PDA

View Full Version : New in DC

bgageus
03-25-2011, 11:24
My wife and I have been frisky for whisky for a while and we just went on a belated honeymoon on the Bourbon Trail. It has been something we both wanted and finally found the time. Also, I got my wife a Bottle for Four Roses and a subscritions to the Bourbon County Reader as a Christmas Gift.
She is a freelance writer and food and drink blogger and posted about our trip www.cookinabar.blogspot.com (http://www.cookinabar.blogspot.com)
Her details are pretty remedial, but the audience is less informed than here.

Anyway we picked up a few things that we thought we could not find in DC, which included the following

What we picked up and where we got it included
Four Roses Small Batch Autographed...Barreling bottling Facility
Buffalo Trace Collectors Bottle
Eagle Rare Autograpphed....Both at BT Distillery
Makers... I dipped my own bottle (Had to after driving 10 hours)
Wild Turkey Rare Breed Customized Label...Wild Turkey
Parkers Heritage 27 yr..... Heaven Hill
Evan Williams Souveier decanter personalized label
Beam Black Autographed...Beam

Some of these were gifts, others were gifts to us.

We also learned of the Woodford Masters Collection and found
Woodford Reserve Maplewood ... Kroegers
When I got Home I found a Seasoned Oak on the top shelf of our neighborhood store and got it because I know once they are gone they are gone.

I was really interested learning more of the Limited Edition Bottlings, and wanted to know a little more...Is there a distinction betwwen some "experimental" and other limited editions? My thoughts are that Woodford and Four Roses are more experimental I thow tha Trace has some experimental too, while BTAC is a regular annual that does not seem experimental.

For refernece our tasing preferences... that we agreed on... was the Four Roses Small Batch (we liked this better than the SB), EC 18... we really liked the 12 also, Bookers and Woodford. By the way we were both pissed when Beam Offered us a Sample of Red Stag at the tour.. I almost asked just for more of the Bookers.
I picked up some SB Knob after we got back and think I may have a Beam Small Batch Favorite.

p_elliott
03-25-2011, 12:05
Welcome aboard you have many bourbon friends in the DC area you just don't know it. You also don't know that the DC area is is ripe for bourbon hunting. Things you are going to learn from this web site. I hope you like it here come join us in chat it's the gazebo on the top of the main forum page. You just missed all of us in bourbon country we will all be there at the end of April. Keep us informed on your journey with bourbon.

squire
03-25-2011, 14:07
Hey bgageus, welcome to you both. I fully agree on the FR Small Batch and the ECs. Drop by again and let us know your thoughts.

squire
03-25-2011, 14:10
Chat is found under The Gazebo, hours are irregular but the company is pleasant.

imbibehour
03-26-2011, 20:11
Welcome to the DC area mate... this reminds me to go dusty hunting sometime again..

bgageus
03-29-2011, 11:47
Welcome to the DC area mate... this reminds me to go dusty hunting sometime again..

Ive been in Dc for about 7 years, but recently branched out from drinking Jack. I cant believe that i was soo blind for soo long.