PDA

View Full Version : Another member from western NY

weave
04-29-2012, 18:45
Hey folks. I've lurked around this site for the past 2 or so years now. Finally felt the desire to sign up. I'm predominately a beer and bourbon drinker. I'm also a homebrewer. And a cigar smoker. Started drinking bourbon in my late 20's (about 20 years ago:grin:), mostly in the form of Jim Beam Manhattans. At some point I switched to Maker's Mark. And eventually the vermouth became token editions to my drink. I finally admitted that it was that amber liquid I was after and not the vermouth, and my drinks became one ingredient. Maker's Mark led to Wild Turkey, Baker's and Booker's. I discovered Blanton's when my loving wife bought me a bottle for Father's Day. That led to new and interesting bottles every Father's Day. Last year I was given a bottle of VWFRR. I think I'll keep her a little longer. At least until mid-June anyway. :grin:

We made a pilgrimmage to Kentucky two years ago and toured Woodford Reserve, Heaven Hill, and Four Roses. At the time I was not at all familiar with Four Roses. Their tour led me to regular purchases of 4RSB.

Thanks to you folks I now have a Weller habit. Based on the comments on this site I hunted down a local retailer that carries Weller. I now always have bottles of OWA and WSR on hand.

Anyway. Thanks of all of the good advice. I look forward to talking to you folks.

Clavius
04-29-2012, 20:35
Hello and welcome!

BFerguson
05-07-2012, 20:22
Welcome to the group.

Not sure what she has in mind for the next bottle, but it's going to be tough to top that rye. She's a keeper for sure.

Second the Weller thought. Hands down a great inexpensive everyday pour.

B

Bourbon Boiler
05-08-2012, 20:21
Welcome aboard. The advice I always give to starters is not to climb the shelf too high too fast. Looks like you took a pretty good route to find what you like, with an assist to your wife.