PDA

View Full Version : Another Noob from the Garden State

woodisgood
01-06-2012, 11:23
Howdy, all! My name is John, semi-longtime lurker here. My love affair with bourbon started in my late teens with the usual Jack D., Jim B., and WWA (Whatever Was Around). Liquor and beer (and maybe something else too) were things I used to get blotto, not enjoy leisurely. So I wasn't thrown for a loop until my first sip of Makers Mark in my early 20s, when I learned the art of relaxation; it quickly became my second water.

I moved from NJ to Brooklyn, where I resided for over twenty years, and was exposed to many bourbons, scotches, and other delectable drinkables. I remember trying Knob Creek in the mid 1990s, and oooh boy, that was the beginning of another long love affair.

Then, one day late in 2004, I walked into a liquor store on 14th St., NYC, searching for something new, and I saw my glass wife: She wore a label depicting an old gentleman smoking a stogie. She was 15; her sister was 20. The proprietor told me other customers raved about the stuff, and that was good enough for me. And since then I've found myself chasing after bottles each fall for my yearly supply (something that became incredibly harder for me to accomplish these past two years—but I never fail).

I've had some quiet affairs with their cousins, the Antiques. I chase them less so, but manage to find a few bottles of the Sazerac and Stagg to last me until the next release. A Weller Antique might find itself in my cupboard now and again. But otherwise, I don't really purchase any others. Whenever I go out with friends, I'm content to try other bourbons then; rarely am I so blown away that I feel the need to buy them for the home. I always come back to my personal harem, and that suits my palate just fine.

I'm not a drink-a-day guy, so my stash lasts me for a year. Spring and summer find me having a few fingers two or three times a week. Particularly cold winter nights will find me sipping some Stagg. After 25+ years of living and learning, I'm well acquainted with my personal limits when it comes to alcohol, so while my stash at full stock may only contain no more than 11 or 12 bottles (dwindling as they do come October), I'm content with how I drink my water.

I made my first visit to Kentucky last June, spending time at Buffalo Trace, Makers Mark, and Woodford Reserve. The wife and I loved it, especially (natch) the BT visit. My only regret was not doing it sooner; we'll definitely do it again in the future.

I do not sell alcohol on eBay (though I may purchase a bottle or three when necessary); I do not hoard to sell or trade—I hoard for my own personal use. I simply drink what I love, and enjoy reading about bourbon, both online, in forums, and in books and magazines.

I doubt I'll comment much, but I love reading peoples' opinions about bourbons, so I raise a glass to you, my fellow lovers of firewater.

fishnbowljoe
01-06-2012, 14:49
Welcome to SB John. Great introductory post! Comment and post whenever you can. If you want to have some real fun, stop in the chat room some night. It's free. :slappin: Cheers! Joe

pepcycle
01-07-2012, 07:38
Welcome!!

North Jersey or South?

woodisgood
01-07-2012, 19:13
Welcome!!

North Jersey or South?

Northish Jersey, 'round ol' Scotch Plains. (Love that name!)

JayMonster
01-11-2012, 04:58
Welcome from "the other guy in NJ that drinks bourbon" or probably more correctly, the other guy from NJ that doesn't think the only bourbons in the world are Wild Turkey and Old Grand Dad.

I have to admit I am more than curious... how have you found some of your favorites in NJ? For example, I have yet to find a Weller anywhere I have looked.

DrinkyBanjo
01-11-2012, 05:30
Welcome! As another North Jersey Bourbonite it's nice to see us represent. I used to purchase and participate on this board a lot but since my kids have been born both have slowed dramatically. Lucky for me I built up quite a bunker before they were born and am now happily diminishing it slowly!

Some things to try if you haven't that are available in NJ. Wild Turkey Rare Breed, Elmer T Lee, Evan Williams Single Barrel, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Four Roses Single Barrel, Rock Hills Farms.

Good places to shop, Liquor Outlet Wine Cellars (Boonton), Shoppers Vineyard (Clifton), Garys (many locations) Wine Library (Springfield).

Tony
01-11-2012, 06:12
Howdy John: I hope you are great.

Welcome from Michigan.

Best regards, tony