PDA

View Full Version : Hey from KY

ODaniel
08-03-2009, 10:23
Hey what's up. Lately I have really been craving some bourbon... good bourbon. I guess I'm having withdrawls. I moved from Louisville to Lexington 1yr ago and have only had 1 bottle of Jim Beam, and a bottle of Bushmills, since. My sister just got me some Jameson. They're all ok, the Irish is good and smooth, but I love bourbon. I started drinking with Kentucky Tavern, gross. Before I moved all I ever drank was bourbon, usually Jim Beam - since, it's been all beer. I know beer like you all know bourbon, so I'm ready to move onto another expensive venture into the world of good bourbon (craft beer is expensive enough, hah). The bad part is I will be sticking to entry level for awhile. I never have enough money to get anything decent. The best I've had has been Jim Beam Black and Makers, although Bushmills Single Malt was pretty damn good I thought. I'm going to try to get my dad to take me to the Bourbon Bistro sometime, since I can't pay for it. He loves good alcohol too. But yea, I love good beer and brew my own, all grain, lots of different styles. I currently have a Kentucky Common fermenting. My Extra Stout won 3rd place for its first recipe. Guess that's about it. Looking forward to getting some Old Forrester Signature or some Old Van Winkle 10 yr. At least I shouldn't have trouble finding anything here :cool: . The Pizza Pub near me that has a huge selection of beer has some decent Bourbon, so I'm going to check those out soon. See ya around.

fishnbowljoe
08-03-2009, 16:31
Welcome to SB O. I have a few suggestions for you if you're really serious about getting into bourbon. First, since you live in Lexington, take some time and hit the Bourbon Trail. The tours at the distilleries are really great. They're fun, informative, and very educational. (Most of them have free samples too.:grin:) Second, Do some research. Take a look at the history of some of the threads here. There's a ton of info and recommendations on bourbon. Third, Once you get a basic idea of what is what, (wheated or rye recipes) try a few different bourbons/ryes. That way you can get a better idea of where your tastes lie. No sense in going out and trying to buy everything. Especially with the economy the way it is. (Wish somebody would have told me that when I first got started. :skep:) Hope this helps you get started. Feel free to post and ask questions. That's why we're here. Have fun and enjoy. It's all good. Joe

p_elliott
08-04-2009, 07:04
Welcome aboard nice to have you. So you have a champagne taste on a beer budget the good thing about bourbon is we can deal with that. There are a LOT of very good low price quality bourbons. One I happen to like is Even Williams Black label for about $13. Here's some others that won't break the bank Old Grand Dad BIB, for that matter a lot of your BIBs are going to be good bourbon at a good price. Another I like is Fighting Cock 107, Going a little higher in price say the $20 to $25 range we have Wild Turkey 101 great stuff, Old Weller Antique 107. So there are a lot out there starting at around $13 on up that are good to great others on here will have other suggestion and do research on the site. Like Joe said don't go out and buy a whole bunch of stuff. Get to know your distilleries and their flavor profiles and what you like it will save you a ton of money. Another thing that would save you money if your not sure buy a pint instead of a 750ml.

ODaniel
08-04-2009, 09:54
Thanks. Yea I've been looking up what people think about different bourbons on here, and I'm going to go check out what some liquor stores have. I'm willing to spend 25-30 on some good bourbon to try and see how it is, but after that I'll just get some cheaper, but still decent bourbon. I'm going to look for some Old Weller Antique 107, Old Forester Signature, ORVW 10/107 and get one. I'm pretty broke right now, but I keep craving bourbon almost every night. My girlfriend is going to split it with me. She wants to get into good bourbon too. I taught her well about good beer. I do try to only drink good beer, if I buy beer, but I hardly ever buy beer. I usually just drink what I make because it's waay cheaper, even cheaper than buying shitty beer.

mobourbon
08-04-2009, 11:54
If you're willing to spend $25-30 for a good bourbon, try Buffalo Trace. It's between $20-$25. It's a great price for a small batch bourbon.

ODaniel
08-04-2009, 13:01
I saw that on the affordable good bourbon list too. I'll have to check that out some time. I'm about to see what Rite-Aid has in bourbon, since it's down the street and Louisville is a mass flood today. They have great prices on alcohol surprisingly. I'll check out a liquor store later.

mobourbon
08-04-2009, 13:28
The Rite-Aid in Frankfort has a good bourbon selection. Reasonable, too.:grin:

ODaniel
08-04-2009, 13:55
Just got back. I got a 750ml Old Forester Signature for $16. They had a decent selection. I didn't see any Weller or Van Winkles, but most other popular bourbons. Can't wait to crack this open later.

Josh
08-04-2009, 18:46
Just got back. I got a 750ml Old Forester Signature for $16. They had a decent selection. I didn't see any Weller or Van Winkles, but most other popular bourbons. Can't wait to crack this open later.

Good choice, O! And welcome to sb.com!

ODaniel
08-05-2009, 14:59
Thanks. I enjoyed the OFS last night.