PDA

View Full Version : Similar to Old Charter ??

Scrub
02-07-2011, 17:41
I picked up a bottle of Old Charter {8yr, I can't find 10yr in NC} on the recommendation of another SB member, and I find that I really like it.

I am asking for a few suggestions of similar bourbons that would be a bit higher in quality. I can tell this does not have the age & character of a few of the others I have in my cabinet, BUT I would very much like to try this flavor profile in a better quality/more refined bottle.

Any good ideas?

barturtle
02-07-2011, 17:49
George T Stagg and Eagle Rare are supposed to be the same mashbill.

Scrub
02-07-2011, 18:06
Thanks, I will check those out, if anyone has any other good ideas, let me know.

ErichPryde
02-07-2011, 20:56
Don't know how developed your taste in bourbon is yet, but a good one to move from from where you are is Eagle Rare single barrel. 10 years old, like you're looking for. 90 proof, same mashbill. A good barrel is good stuff. If you can find it for 25-30 bucks, it might be worth a try. When I was first starting this game, it was one of my regular go-to pours.

cgbakerjr
02-08-2011, 06:39
I'll third the Eagle Rare recommendation. It used to be my main pour. While I've gone in a different direction lately it still remains a staple to my bar.

Scrub
02-08-2011, 17:13
I have had it before, and I liked it, but my tastes have developed a fair bit over the past several months as I have snooped around here and tried new things. I guess I should probably go after it again. I also need to find some Old Charter 10 yr to compare with the 8 yr.