PDA

View Full Version : Christmas Party Bourbon

soad
12-09-2010, 09:44
So I've been talking up the virtues of a neat bourbon to my co-workers. They have put me in charge of bringing a bottle to the Christmas party so I can try and bring them over to our side. I want to keep the price under $30 and I want to keep the proof 90 or lower. My first thought was Beam Black, but I really don't want them to think "oh he just drinks Beam" (even though Black is pretty good compared to White). I kinda feel the same way about Makers...I want to bring something more interesting but less known to the table. Any suggestions?? Buffalo Trace? OGD 86? Thanks!!

smokinjoe
12-09-2010, 09:54
I find that Elmer T Lee is an approachable, sub-$30 bourbon that non-bourbonians enjoy. Neat little bottle. Neat story on who Elmer is. Probably not well known by your co-workers. If you can get in PA, you might try that.

Parkersback
12-09-2010, 10:29
ETL is a great suggestion.

Other possibilities:

Weller 12
Makers 46 (will be over 30)
EWSB

p_elliott
12-09-2010, 10:32
I was thinking maybe a ERSB 10/90 NICE Bottle too does't have that off putting "whiskey bottle" look for newbies

OscarV
12-09-2010, 11:29
WL Weller Special Reserve should fit the requirerments.
How about Old Rip Van Winkle 10yo 90prf?

soad
12-09-2010, 15:33
Thanks guys! I checked the PA LCB website and it looks like ETL, ERSB and MM46 are the ones available to me locally. I'm leaning toward the ERSB for the party and the ETL and the MM46 for my private collection :).....thanks!!

imbibehour
12-09-2010, 18:38
Elmer T Lee.

This is the bourbon I think of giving someone who wants to get into bourbon but is not sure of what to try first. I think it is the perfect introductory bourbon. Mild notes, wonderful but not overpowering the persons palate or nose. A very easy one, and a good price as well.

BrianBradford
12-09-2010, 18:51
I got started on Buffalo Trace and I loved it right off the bat. It has a really sweet almost vanilla taste to it. It doesn't burn that bad on an untrained pallet. Also, here in PA, it only costs about 20.99 right now. It single handedly brought me over to the straight side. And by straight side, I mean straight bourbon. Not that im not straight, eh, forget I said anything! :lol:

smokinjoe
12-17-2010, 15:12
So, what did you end up taking? And, how did it go? Get any new converts to our little family?
:toast:

soad
12-18-2010, 11:09
So, what did you end up taking? And, how did it go? Get any new converts to our little family?

The party is tonight! It was going to be last week but the 16 inches of snow we got pushed it back. I have a bottle of Eagle Rare ready to go! I will let you know tomorrow.

Stu
12-19-2010, 16:27
Kind of late to chime in now, but I'm surprised no one mentioned Four Roses. Good bourbon and you could tell them the neat story of its fall from grace when Seagrams bought them and its recent return to being one of the top sellers.

soad
12-19-2010, 17:28
The response to the bourbon went pretty well. A couple guys ended up mixing it with coke since "you didn't bring Jack" :hot:. Several tried it straight or with ice and they gave it high marks. The only one who I think I brought over to our side was a 23 year old female coworker (my wife was with me the whole night so I had to be a gentleman lol...) She really enjoyed it and asked a lot of questions about the production of bourbon. I ended up giving her the half full bottle at the end of the night.

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. If I were 10 years younger and single I might have ended up with her number thanks to bourbon :lol:

smokinjoe
12-19-2010, 22:14
Glad to hear it went well, and thanks for being a fine ambassador for Bourbonia. It sure seems that the ERSB was a really good choice to take. BTW, way to go with the potential conversion of the 23 year old gal. We need more of them on the site to liven it up. I mean, we've become so geeky with our favorit spirit, that we're beginning to post charts and diagrams, for Pete's sake! ;)

fishnbowljoe
12-20-2010, 15:27
I second what smokinjoe said. Glad it all went well. Cheers to you Soad! Joe (the other one) :grin: