PDA

View Full Version : old bottles of bourbon

tlharvey7
05-18-2010, 18:38
hi everyone, thank you for letting me into this forum.
here is my situation/question
i was at a yard sale a couple weeks ago and this guy had about a dozen
decorative jim beam decanters... dated around the early 70's i opened one and, of course, the bourbon is delicious.
average age is 80 months. i could care less about the bottles, what i would like to do is crack them all open, put the booze an small oak barrel and age the bourbon for a couple more years. i think it would be an awesome experiment, is this worth the effort?
is so, can you give me proper directions as well as where i can get the supplies i need?
thanks in advance for your expertese

Squash
05-18-2010, 19:38
Mr. Wasmund at The Copper Fox Distillery has just what you are looking for.

http://www.copperfox.biz/

cowdery
05-18-2010, 22:56
You can do what you want, but if it were me in that situation, and the whiskey had survived its time in ceramic without damage, I would get it into bottles with good, tight screw caps and enjoy it for what it is. I wouldn't put it back into wood. That whiskey is a time capsule. Why change it? If you want to mess around with barreling something, do that with something you can go to the store and buy.

p_elliott
05-19-2010, 07:59
I think I agree with Chuck, do your re-barreling experiment with something current and not too expensive. Decanter those old beams and drink them.

fishnbowljoe
05-19-2010, 12:13
I also agree with Chuck. Enjoy the bourbon that's in those decanters. I have been fortunate to acquire a few older Beam (and other) decanters here and there. It's good stuff. It's sad, but you probably won't taste anything like it again. Also do like he suggested by getting the whiskey into other bottles. I always keep a couple of empty bottles on hand just in case I find a decanter, or something happens to a bottle I have open. Joe

Enabler
05-19-2010, 12:41
I always keep a couple of empty bottles on hand just in case I find a decanter, or something happens to a bottle I have open. Joe

Semper Paratus. l

unclebunk
05-19-2010, 14:02
As Chuck said, I'd leave the juice as it is and experiment with aging something else. I've had some pretty tasty whiskey from those '70's decanters, so drink up and enjoy.

p_elliott
05-21-2010, 00:01
As far as information about re-barreling there is a thread on here about it if you look for it with all the information you need. I won't take you a couple of years to get the results you're looking for but a matter of weeks to months if you do it right from what I understand.