View Full Version : A little help?: Jamie 08 & Schenley OFC from 1954

07-04-2012, 12:23
Brought the family down to Atlanta for some much-needed R&R. This morning I helped my father re-organize his liquor cabinet, and happened across a full bottle of Jamie 08 Scotch...no UPC, no gov't warning. Anyone know anything about this one? I searched the internet, but nothing informative popped up. Would be obliged if anyone could shed some light on this bottling.

Also came across a half-full bottle of Schenley OFC Canadian from 1954. Haven't sampled it yet, but soon will. Does anyone have an idea as to the mashbill on this?

Thanks in advance!

07-04-2012, 13:02
Well the OFC would have been made at Valleyfield, Quebec, still operating and owned I think now by Diageo. It would be interesting to compare it to one of today, the brand is still made. That plant was built in 1945 and therefore a bottle from 1954 would be some of the earliest production since OFC was and is, I think, 8 years old. It is possible too though that the whisky was distilled in 1954 and marketed in 1962, but either way it should offer a good example of Canadian as it was in the post-Second World War era.

It would have the typical Canadian mashbill of mixed grains (corn, rye, barley malt, probably) with perhaps an all-rye flavouring whisky added distilled at low proof. Michael Jackson, writing in the 1980's, liked the Schenley brands and considered them well-matured examples of Canadian whisky.

I haven't heard of that Scotch, it's probably a blend and '08 probably refers to 1808. (Was a James on the throne then?). It would be interesting to compare to any current blended Scotch.

07-04-2012, 17:14
I have a 12 y/o Old Fire Copper from 1948 that I will bring along to Bardstown. If you have some new stuff, bring it.
Joe :usflag: