PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a new bourbon drinker

westky
05-11-2009, 21:56
First, I just wanted to say hey to everyone, and also, if this needs to be in the "New Member" forum, mods please move it, and I apologize.

Second, I have a question...I am pretty new to bourbons. I have enjoyed a Beam and Coke on many occasions, but usually drink beer, and have never have gotten into the higher-end bourbons and drinking them straight. I'll admit I'm not used to the burn that whiskey has, and for starters I'd like to try something pretty mellow with not so much burn (it's ok to laugh if ya want :cool: ). What are a few suggestions for a good "starter"? As I said, something pretty mellow and smooth, to get me used to the "burn". Price isn't a huge issue (I don't mind spending $50-60 a bottle), but I can't be dropping $100 on something at this point unless I know I just love the stuff. Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions, and I'm glad to be a member here.

T47
05-11-2009, 22:01
Makers Mark is easy to find and I find it smooth. Also Weller 12 is one that I find goes down easy.

westky
05-11-2009, 22:03
Thanks. Sorry if this gets to be an old topic, I suspect it's been discussed on here a time or two before.

edo
05-11-2009, 22:07
Thanks. Sorry if this gets to be an old topic, I suspect it's been discussed on here a time or two before.

Yeah, check "the ultimate newbie question" just below your thread for more tips on reducing 'burn'.

DowntownD
05-12-2009, 02:01
try some Elmer T. Lee single barrel (~$30/750ml), one of the many good bourbons from the Buffalo Trace facilities.

I like it on a couple or three rocks, and it goes down dangerously easy that way and tastes pretty fantastic all the while.

p_elliott
05-12-2009, 08:42
I think you perfectly described Basil Hayden's it's expensive about $40 a bottle but I think it's just what your looking for.

Joshua
05-12-2009, 15:54
I would give Old Rip Van Winkle 10 year, 90 proof a go. Runs about $22 here, and I personally find it very drinkable. Obviously, each person has different thoughts... but for low price that's my top pick.

tommyboy38
05-13-2009, 07:05
First, pour out the Beam (maybe into a glass with some coke).

Second, start practicing by drinking as much as possible.

Just kidding.

No need to spend $50 or $60 on a bottle as there are many fine bourbons $20 and less. Many on here enjoy the Weller whiskies. I do also but my favorite cheap bourbon Is Evan Williams. Give it a try. If there's a bit of burn, add a little water or ice and try to balance flavor versus burn.

Good luck and welcome aboard.

P.S. - Wanna "better" bottle that may cost a few bucks more? Get some VW lot b.

kickert
05-13-2009, 08:58
where in Western Kentucky are you?

-bk

callmeox
05-13-2009, 10:10
Here's a great thread for beginners:

http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8142

bonneamie
06-05-2009, 15:22
My understanding of the bourbon world is that you don't really want to be a new bourbon drinker but an "Old Bourbon" drinker :lol:

OscarV
06-05-2009, 15:24
Yow-suh!
She's on fire!!!