View Full Version : Slainte from Santa! A Top 10:
Okay, this is sort of an unofficial "Wish List" for Santa by us Malt Aficionados. Here are the guidelines:
* The malt must be from a distillery currently producing. Sorry-- Santa doesn't have the connections to hook you up with some depleting stocks of Brora or Rosebank.
* The malt must be something currently in production-- Santa doesn't have enough pull with the distillers to get you something like an all-Sherry-matured, 17-year Cragganmore.
* The price tag must be less than $200 a bottle. Santa can't match the national deficit, you know.
And here... we...
Being the OP, I guess I'll start! :grin:
1) Bruichladdich "Sixteens" series. Any of the ACE'd ones, especially.
2) Singleton of Glendullan 12-year. Supposed to be one of the best dual-cask-matured malts since The Balvenie.
3) Glenfiddich 21-year Gran Reserva. The only expression of Glenfiddich I haven't owned, but really want to.
4) Bunnahabhain 12-year. No idea what this is like. Would love to find out.
5) Isla Jura 16-year. This is supposed to be the best expression of this distillery's range.
6) Talisker 18-year. Because the 10-year is so yummy, I want to see what a few more years will do.
7) Glenmorangie 18-year. 15 years in designer American Oak, 3 years in Sherry. I place a lot of trust in Glenmorangie's cask selection and have NEVER been disappointed.
8) Caol Ila 18-year. I love the 12-year. I can't get the 18-year in PA.
9) Highland Park 16-year. 14-16 years seems to be a "sweet spot" for Island and Coastal Highland distilleries in general...
10) Springbank 10-year. I want to see what this distillery's character is like.
I've already got some of the bottles on my list just this week:
Glenkinchie Distillers Edition
Glenmorangie The Quinta Ruban
If I could add to that:
Dun Bheagan Rosebank 15
Highland Park 18
The Glenlivet Nadurra
The Arran Malt Tokaji Aszu
The Balvenie Rum Cask 17
The Balvenie Signature 12
Boss, if you like Talisker 10 wait till you try the 18. I had my first glass last night, and I can honestly say that it's one of the best drams I've ever had. I also had my first Nadurra last night, and it was also sensational.
Boss. Springbank is one of my favorites. I have a cask strength 10year old Bourbon aged expression that I've been attacking. Just real solid whiskey. Great nose, med to full body with nice depth. Yum. Get one if you can. You will no be disappointed.
The Bunni is great as well. The unpeated Islay malt. 18 year old Caol Ila is nice, but that distillery drinks best between 9 and 12 years for me.
Glendullan is great for what it is. Easy drinking. Not an enormous amount of flavor going on to my liking. But still not bad.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.1 Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.