PDA

View Full Version : Napa Valley Newbie

dridge11
12-12-2009, 08:34
Just a hello....I'm a long time wine collector and while wine is still my #1 passion, I've always enjoyed scotch and great beers. I'm building up a small scotch/bourbon collection and figured this would be a good resource to find some suggestions.

Cheers!

jinenjo
12-13-2009, 23:23
I don't normally greet new members (nothing personal, just don't spend too much time on SB.com these days), but the Nor Cal locale caught my eye.

Welcome and enjoy the ride. Let me know if you want suggestions. You'll get plenty here if I don't happen to get back to you.

I'll give a plug for my favorites of late.

"Regular/daily" pours: Weller 12 year old (wheated bourbon), Sazerac Rye are both modestly priced and solid pours. I'd also include Buffalo Trace too, although it has its detractors, but I think it's great (see the Bourbon of the Month thread). Wild Turkey 101 proof is also very reliable.

Mid Shelf: Four Roses (anything by them is very good. I think there's a local spirits shop by you--JV Liquors, I think--that may carry their own single barrel version).

Top Shelf: Any BTAC, especially Sazerac 18 yo, Thomas Handy. And the always praised Pappy Van Winkle, like their 15 yo. My top shelf (bargain) picks are also the no-longer-made vintages (aka dusty bottles) like Old Grand Dad, Old Taylor, Old Crow, Ezra Brooks 7 yo, and '70s era Old Forester to name a few.

Salud!
Lear

dridge11
12-14-2009, 08:13
Thanks Lear...I actually went by JV over the weekend just to have a peak around and saw many of the ones you mentioned. Going to pick some up after the holidays and see what strikes me.