PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Minnesota!

mrviognier
07-05-2010, 05:05
Nice to have found this site! I have been an avid Bourbon drinker/collector since my days as a undergrad at University of Georgia (gotta love the SEC!). Have well over 200 selections on my back bar, the most-recent addition being a bottle of Very Old Fitzgerald distilled in 1962 @ Stitzel-Weller.

Have been in the wine & spirits' business for 30 years, having owned retail shops, wine bars, import companies and making wine in the U.S. and abroad. Managed a number of California wineries...and ended up owning my own winery (and did a bit of distilling, too) for over 12 years. Got tired of the travel, and sold off the winery in early 2009. Moved to MN with my family, and now run one of the state's largest wine & liquor wholesalers.

Great thing about selling liquor in MN is that I have access to every Bourbon available in the state. Favorite Bourbons include Van Winkle, Stagg, Black Maple Hill, Weller and the older Hirsch bottlings. Really enjoy rye whiskey as well.

Looking forward to learning a thing or two from this site!

Mat Garretson

OscarV
07-05-2010, 05:17
the most-recent addition being a bottle of Very Old Forrester distilled in 1962 @ Stitzel-Weller.

I'm sure you meant Old Fitzgerald.
I saw a TV show yesterday that featured the Northern Waters Smokehaus in Duluth.
If I were in the state I'd be there.
And yeah, Roll Tide! (no offence to Georgia)

mrviognier
07-05-2010, 05:40
Thanks...just changed it. Still on my first cup of coffee. :grin:

Gotta admit, I like 'Bama, too. The world needs ditch-diggers.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Jk7oRafkf94/SSyNFN3VYnI/AAAAAAAAA4k/XI5CFF_3PgQ/s1600-h/bamanavy.jpg

OscarV
07-05-2010, 05:55
Gotta admit, I like 'Bama, too. The world needs ditch-diggers.

:slappin: yeah, good one.:slappin:

I heard Georgia coach Richt asked the NCAA if free bail money for his players would be a violation.

mrviognier
07-05-2010, 06:03
Can't seem to get this photo into my response...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Jk7oRafkf94/SSyNFN3VYnI/AAAAAAAAA4k/XI5CFF_3PgQ/s1600-h/bamanavy.jpg

:grin:

OscarV
07-05-2010, 06:11
Yep, great pic, we are proud of our service men from 'Bama.
But seriously, I think the Detroit Lions got a good one with Matthew Stafford.

mrviognier
07-05-2010, 06:22
They DID. Saw Matt when he played the Vikings this last season. Best part of it was when defensive back Asher Allen (also from UGA) would come in for a sack. The two of them would laugh and talk smack.

Virus_Of_Life
07-05-2010, 16:36
Mat, welcome to the site! I recently relocated to Minnesota myself, so hopefully some day we can meet up.

Joshua
07-05-2010, 20:40
Welcome to the site from another fellow Minnesota bourbon drinker!

mrviognier
07-06-2010, 04:25
Nice to see there's a MN contingency here! What are your favorite restaurants/bars? Given my job, I spend a lot of time in both. I assume you've been to the Happy Gnome? How 'bout Haute Dish? And some of the folks from the Gnome have opened a new concept called The Hangar Room.

birdman1099
07-06-2010, 05:43
Glad to see you finally made it over here, Mat !!! Welcome.

mrviognier
07-06-2010, 06:03
Yep...meant to do it months ago. While I may be slow to the uptake, I tend to make up for it in the long run.:grin:

fishnbowljoe
07-06-2010, 18:34
Welcome to SB Mat. We have a few members here that are in "the industry", in one form or another. Looking forward to your posts. Cheers! Joe

Josh
07-14-2010, 05:42
Should have said it sooner but,

Welcome Mat!

Sorry, I just had to say that. I get kicked out of the smartasses union if I don't.

Glad to see the MN contingent getting stronger. I got a lotta friends in MN, twin cities and elsewhere. Hopefully, sometime in the next year I'll be able to make it up there and hang with some of my fellow bourbonites, unless you're still pissed about the welcome mat remark.

Also glad to see another viognier lover on the board.:drinking:

mrviognier
07-14-2010, 05:49
Thanks...and, yes, I'm used to that pun. :rolleyes:

Come on up one of these days...I may even pull the cork on one of my old bottles of Viognier for you.:drink:

Trace Tippler
07-14-2010, 13:50
Well, that explains some of the good vibes. U of Georgia, eh? Some of my family went to school in Georgia, but not at the U. My dad was a Ramblin' Wreck.

Cordially,
Trace T.

mrviognier
07-14-2010, 17:38
Ah, so you're dad's smart, huh? The world needs engineers, and the world needs folks who make & sell alcohol. For the later, that's why there's UGA!