PDA

View Full Version : bourbon recomendations for novice

TonyDVC
03-22-2009, 16:45
GreetingsI am new to bourbon drinking and need some guidance. I am looking for a good cheap bourbon, and good midpriced bourbon, and a topshelf pour. Any suggestions you would be welcome. I have tried Jim Beam white label, Knob Creek, and Makers Mark. MM was probably my favorite. I was mainly a Scotch single malt kind of guy prior to my bourbon tests.

OscarV
03-22-2009, 16:50
Good cheap,....WLWeller Special Reserve
Good midpriced,...Four Roses Single Barrel
Good top shelf,...Van Winkle Family Reserve Lot B,
or the '08 George T Stagg.

callmeox
03-22-2009, 17:00
Here's a great thread that you should review on this very topic.

Welcome to SB!

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

TonyDVC
03-22-2009, 17:11
Thanks 'callmeox'That is just what I am looking for.TonyDVC

T47
03-22-2009, 17:20
My favorite inexpensive pour is Old Granddad BIB. Not knowing what’s available in your area, a nice mid level bottle that seems to be in most markets is Eagle Rare SB. And for a top shelf that is usually everywhere I think Bakers is a nice pour, if you want to try a higher proof go for the Bookers. Enjoy your research.

:toast:

p_elliott
03-23-2009, 08:01
Welcome aboard, for a bottom self bourbon I highly recommend Evan Williams black label. Going a little higher up since you like Makers Mark try Old Weller's Antique 107. As far top shelf goes the sky is the limit Booker's, any of the BTAC but remember buyers remorse. The only problem with the top shelf is that you expect to much It's supposed to be so good and it cost so much that it doesn't/can't live up to your expectations or does it because you've been told it does.

fishnbowljoe
03-23-2009, 15:15
Tony, My thoughts are; Lower, Weller SR or Old Forester BIB. Mid, ERSB or Weller Antique 107. Upper, anything with Van Winkle on it, or any of the BTAC. With apologies to Walter Cronkite, "And that's the way it is..." :lol: Good Luck, Joe

OscarV
03-23-2009, 15:45
, for a bottom self bourbon I highly recommend Evan Williams black label.

Good call, it's great over cracked ice.

squire
03-24-2009, 20:29
Hey Tony, welcome aboard. Good, cheap Bourbons are products from Heaven Hill bottled at 100 proof and sold under different labels around the Country. They are solid, substantial, traditional Bourbons as respectable as any whiskey made anywhere. There are others that fit that profile, Barton for instance, I just point out HH because they are widely available.

Middle grades are distinguished a bit more because the Masters mingle the barrels to keep the flavor profile consistent and they usually have more age on them. Mixed with ginger ale, coke or in a cocktail most folks won't notice a difference from the less costly alternatives, present company excepted of course.

The premiums are older yet and come in pretty bottles. Myself, I have no use for an empty bottle and see little reason to pay extra for one. What makes them special is some are truly spectacular whiskies. Whether they are worth the extra money is a personal call. I could pour a three year old bourbon in a Maker's Mark bottle and most of my single malt friends would only notice the label.