PDA

View Full Version : I picked up a bottle of Thomas H. Handy Sazerac on Friday...

shoshani
12-20-2008, 19:23
...and I'm having a LOT of trouble putting it down!

This is a seriously enjoyable rye. At 6 years old it seems to be basically Baby Saz at barrel strength. Picked up another one tonight just to bunker.

OscarV
12-21-2008, 04:43
I'm not a rye guy but I love this years Handy.

Lost Pollito
12-21-2008, 10:08
The Handy is the winner out of the '08 btac's for me. Just really balanced and enjoyable.

Old Lamplighter
12-21-2008, 21:59
Don't have the 08 as of yet. If it is anywhere near the 1st year 06 bottle, it should be fantastic!

fishnbowljoe
12-31-2008, 17:06
I'll tell you what, I'm not really a rye type of guy. I did get to taste the 08 Handy at a small SB get together/tasting at Binny's a couple of weeks ago. All I can say is, ''WOW"! Rye, bourbon, whatever. This was one great tasting whiskey. I was very, very impressed. Joe

Dramiel McHinson
12-31-2008, 17:10
I am soooooooooooo jealous. It's no where to be found in my neck of the woods. And, internet sales are naturally a threat to the alcohol control board's control. A road trip to Kentucky might be in order.

mgilbertva
12-31-2008, 18:02
I absolutely loved the '06. It was one of my all-time favorite whiskeys. The '07, on the other hand, needed a lot of time to open up. Once it did it was very very good, but the '06 was still better.

I would have to try them side-by-side to pick my favorite, but I think the '08 rivals the '06, at least in terms of which I prefer. It's different - not quite as powerful as the '06 - and the '08 is surprisingly refined and nuanced for a barrel-proof, especially for only 6 1/2 years old. I agree with Lost Pollito, it's very well-balanced.

If you can, do yourself a favor and get some.

polyamnesia
12-31-2008, 18:08
i bought my bottle maybe less than 2 weeks ago...perhaps?

that bottle was empty 2 days ago or so...i miss it already.

one of the best i've ever had. one of those $50+ bottles that was more than worth the ticket price.

not sure if i want to go for another or try the 08 Stagg.....that is, if any are left

funknik
01-04-2009, 14:33
I can't get the Stagg up here, but the Handy Saz is a great surrogate! I'll have Stagg someday, but I can't imagine it being more enjoyable than this bottle. I'm glad you guys know how old it is (6.5 years I read?)...I was surprised that there wasn't an age statement on the bottle...also, is this a single barrel bottling? There is nothing to indicate this on the label, so I though it might be a mingling of different ages/barrels to create the tasty end product. Either way, this is all incidental, because this stuff is just heaven in a glass.....smooth, woody but sweet and seductive....glad I bunkered one, I may not be able to make this bottle last.

polyamnesia
01-06-2009, 16:06
stagg is now available in further neighboring counties....it's ok. i had the 2007. i am sanctified.

and the 2008 handy saz was even better. i'm ok.

of course, we can always be more than ok.

but this WT rye is really much more than ok...:grin: i'm fine with that.

Buffalo Bill
01-07-2009, 12:50
Don't have the 08 as of yet. If it is anywhere near the 1st year 06 bottle, it should be fantastic!

The Handy 06' is off-the-charts good! As was the ER17, and the Saz 18. All open here... ri-dic-u-lous.

The Handy is gone... and i forgot to write tasting notes on that one.

BB