PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the LBC

LongBeachScott
05-29-2011, 16:06
Hello to all from Long Beach, CA.

I have been a lurker for quite awhile, but I recently decided to participate.

I have been on the bourbon bus for longer yet. Since my college days, really. Of course, as I have grown up and my income has grown with it, I have moved from Wild Turkey and Jim Beam into Blanton's, W.L Weller, and Michter's and beyond.

But, in the past weeks I have become interested in the lower shelves. I like to keep one or two bourbons on hand for friends who like a cocktail and it bugs me when they make a bourbon and coke with Blanton's! Normally, my go to for such purposes is Evan Williams, which I can get for about $10 for a 750mL bottle in SoCal. But, I have room on my bottom shelf and have a party coming up. So, what do you buy for a good cheap mixer for people who don't drink bourbon without coke in it?

Scott

mrviognier
05-30-2011, 16:15
Hey, Scott!

Welcome. Used to spend a lot of time in Long Beach...on business when I lived in San Luis Obispo.

For a inexpensive Bourbon for friends who like to mix with coke, I always have a bottle of Cabin Still lying around. It's produced by/at Heaven Hill, and is just fine with cola or soda.

Bourbon Boiler
05-30-2011, 18:59
Welcome aboard.

For such occasions I like to keep Maker's Mark available for two reasons. First it mixes pretty well, and second you can convince a non-whiskey drinker to drink it straight. The flavor is boring, but for the novice, boring is good.

LongBeachScott
06-14-2011, 23:46
Thanks!

I have never tried cabin still, but I see it around here so I may pick up a bottle to give it a try.

Maker's Mark was probably my second bourbon (after WT101) many years ago. I don't really drink it anymore but I know a lot of people who do. I have been steering people who like Maker's Mark to try one of the Buffalo Trace products. BT has a sweetness that people generally like and is a step up in my opinion at a similar price. I think they also like the bottle.

Tennessee Dave
06-15-2011, 06:08
Welcome to the forum. Enjoy yourself here.:cool:

PaulO
06-15-2011, 06:55
Evan Williams for $10 is hard to beat. You could try some of the bonded bourbons by Heaven Hill: JTS Brown, Dant, Old Heaven Hill. Also by HH is Ezra Brooks 90 (another decent budget pour). Maybe you could find a good deal on a 1.75L of Weller SR.