PDA

View Full Version : Had my first try....

s2srea
05-18-2009, 20:24
Hey everyone. I'm new here. I've been really into wine for a couple of years now. However, something about bourbon's been tugging at me everytime I've heard it mentioned; I think it must lay in the fact that this is a drink I've heard people really can appreciate on a bunch of different levels- and I think that's what I really like about wine.

So I was at the BX for my reserve weekend and saw a 1L bottle of Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select. Got it for 26 bucks (no tax :grin: ) and thought that was not a bad deal. I visited this site and was trying to figure out how to serve it. Ends up, I tried it in it's most simple form "neat" (I wanted a true understanding of what it was this liquid was!). I couldn't get over how sweet it smelled- beautiful. Very woodsy. Taste wise, obviously, it was quite the suprise to my mouth- which I expected. I've never been a big drinker anyways. In all, I found it really interesting, and would love to keep learning about the different makers out there, comparing and contrasting. Thought I'd share this with you all, and maybe rekindle those memories of your first days with..... bourbon! Cheers!

Klepackage
05-18-2009, 22:36
I'm impressed by the work that you put in for your first drink of bourbon! It sounds like you've got the idea with regards to tasting as well.

I usually drink my bourbon neat, but every once in a while, I'll add a few drops of water. These are literally drops, not any sort of large quantity. You'll find that this can open up new flavors that you might have missed. Give it a try and let us know what you think.

=Chris

p_elliott
05-19-2009, 08:53
Welcome aboard most people don't have the savvy to sip a bourbon neat the first go round. They either mix them or slam them and work their way up to neat hats off to you. You have the makings of a connoisseur now all you need is some nice whiskey glasses and a big wallet and your off to the races. This can be a fun trip experiencing all the different subtleties in the bourbons. Have fun, post often, make some new friends, and if you have questions along the way somebody on here will have the answers for you and will be glad to give them to you. Stop by chat scheduled chat is Sunday and Thursday nights but it's open all the time.

Single-Barrel
06-04-2009, 11:36
Welcome to the wonderful world of fine Bourbon (made for sipping not gulping) As you have figured out Bourbon can be very enjoyable, just remember to sip responsibly!!:cool: Cheers!!

OscarV
06-04-2009, 12:30
Welcome s2srea.

Looks like we hooked another one!