PDA

View Full Version : New to SB from Oregon

FishinPete
01-01-2012, 12:18
I'm one of them middle-aged, government bureaucrats from Oregon :grin:

I love fishing (salmon, tuna, trout, halibut), photography, my daughter and a nice glass of corn squeezin's.

My palate probably isn't what it should be, so I'm hoping to learn more about my drink of choice from folks who've made more of a science of it than I have.

Occasionally I'll do a private blind tasting to see what filters to the top. The results are pretty consistent for me, so here's a rank ordered list of my tastes.

Woodford Reserve Distiller's Select
Four Roses Single Barrel
Very Special Old Fitzgerald 12
Ezra Brooks Single Barrel 12
Maker's Mark
Bulleit Frontier
Ezra 90
Rebel Yell
Old Grand Dad
Old Crow
Monarch A Blend
Jack Daniels

The greens are ones I always enjoy, but push my budget. The orange are my regulars and the purples are ones I'm unlikely to spend any money on.

Here in Oregon, we've got a bunch of new craft distillers springing up. For the most part, it's still early days. It'll be a few years before they have enough barrel time to be tasty. But it's exciting to watch the progress and anticipate something local to be proud of.

35 years ago, I was on the front line of the Oregon Microbrew revolution, publishing Northwest Microbrew News. I had the honor of tasting McMenamin brews before they were publicly released. Same to with Bridgeport Ales and Pyramid Ales. The local ales crushed the bland commercial lager industry and elevated local drinkers to world class status. Portland has more pubs & taverns per capita than any other city in the U.S.A. Over time, I expect to see similar, thoughtful growth of our local bourbon industry.

Glad to have found this site and looking forward to learning more and meeting interesting people!

Happy New Year!

CaptainQ
01-01-2012, 17:30
Welcome to the club Pete! Just a few hours north of you.
:toast:

Virus_Of_Life
01-01-2012, 18:37
Welcome to the site Pete, we'll have to try and get together sometime in the not too distant future... And if you're a government guy I'll apologize in advance for ranting about what should be done around here.

Cheers!

FishinPete
01-01-2012, 20:01
I joke about being a "gubmnt" guy, but for 25 years I've been bringing efficiency, effectiveness and cost savings to government operations at the city and county level. I have no excuses (or comprehension) of what the state and federal folks are thinking about!

So, VOL, "West of the Rockies" is a pretty broad swath of territory ...

In my other life, I also moderate and administer a vBulletin based web-site. We're a little bigger than SB, but I appreciate the way SB seems to run knowing that "behind the curtain" there are dedicated folks that have hard decisions all the time.

As for tonight, I'm down to just 2 roses - gonna have to freshen the bouquet!

JayMonster
01-02-2012, 08:40
From one newbie to another, welcome aboard.

One thing I have learned here is that Bourbon prices seem to vary a lot from place to place as your listing shows me. Here in the Garden State, Maker's is about $5 more per bottle than the Woodford Reserve.

I have yet to try the Woodford (bought it for a tasting, but didn't get to it... yet), but seeing that high on your list as you being (like me) somebody that likes Maker's, and dislikes OGD, means I am looking forward to it even more now.

Since prices seem different in your neck of the woods, I am hesitant to comment on prices, but Weller's (which I haven't found yet, but has been recommended to me as somebody who drinks Maker's Mark), and Buffalo Trace (which I have just tried and absolutely fell in love with), are inexpensive (well based on what I have been told about Weller's, but I know Buffalo Trace around NJ) and would seem to fit your favorites profile since we seem to have some very similar likes and dislikes.

And again, welcome aboard.

FishinPete
01-02-2012, 09:15
Thanks for the suggestions! I have Buffalo Trace on my "to do" list, along with Weller's Special Reserve. Both are the same price as Maker's here. Woodford is about 25% more than those or Makers, but is a tasty treat.

Here in Oregon, we're still suffering from Prohibition. The state does all the distribution and sales of liquor. Prices here reflect an effort to enforce termperance. A few years ago I was in Washington, DC, where I saw Remy VSOP at 3 fifths for $100. Compared to Oregon's $85 a bottle, I saw the light. Now, whenever I travel I supplement through "retrieval missions".

FishinPete
02-16-2012, 14:10
Have to add a new favorite to the top of my list! For Valentine's Day, my girlfriend gave me a bottle of Black Maple Hill small batch 14 yo. Whooee! Dat's sum tasty squeezin's! Anyone drops an ice cube in that ought to be lashed!

ckgdrums
02-16-2012, 14:22
Welcome, from one new guy to another... :cool: