11-05-2008, 11:28
Thanks for the responses guys. It is rather depressing being a Bourbon drinker in Ireland. We tend to drink Irish whiskey more than Bourbon. I am going to take your advice and buy a bottle of woodford reserve, a bottle of jbb and a bottle of jbw, and try each of them neat. What should you be looking for when you first sample a bourbon neat? I remember going on a wine tasting holiday in the south of france a few years ago, it was my first time drinking wine. When the people were tasting them they saying things like " i can really taste the coco butter in this one and, this one tastes like crab cakes mixed with dirty socks", to be honest i wasn't tasting any of these flavours. What are the most common flavours you get when trying bourbon?

smokinjoe
11-05-2008, 12:27
To help in your tasting experience with bourbon, I would recommend that you take a look at the TASTING forum, and look at the 7 stickies at the top titled "How to evaluate the different tastes in Bourbon", authored by Marvin. They are fantastic in helping you identify what you're nosing, tasting, etc. I have them printed out, and refer to them often. Also, on the opening page of this website, there is a a thing titled "Tasting Notes". The official tasting vocabulary is there. Good Luck and Enjoy!

branch_water
11-05-2008, 12:59
I think woodford reserve is an excellent bourbon and one of my favorites. In saying that, i am also new on the trail and am trying new bourbons all the time. i have a new favorite almost every time i open a bottle! I dont enjoy jim or jack(jack isnt really bourbon), as i believe they are overrated. I suggest trying it over rocks with a splash of water. I stick to canadian whiskey when im mixing with coke, which is not very often.

Guinness Guy
11-05-2008, 15:13
For all the new people to the forum, i just watched a video on youtube and found it very interesting. It teaches you the basics on tasting bourbons, and familiarizes you with some of the lower priced bourbons, as well as some small batch ones. If you look at the related videos on the side, there are three more parts to the video. If you haven't watched it before, i hope you enjoy it.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=IOfA5E_x8XU

bluesbassdad
11-05-2008, 15:35
Welcome, Gareth!

I see two bourbons in your profile that you didn't mention in your post. I assume you've tried them (Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace) even though they are not readily available at your location. Am I correct?

If so, you may find that Jim Beam Black tastes a little familiar. To my taste it's like Knob Creek's little brother. I like Jim Beam Black, though not as well as Knob Creek. I don't drink Jim Beam White; I'd rather have light American beer from a can. Most folks here think I go overboard in my criticism of that bottling (http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3547&highlight=white).

Woodford Reserve has a reputation for variability. I have made no attempt to keep up with which bottlings are better or worse. As I recall from posts by insiders, the brand was conceived as the vehicle for marketing pot-stilled bourbon to be produced at a new plant. Plans changed, so distillate that would have become Old Forester was shipped to the new plant. I believe the pot-still bourbon production came on line and it was added to the mix. IIRC, it was at that point when many Woodford Reserve fans jumped ship.

Yours truly,
Dave Morefield

Guinness Guy
11-05-2008, 15:47
Hey bluesbassdad, i am currently having a little taste of a few different bourbons. My buddy is a long time bourbon drinker, and has brought round a few of his favourites to let me taste. After trying the Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace, i had to recommend them. You really aren't a fan of JBW are you? haha, Personally i like it, it's quite a nice bourbon to mix, and for the price it can't be that bad. Hey, it must be doing something right, after all it is the worlds best selling bourbon.
(http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/member.php?u=105)

spun_cookie
11-05-2008, 17:08
Welcome to the site Mr GG.... you can order some good stuff from teh whiskey exchange in the UK. They have so OK prices once in a while... many of us here will also lend you a hand in finding state side goodies..

I look forward to your advernture..

Emerald

fishnbowljoe
11-05-2008, 20:40
Welcome to the site Gareth. I like to see new members from outside the U.S. It's interesting to see and hear things from a completely different perspective. Looking forward to your posts. Hope you have a good time here. Joe

Erin go bragh! :toast:

Jono
11-05-2008, 20:50
Guinnes Guy...just a quick Google search....it appears Belfast has an old closed distillery..1930s..revived n 1950s for a few years....too bad.

http://www.dumville.org/whiskey.html

Dunville...Royal Irish Distilleries

Does anyone have any of the old product? Probably pretty rare.

http://www.whiskymag.com/magazine/issue73/12008772.html

"a major blender, responsible for the popular Three Crowns brand and VR,"

p_elliott
11-06-2008, 05:45
Welcome on board Gareth there's a great bunch of people here. Of your local choices I'd pick the Woodford Reserve I've got a bottle in my bunker I like very much. Post as much as you like and the chat room is fun too if the time difference allows.

Guinness Guy
11-06-2008, 14:27
Hey guys, i would like to take this opportunity to appoligise to bluesbassdad. You were very critical of the JBW, and i replied saying that i don't remember it being as bad as you said. After just trying it i couldn't believe that something bearing the Jim Beam name could taste so bad. Although i am a novice, i was surprised at how harsh the alcohol taste was. As i looked at the colour in the glass it was very light, so i thought it would have a mild taste, then after i sipped it, it almost felt like it was burning my insides as i swallowed it. Instead of tasting any oak or caramel, it was more resemblant to paint stripper than bourbon. I will use the rest of the bottle for cocktails, but i won't be buying another bottle again. Sorry bluesbassdad!!!

Gareth

dumpbucket
11-18-2008, 17:37
Finally someone in the UK who drinks bourbon...I live near Leeds, look me up if you are on this side of the water

Guinness Guy
11-20-2008, 17:46
Hey dumpbucket, your from Leeds huh. My dads a Leeds Utd fan, i have never been there. Isn't Julian Barrett,aka, Howard Moon from there? I have a brother in Manchester i visit sometimes. I will have to hit you up next time im over, and we can compare Bourbon notes.