PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Glasgow, Scotland

butephoto
04-29-2009, 00:51
Hi guys. I'm Mark, a scotch whisky drinker looking to expand his horizons so I'm hoping I can pick up loads of good bourbon recommendations from this site.

Cheers!

DrinkyBanjo
04-29-2009, 05:52
This would be the place to start, watch your wallet!

p_elliott
04-29-2009, 06:55
Hi Mark decided to start drinking the good stuff:slappin:. You found the right place you'll get lots of good recommendations here. Do you have much access to bourbon there in Scotland? One of my favorites is Wild Turkey 101 you should be able to get the the 8 year old version and possibly the 12 year old there. Those are export only we don't get that here. We have a section on here for the dreaded scotch drinkers so feel free to visit that area as well. There's lots to learn here but we're interested in your opinions as well so don't be afraid to speak up and tell us what you think. Make some new friends and have fun and above all post often. Paul

Jono
04-29-2009, 07:46
Welcome Mark! I remember being corrected in my pronounciation of Glasgow when I was there years ago. I was in the train station and asked a ticket agent something and said "GlassGow" which led to him to say...it is "Glazzgo"
. I think you will find good bourbon a nice addition to your whiskey collection.
I reach for bourbon, Rye, Scotch, Irish, Canadian etc. as the mood strikes me. If you can find a decent Rye try that too. There are forum threads on all of these varieties.

funknik
04-29-2009, 07:51
Welcome to the board! Enjoy the resources & wonderful people you'll find here . . .

Maddog918
04-29-2009, 19:50
Welcome Mark. I hope to make it to Scotland and Ireland in the next couple of years to try some good Scotch and Irish Whiskey while checking out the distillaries. I would drink it here but I'm too busy trying to drink the good bourbon.

Brian

Stu
04-30-2009, 10:03
Welcome Mark, until a few years ago I was a malt drinker who didn't care much for bourbon. Thanks to some good tutelage from folks on this site I now love it. A good aged unfiltered bourbon is as complex as an aged unfiltered malt, however the flavor is totally different. My malt tastes runs toward Islay, but I also enjoy a good lowland or Speyside. If yours is similar, I'd suggest starting with Elijah Craig 18 and/or Four Roses Single Barrel. If they're not available there, let me know and I'll bring you a bottle next year when I go to Feis Ile. I always land in Glasgow. Where are you located? I'm not going this year because we had a bad ice storm and I'm going to spend all summer cleaning up the mess.

Uncle Oswald
04-30-2009, 11:30
Conversely, I'm a Bourbon Whiskey drinker interested in getting into Scotch Whisky. Given my taste for Bourbon, Speyside was the first that immediately appealed to me because it touched on some of those same familiarities. Isley completely threw me off at first with all the profiles of iodine and peat, but it's since grown on me substantially.

callmeox
04-30-2009, 14:24
Welcome, Mark! I was lucky enough to spend a week in Glasgow on behalf of my company a few jobs ago and I really enjoyed my time in the city. Between the pubs, the clubs, and the awesome Indian restaurants (Koh-I-Noor, Mr. Singh's, Kama Sutra) I had much difficulty keeping my mind on my work.

What bourbon labels are available in Glasgow?

fishnbowljoe
04-30-2009, 14:50
Mark, Welcome to the wonderful world of bourbon. Walk softly, and carry a big barrel. :slappin: Don't have any experiences with scotch at all, so I can only recommend bourbons that I think would be decent as a jumping off point for you. Also, I'm not sure what's available to you. My suggestion would be to try a bottle or two from the different ends of the bourbon spectrum. Get a bourbon with a rye mashbill, and get another with a wheated recipe. I think just for starters, something from Wild Turkey, and one of the Weller bourbons would be the way to go. I hope these are available to you. Enjoy. Let us know how it goes. Joe

butephoto
05-01-2009, 13:59
Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I've tried Wild Turkey 101 (I assume the 8yo) and loved it. We can get things like Maker's Mark, Four Roses, Woodford's Reserve and Bulleit among others over here although I'm sure it would be very difficult to find anything other than the standard bottlings. There's a new bar here which stocks something like 200 bourbons (possibly including other American whiskeys which is where I get confused) so I can see if they have anything that anyone recommends here.

Thanks again for any help and suggestions. Time to get reading the forums!