PDA

View Full Version : Question about four roses

jwistuber
05-05-2010, 21:47
I have starting seeing four roses on the shelfs here in phoenix and it seems to me mentioned alot here. I am thinking of giving it a try, what are your impressions of it. Taste finish ect.
Thanks

hectic1
05-05-2010, 22:00
There are lot of different bottles of Four Roses...they are all different in their own respect. Do you know which bottles that you have available?

Josh
05-06-2010, 04:37
If you're talking about the regular Four Roses with the yellow label, its definately worth buying.

It's very well balanced, almost fussy, with spice, candy, a bit of wood, I could go on and on. If I had to descibe it in one word, I would say "elegant".

If you haven't noticed, I really like it. It does very well in cocktails that allow the whiskey to shine through, like a Manhattan.

jburlowski
05-08-2010, 06:07
All the FR expressions are good... can't say I've ever been disappointed.

Personally (but hey that's just me) I'd rank them in the following (best-to-last order):

any Mariage
any LE (e.g., 40th Anniversary, 120th anniversary, 2009, etc) single barrels
Small Batch
standard issue or retailer-selected single barrelsRanking the SmB higher will likely :shocked: be controversial with many here. But I like the complexity of the extra distillations.

edo
05-08-2010, 06:43
The yellow label is everywhere here. And I gotta disagree with you guys. I haven't had any in a couple years, and was tempted to buy it yesterday since it was on sale for about $11. I passed on it and got the Early Times export bourbon for the same price.

I only had that one bottle (maybe even three years ago), but I found it sweet, oily and cloying. I've never met a bourbon I couldn't drink, but I've found a lot of other similarly priced whiskies more to my taste.

That said, it was long ago. Tastes change. Maybe I should give it another shot.