PDA

View Full Version : Peter Jake's Private Keep

MashBill
05-20-2003, 18:44
Does anybody have any info on this 10 year old KSB? According to the following website, the client for the bottle was House of Daniels. I thought they were involved in the California wine industry.

Demptos Glass Company (http://www.demptos.com/demp/hall/hall.html)

(By the way, the above site has some beautiful bourbon related photos.)

I'm just curious about the pedigree for this bourbon. Thanks,

robbyvirus
05-20-2003, 21:46
I was actually going to post on these boards asking if anyone has tried this bourbon. I have seen it in a couple of stores out here in California, selling for about $30 a bottle (if I recall correctly). I have not tried it. I can't remember the name of the distillery listed on the bottle, but it was in Bardstown.

cowdery
05-21-2003, 13:13
Interesting. Wild Turkey "Stampede" was news to me too. The image of a stampede of wild turkeys is pretty funny. Probably not what they had in mind.

I wouldn't get too excited about Peter Jake's. While I don't know anything about this product specifically, the vast majority of private labels bourbons are run-of-the-mill whiskey, usually made by Heaven Hill, in a fancy package. Nothing of interest for the true bourbon fans who inhabit this board.

MashBill
05-21-2003, 19:11
I figured as much about the Peter Jake's. I just found a couple of bottles locally. They were new to me so I snapped them up. I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

A friend brought me a WT Stampede on his way back from India last year. The bottle is pretty neat. It has a ceramic stopper with a metal release like old fruit jars used to have. Also, it came in an embossed tin "box". A really attractive package.

You are a City boy! Here in Kansas, a stampede of wild turkeys is no laughing matter.... http://www.straightbourbon.com/ubbthreads/images/icons/wink.gif They can kick up quite a dust cloud running full-tilt across the prairie. Also, they will f**k up your truck if you hit them going 80 mph. I saw a "herd" of 20 of them just yesterday. Glad I didn't "spook" them......

cowdery
05-22-2003, 10:14
I guess I am a "city boy." My only experience with wild turkeys has been in Kentucky, where they appeared only in small groups. They seemed pretty benign. I couldn't imagine them stampeding. I guess everything is more dangerous in Kansas.

Blackkeno
05-31-2003, 12:41
I received a bottle as a Christmas gift. It is pretty good for a change, but not something I will probably get another of. I find the nose starts a bit spicy (stronger than the proof would suggest too) then picks up a pastry aroma and hints of grass (and perhaps turpentine). The palate is lighter than the nose suggests with spice again and some woodiness. There is a pleasant sweetness that is more syrup than fruit based. The finish is dry with a touch of hay.