PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Illinois

Wall Eye
12-04-2011, 13:42
Really enjoying the forum so decided to jump in. I'm in Central Illinois - Bloomington.

In the past, I've enjoyed a Maker's from time to time but not enough to go buying other bourbons to try. A friend told me that Woodford Reserve was the best thing ever so I bought a bottle but I didn't really care for it. I think it took me 3 years to get through it.

But then I stumble into this site and consequently have been really enjoying some fine bourbons.

So far, I'm liking anything that leans to sweet and smooth. But I'm learning that I like the rye factor in those particular bourbons as well.

So far my favorites are

Blanton's - fruity sweet and very smooth, but with that rye spice
ETL - one of Blanton's taste cousins - very nice as well
Weller 12 - sweet with that wheater mellowness - letting the bottle catch some air really makes a difference
VOB BiB - thanks to reading here - slightly rougher edges but wow flavor and affordableness (is that a word?)

And I'm really enjoying occasional swigs of PHC 2010 and GTS 2011 as I work on the palate. They both offer intensity (can't think of a better word) that I haven't experienced before.

So while I won't have much to offer for awhile, I look forward to soaking up the benefits of your collective bourbon knowledge.

Bourbon Boiler
12-05-2011, 06:49
Welcome aboard. You've picked out some nice bottles to accelerate your learning curve, and some pretty good notes for a self-confessed new guy. The best way to use others' notes is to figure out what other bottles are likely to be similar to things you already know you like and why.

tommyboy38
12-06-2011, 19:00
Always glad to have another Illinois bourbon drinker on board.
Now that you've become more experienced, you can mock the Woodford drinkers as I do.

Wall Eye
12-07-2011, 06:16
Always glad to have another Illinois bourbon drinker on board.
Now that you've become more experienced, you can mock the Woodford drinkers as I do.

:lol: A wise man (I think it was my uncle - who was known to have a few drinks from time to time) once said there are no bad beers - just some you like better than others. And I have no doubt that bourbon is the same deal. I'm finding that bourbon is interesting (as well as enjoyable).

I've also found that as deficient as Illinois is in many areas, (politics, taxes, crappy weather, etc.) we enjoy access to a pretty wide selection of bourbons - either in the store or through the mail. And Kentucky isn't all that far away...

ACDetroit
12-07-2011, 19:03
Welcome to the board! I do agree with you comments and travel thru IL quite often on my way to Iowa (which sucks for whiskey) I travel with my own bourbon. If your up for a tasting any time let me know, as I will pack appropriately!

p_elliott
12-08-2011, 09:14
Hey Tony as you know I live in Iowa and we resemble that remark. That's Why I go to Missouri to buy my whiskey. Wall eye welcome to the site hope you have fun here. Come join us in chat some time, it's the Gazebo on the top of the main forum page.